Incoming Freshmen Choosing College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AQUAA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN! I'm an incoming freshman and need help choosing between two colleges. I live in NYC and want to go to Penn State but b/c I'm an OOS student, tuition is pretty expensive and I'm not sure if it is worth the cost. My question is, do dental schools care which college students go for undergrad? My other choice is CUNY City College which is more affordable. Does going to a well-known college matter to dental schools? And how much loans in average do Pre-Dental students usually borrow?

Some reasons I want to go to Penn State is:
- I want to dorm. (I have a weird feeling that a change of environment could possibly teach me better time management and lead to higher GPA b/c I can't really see myself changing the way I study after high school unless I live in a different environment. I want to be more independent.)
- Top ranked! But does it matter?
- More clubs/activities!
- Better Biology program than City College?
- IF, I don't get accepted to dental school after max 3 tries, correct? I still have a Penn State degree and since PSU has such a large alumni network, I could still land onto a job. (Not sure what kind though since all I want is to become is a dentist.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Random thought: Are colleges that are also a dental school usually the ones with the best pre-dental programs for undergrads?

Hi SDN! I'm an incoming freshman and need help choosing between two colleges. I live in NYC and want to go to Penn State but b/c I'm an OOS student, tuition is pretty expensive and I'm not sure if it is worth the cost. My question is, do dental schools care which college students go for undergrad? My other choice is CUNY City College which is more affordable. Does going to a well-known college matter to dental schools? And how much loans in average do Pre-Dental students usually borrow?

- I want to dorm. (I have a weird feeling that a change of environment could possibly teach me better time management and lead to higher GPA b/c I can't really see myself changing the way I study after high school unless I live in a different environment. I want to be more independent.)
- Top ranked! But does it matter?
- More clubs/activities!
- Better Biology program than City College?
- IF, I don't get accepted to dental school after max 3 tries, correct? I still have a Penn State degree and since PSU has such a large alumni network, I could still land onto a job. (Not sure what kind though since all I want is to become is a dentist.

Thank you!

Go where you think that you can earn the best GPA and have the most meaningful college experience. I understand that is tough to know without actually going to a university, but maybe other factors such as being closer or further from home might make your college experience better or easier. College rank doesn't matter. Go where you'll be happy, it makes a big difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the EXACT same problem down to the OOS question.

Read this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=904821

Bottom line is:
Undergrad matters for sure, but not as much as you would think.

Go wherever makes you happiest even if that means loans. Some may disagree with this, but you can't put a price tag on happiness.

So how much loans do undergrad Pre-dental students usually owe? Is it bad to owe a lot before dental school?

So how much loans do undergrad Pre-dental students usually owe? Is it bad to owe a lot before dental school?

No one is going to be able to tell you the amount of loans pre-dental students take out because it is so variable. Owing a lot before dental school isn't the greatest idea because you are only gonna owe more after you are done with dental school. It's a long and costly education.

(I have a weird feeling that a change of environment could possibly teach me better time management and lead to higher GPA b/c I can't really see myself changing the way I study after high school unless I live in a different environment. I want to be more independent.)

"I have a weird feeling." What kind of reasoning is that. Your 18 relax. From that statement alone you should not undertake massive amounts of loans to go to UPENN. If you want to be a dentist you better change the way you study no matter where you go. What undergrad you go to doesnt matter (outside of completing all your pre-req at a community college). If you want freedom, find a mature and reliable roommate from high school, get a job and move out.

http://tuition.psu.edu/tuitiondynamic/rates.aspx?location=aa_bk_bd_cl#aa_bk_bd_cl-NonPA
It is 10k per semester for an OOS. WOW. 10k so you can study better, Suze Orman would be infuriated at your reasoning. You need to really think about what your doing because if you take on 20k a year for 1 year and cant pull the grades that debt is stuck with you forever.

Use this calculator and figure out your loan payments after 4 years attending UPENN at 7% interest:
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-loan-calculator.aspx

Then tell me is freedom and a weird feeling worth that monthly payment. No matter what undergrad you go to a 3.75 gpa and 20+ dat will get you in a dental school.

