Incoming M1 c/o 2020 Back to school thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Tony T. Chopper

Professional Whippersnapper
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ITT We post our back to school plans/shopping lists and talk about our feelings.:oops:

Cold feet, anybody?
bullets.gif

Before the craziness starts, I'm still trying to get a few things straight. My school's facebook page is already buzzing with tidbits, specialty club solicitations, random encouragements, intramural sports team promotions, and links to "legal" copies of ebooks.

Also, I'm 95% percent sure that I should be getting some kind of giant white board to do my scribbles and studying.

It's pretty crazy to think about how I'll be throwing all my stuff into a crappy civic and driving across the country to start a new life studying and working non-stop. At the same time, I am stoked out of my mind just imagining all the people I will meet, and the new things I'll see...and cadavers!

How far is everyone along in packing up, finding apartments, getting situated etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm sorry..back to school? And I just started summer?

lol.

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lel

But seriously OP that's kinda crazy that people are already posting ebooks and stuff. Wut
The facebook pages were filled with mostly M3 club officers passing the torch to M2s and M1s so they can take over after they leave for rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Golf. Lots of golf. All summer. That's literally all I'm doing. Y'all crazy people can keep your ebooks and First Aid. I'll be on the first tee.

Side note: iPhone autocorrects ebooks to Ebola lololol

Reactions: 11 users
Find me at the beach until August.

I will admit though ... on the day I got my acceptance, I started assembling a list of school supplies on Amazon. What can I say? There's just something special about color-coded note cards.

Reactions: 3 users
I know I should be excited or happy I'm starting medical school in a few months, but this "numb" feeling is NOT what I expected. Hopefully it'll hit me when orientation starts :lame:

Reactions: 16 users
I just want to go. Instead I spend my time wasting away, and not in Margaritaville.

Reactions: 6 users
I just want to go. Instead I spend my time wasting away, and not in Margaritaville.
Me too, but then again I don't. I'm finding it harder and harder to get up for work in the morning because I just don't care anymore. I really want to be able to dive into my studies again. But also I don't wanna move and leave my friends behind yet :( gotta party it up this spring/summer!

I'm driving across country (30 hours) and I am NOT looking forward to that!! I am excited for a new adventure, but also worried about the first weeks of adjusting.

Reactions: 3 users
Me too, but then again I don't. I'm finding it harder and harder to get up for work in the morning because I just don't care anymore.
I feel your pain I've been struggling to care about work since I put in my two weeks notice. I'm leaving for a 6 week trip tomorrow night, work is the last thing on my mind.

I feel your pain I've been struggling to care about work since I put in my two weeks notice. I'm leaving for a 6 week trip tomorrow night, work is the last thing on my mind.
I have two and a half months left :arghh: it's an easy enough job though haha.

i have been swiping in my new town getting my rotation of HBBs ready

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot motivate myself to care about work. It's been 2 yrs with something I don't enjoy. I said that I would work until the 3rd week of July and I already scaled that back to the end of June....I'm considering scaling it back to May 13th

Reactions: 13 users
It feels strange...I have felt such mind numbing boredom not learning since I stopped studying for MCAT and just worked. On one hand I'm excited to get to learn things again but on the other I worry I'm going to be rusty.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 8 users
At my school's facebook page its just people talking about subletting and taking over leases/finding roommates lol. Nothing else has really been discussed. I got a lease so that's sorted out. Other things that I know so far I have to buy are:
1. New laptop (lighter, more battery life)
2. Whiteboard.
3. More formal clothes ( so that I don't have to cycle through the same 3-4 shirts)
4. Textbook related stuff is on hold since I don't know anything about choosing them anyway.

Haven't even graduated with my Bachelor's yet (well...a week away) and the thought of all this is pretty exciting for the fall!

Reactions: 4 users
Ever since I got my acceptance, my life has taken a turn downwards at 60mph. The first month in, I was sleeping in till freaking 1pm everyday, playing bball and watching tv shows while eating snacks in my bed. It was too cush, and my life was being poisoned. Its gotten better since then.....I go on runs to get lean, and I've kept myself reading from my GoodReads list and current events everyday so I at least stay connected with the world. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 5 users
It feels strange...I have felt such mind numbing boredom not learning since I stopped studying for MCAT and just worked. On one hand I'm excited to get to learn things again but on the other I worry I'm going to be rusty.

Quick! Tell me the IUPAC for this!
Organic-Chemistry-3-03-C.jpg

Ever since I got my acceptance, my life has taken a turn downwards at 60mph. The first month in, I was sleeping in till freaking 1pm everyday, playing bball and watching tv shows while eating snacks in my bed. It was too cush, and my life was being poisoned. Its gotten better since then.....I go on runs to get lean, and I've kept myself reading from my GoodReads list and current events everyday so I at least stay connected with the world. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

dude..I'm still in school and have been sleeping till noon 5 days a week (apart from the day I have lab classes). I was done with most of my hard engineering classes so it was not that bad. Definitely drank 3-4 nights a week instead of the 1-2 I had during earlier years and in general just chilled more + NETFLIX (seriously..till 4am..why did I do it I don't know). Getting back on track now, going home and gonna be able to focus more on fitness there plus volunteer at this place I've volunteered for the past 3 summers etc. and spend time with family. Any good books you recommend? I mostly do non-fiction.

Reactions: 1 users
acetamide cyclohexan-4-ol???
(omg my brain is leaking out of my skull)

Reactions: 2 users
dude..I'm still in school and have been sleeping till noon 5 days a week (apart from the day I have lab classes). I was done with most of my hard engineering classes so it was not that bad. Definitely drank 3-4 nights a week instead of the 1-2 I had during earlier years and in general just chilled more + NETFLIX (seriously..till 4am..why did I do it I don't know). Getting back on track now, going home and gonna be able to focus more on fitness there plus volunteer at this place I've volunteered for the past 3 summers etc. and spend time with family. Any good books you recommend? I mostly do non-fiction.

Same. Read everything from Atul Gawande in this order: Better, Checklist Manifesto, Complications, Being Mortal. It will give you the most logical approach to how Dr. Gawande makes his personal journey from a green surgical resident to a lean, mean doctoring machine.

I also recommend the following books in no particular order: Stiff: The curious lives of human cadavers by Mary Roach, When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi, Emperor of all Maladies by Siddartha Muhkerjee, The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat by Oliver Sacks, The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy, Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
That's it, hand your acceptance over! :nono:

Could you imagine... I honestly didn't mind chemistry, but Organic seemed like such a waste of time. I will be surprised if I see much of it during medical school.

It's paracetamol but I don't remember the rest.

I am so excited omg. But I'm also excited for the summer. I'm graduating on Sunday, and I decided to stay in Cleveland until the end of June to continue working at my ice cream store. It's just such a great job, I didn't want to leave! Not the best pay but I'm sure whatever I make I'll spend in about 5 minutes on school supplies and stuff anyways.

I have absolutely no idea what I need to buy. Luckily my apartment that I'll be renting is furnished, so I don't need to buy any furniture. I would like to buy a nice mattress though. One of those fancy tempurpedics or something. Also need to buy an iPad.

I cannot motivate myself to care about work. It's been 2 yrs with something I don't enjoy. I said that I would work until the 3rd week of July and I already scaled that back to the end of June....I'm considering scaling it back to May 13th

Seriously. I gave a firm date in the middle of June as my last day, but now even that seems way too long. Can I really make it another month in a job I never cared for, right after my investment level dropped off a cliff because I got accepted? Stay tuned to find out.

I also recommend the following books in no particular order: Stiff: The curious lives of human cadavers by Mary Roach, When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi, Emperor of all Maladies by Siddartha Muhkerjee, The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat by Oliver Sacks, The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy, Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.
"Stiff" was excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to leave my job and start relaxing soon, but I think I need to ride it out til the end of June unless I want to risk having no health insurance before school coverage starts (I can extend my health benefits by one month past my resignation).

ITT We post our back to school plans/shopping lists and talk about our feelings.:oops:

Cold feet, anybody?
bullets.gif

Before the craziness starts, I'm still trying to get a few things straight. My school's facebook page is already buzzing with tidbits, specialty club solicitations, random encouragements, intramural sports team promotions, and links to "legal" copies of ebooks.

Also, I'm 95% percent sure that I should be getting some kind of giant white board to do my scribbles and studying.

It's pretty crazy to think about how I'll be throwing all my stuff into a crappy civic and driving across the country to start a new life studying and working non-stop. At the same time, I am stoked out of my mind just imagining all the people I will meet, and the new things I'll see...and cadavers!

How far is everyone along in packing up, finding apartments, getting situated etc?
Wellll...I'm still living in Guatemala and my family messaged me to say that the car I was planning to move with isn't worth fixing (it was fine when I left). I need to find an apt, stat, but nobody seems to be able to check places out in person. We've still got time, though. Oh, and med schools still want noncustodial parent information and mine is...terrible...at being responsible, so I have no finaid information yet. Did I mention that my school starts the first week of July? :help::laugh:

As for the whiteboard thing: personally I prefer covering my desk with white paper and then taping the clear plastic page protectors over the top. Cheap whiteboard that usually comes with enough sheets that you can replace it for free for as long as you want! You can even put cheat sheets underneath if there's some info you use a lot.

Alternatively, paper + glass for a more permanent desk-board upgrade. You can also use Sharpie + etOH on glass, it's way better than whiteboard (the markers last longer and you only erase things intentionally! Plus, the 'board' doesn't lose its eraseability like whiteboards do.

Reactions: 2 users
Wellll...I'm still living in Guatemala and my family messaged me to say that the car I was planning to move with isn't worth fixing (it was fine when I left). I need to find an apt, stat, but nobody seems to be able to check places out in person. We've still got time, though. Oh, and med schools still want noncustodial parent information and mine is...terrible...at being responsible, so I have no finaid information yet. Did I mention that my school starts the first week of July? :help::laugh:

As for the whiteboard thing: personally I prefer covering my desk with white paper and then taping the clear plastic page protectors over the top. Cheap whiteboard that usually comes with enough sheets that you can replace it for free for as long as you want! You can even put cheat sheets underneath if there's some info you use a lot.

Alternatively, paper + glass for a more permanent desk-board upgrade. You can also use Sharpie + etOH on glass, it's way better than whiteboard (the markers last longer and you only erase things intentionally! Plus, the 'board' doesn't lose its eraseability like whiteboards do.
Yeah I've also thought about building my own board, but I was leaning more towards getting a roll of white board material and laying it over one of my walls to make a giant surface. Then I could use electrical tape to partition lines for different portions.

I'm in the middle of moving into my place for school! Slowly organizing things so that it doesn't just look like a pile of boxes and other random stuff strewn around. Don't like cleaning or any of that stuff so...it kinda sucks but I'd rather get it over with now than right before school. I gotta say, it's slowly starting to look like home :)

On the other hand, I'm alternating between excitement (20%), nervousness (20%), and fear (60%). And I don't know if being neurotic is a habit now or something, but I need to get my health clearance finally sorted out even though there's still a month before it's due...and it keeps nagging at me so I suppose I'll do it tomorrow or Monday...

I don't know what IUPAC is, I've never used a whiteboard in my life...you all are making me feel like I'm very behind. :p

It's the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry you filthy casuals. Can I have your acceptances?

Reactions: 27 users
Yeah I've also thought about building my own board, but I was leaning more towards getting a roll of white board material and laying it over one of my walls to make a giant surface. Then I could use electrical tape to partition lines for different portions.
I just really, really, don't like whiteboard material. Expensive, perishable, turns ugly quickly. There's no good way to clean it without effing up the coating, and once the coating starts to go it will always look terrible and gradually become less useful. Even blackboards are better than whiteboards. But most other things are better than either!

It's paracetamol but I don't remember the rest.

It's paracetaminophenol, which is why half the world calls it paracetamol and the other half calls it acetaminophen!

Edit: sorry, that was from memory. Google shows that it's actually paracetylaminophenol, short for the full N-acetyl-para-aminophenol, IUPAC N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)acetamide

Last edited:
Currently re-watching Grey's Anatomy only with Spanish audio and subtitles. That counts as medical Spanish studying, right?!?

Note: the original plan was Scrubs, but that's not on Guatemalan Netflix.

I have heard about the whiteboard too and I am allergic to chalk. What are you planning to do @mehc012? I am looking to buy an iPad Pro maybe for writing since I learn by writing but it's crazy expensive. Heard negative things about surface and bad experiences with my pc laptops from undergrad. am too excited to start shopping for my new place!

I have heard about the whiteboard too and I am allergic to chalk. What are you planning to do @mehc012? I am looking to buy an iPad Pro maybe for writing since I learn by writing but it's crazy expensive. Heard negative things about surface and bad experiences with my pc laptops from undergrad. am too excited to start shopping for my new place!
I've got an Acer R13 with active stylus...it's wonderful!

For the record, I don't actually take notes. I've found the touchscreen useful in a number of other areas, but I've never been a note-taker and in fact learn far less when I try to write in ANY way during class. I just sit there and ask annoying questions, sorry folks.

I do like having a whiteboard scratchpad on my desk, but I'm going to do that either with page protectors (what I have now) or glass.

For all of us seniors out there: senior week is for getting drunk and doing what you haven't been able to do during college. Honestly so excited for the summer and beyond now that pre-med is done and dusted. I can pursue my real life goals from now on. Although I'm still kinda sceptical on how much of this will continue into medical school given that I'm 21...and the average college student is much more of a real person than I am..and I've seen this especially from top 20 schools.

I'm in a gap year so I am slightly anxious to get started on some days and then other days I feel like there is no time to do everything I want! I also have an earlier start date (early July) so I actually already have all my stuff moved to the new city and an apartment lease waiting to be signed. Spending the rest of my time in my hometown!

Ditto on buying a gigantic whiteboard. I have always been crazy about using colors so I am going to do a massive haul on jetpens.com for writing utensils. I have a slight obsession with school supplies so I am pretty excited to get more haha

Side note: iPhone autocorrects ebooks to Ebola lololol

Funny story, one time I was pretty sick and got lab work done. My dad is a doctor and got it faxed to him, and I was at work about to sit in on peds hem/onc rounds. He texts me that my Ebola test came back positive. I text him back, "Ebola???? What does this mean!? How is this possible???" I'm thinking, I'm going to die. Not a good mindset going into peds hem/onc rounds.

He then texts me again saying his phone autocorrected Epstein Barr to Ebola.

I had mono.

Reactions: 17 users