Set yourself up for a good life. Having a good life requires you not to be a slave to a monthly debt. BE SMART not impulsive.

Last edited:
What do you think if I go to a cheaper school (most likely City College) for a year then apply to transfers to see if I can get into any better university that offers a good amount of aid?

I would definitely choose City College. I graduated from a CUNY school and had quite a few acceptances (Including UCSF, Penn, UNC, UMD, Mich). You don't want to rack up unnecessary debt especially before D-school. If you do very well at CCNY, you'll be fine.

Which CUNY did you go to and what GPA and DAT did you have? Are you a current dental student?

You could also consider transferring to save some money, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm doing that right now, and it's a pain.

You could also consider transferring to save some money, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm doing that right now, and it's a pain.

Could you elaborate on the 'pain'? I am considering transferring. :)

I'm transferring out of my cc once this semesters done.. I'll be a sophomore at my 4 year and let's just say.. So many people were saying it's a pain in the butt to transfer and get papers done and all that.. All you need to do is make sure you have enough transfer credits or however the system works, go to admissions office of cc and ask to give you an official to give to the school you want to transfer too or tell them to mail it to the school for you, then apply for financial aid at the school, then you will receive an estimate and awards based off your transfer gpa.

They have counselors that do all this for you. Once you are interested in a school you schedule with an advisor and they take you through everything. There is an enrollment, academic and pre-professional counselor (I'm not sure if every school has a pre-professional but mine does). They'll take you through everything.

Just make sure you look on the universities website for transfer students and make sure you qualify for everything. If the school has rolling admissions like mine, then you can apply between fall/spring when you want to transfer the next year and it will be so much easier. Less people apply between fall/spring so it's easier to connect with an advisor and get an acceptance.

Good luck and pm me for any questions.

I'm transferring from a four year state school to a 4 year flagship. I would not recommend the CC route.

It's just a hassle. You can't look at what your school needs you have to consider your transfer options and what courses transfer over. For example my state school only requires precalc for a biology degree...but my new school will require calc II.

Second, you have to get acclimated twice. You make friends, get involved, meet teachers, get to know the school your first year and then(assuming you transfer after the first year and not your second..which is worse IMO) you have to start all over. When you transfer you will be taking upper level courses and you will be busy as hell. You won't even have time to get to enjoy your new school.

Also, if you're transferring to a "better" school you should note that classes will generally be harder. Sci classes are pretty standard. A proton in NY is a proton in MA, but teaching method and grade scale vary as do assignments and tests.

It's a big pain, but I'm not satisfied with what I'm getting at my uni and dental schools account for undergrad so I'm transferring to my flagship. I know I will enjoy my new school and the pros out weigh the cons for me personally.

I mean it's great that you're considering it. It will look great to see that you want to push yourself in transferring...plus it may open more doors down the road.

See, NY is different. You guys don't really have that one big flagship everyone goes to. The CUNY and SUNY system is just different. My cousins went to Stony and NYU. Two pre-med and one pre-dent. They all loved their expierence. The NYU twins spent way more money than needed. They got into michigan, washington, BU etc. but they loved NYU and now they're in med school.

If you live in michigan...it's either michigan state or Umish. If you live in Ohio it's usually OSU. If you live in GA it's usually UGA(or if you're brave you'll go to GA tech or emory)

Also with transferring you can also consider where you want to go and live. At that point if you can get into dental schools in the new state you could consider residency. If you think you can, you can change your residency and get in-state for maybe senior year AND dental school. That's a lot of money saved. Since NYU is private you may want to consider this.

Dental school costs a lot of money. Sometimes spending more money on undergrad will work in your favor even financially.

Feel free to PM me for more questions. I've done so much research on transferring I could write my senior thesis on it :laugh:

Is it possible to know which credits transfer so I know which courses I should take in my current college?

Didn't read entire post/essay...but some advice...
Go to the place where u think u will do the best!! Get highest grades.

Save your money & forget the myth that ivy league gives u special privileges for being mediocre& getting in because of your school status/rank. I know its unfair but that the truth.

Go to the cheapest place as long as its a4 year accredited institution (not cc).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk