Incoming M1 c/o 2020 Back to school thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All I can say after I glanced at the PowerPoint for just half a day's lecture:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(instant regret, y0)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
S'all good, we all know each other well enough to give benefit of the doubt on both ends now and then! So how are you liking school?

I love it more than I expected! I was honestly dreading orientation because my experience with orientation my freshman year of college was extremely negative. But I feel so at home here. Everyone is so nice and the city is amazing and I love my apartment. I'm glad to be here!

Reactions: 1 user
All I can say after I glanced at the PowerPoint for just half a day's lecture:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(instant regret, y0)
For real. My school has a detailed outline and a PowerPoint for each lecture. These outlines are like 8 pages. We have 4ish lectures per day. How does all this go in my head?

Members don't see this ad :)
For real. My school has a detailed outline and a PowerPoint for each lecture. These outlines are like 8 pages. We have 4ish lectures per day. How does all this go in my head?
Looking at the volume of material they've given us, I realized that I have NO IDEA how to study. How does one put that much info into one's brain? Our first exam is in ten days and I have like no idea what to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Eat your pancakes, guys.

Also, fk Chicago tolls. It like branched off into two different toll areas and I had to drive like a complete ahole to get to where I needed to be.

A little over 600mi to go.

Just moved into my apartment. It's awesome, but pricey. Might as well spend a little more to be comfortable for those long study days/nights. Too tired to get groceries today, so looks like I'll be eating out tonight. Orientation T-9 days...:boom:

Looking at the volume of material they've given us, I realized that I have NO IDEA how to study. How does one put that much info into one's brain? Our first exam is in ten days and I have like no idea what to do.
Ha, glad I'm not the only one who's feeling this way

Eat your pancakes, guys.

Also, fk Chicago tolls. It like branched off into two different toll areas and I had to drive like a complete ahole to get to where I needed to be.

A little over 600mi to go.

Hahah I'm from Chicago and I'm still terrified to drive on the highway there. I tried to do it last weekend and had a panic attack and made my mom drive the rest of the way.
But I successfully drove on the highway (well, somewhat successfully, I got majorly lost for like 15 minutes when I missed my exit) alone for the first time today. So there's that.

LOL I just logged onto our calendar system to check the dress code for the first day of classes on Monday, and saw this: "PRE-CLASS READINGS: CHAPTERS - 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12". Like, what. We haven't even been told that there's a textbook.

Reactions: 2 users
Hahah I'm from Chicago and I'm still terrified to drive on the highway there. I tried to do it last weekend and had a panic attack and made my mom drive the rest of the way.
But I successfully drove on the highway (well, somewhat successfully, I got majorly lost for like 15 minutes when I missed my exit) alone for the first time today. So there's that.
I can't believe the speeding. Like 85 in 55 with cutting in and out of four (five?) Lanes consistently. I was so nervous about getting a ticket and tried staying at 65 but too many people were cutting me off and getting angry so I said Fk it and went with traffic.
I basically veered into the median which wasn't really drivable... but still had pavement to get to the proper toll bridge. I felt really embarrassed and my spouse was all yelly but I'm like.. do you wanna pay for a billion tolls? We made it. Haha

What did you guys wear for orientation? Mine starts tomorrow and our school hasn't informed us of a particular dress code. (I'm a guy btw)

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you guys wear for orientation? Mine starts tomorrow and our school hasn't informed us of a particular dress code. (I'm a guy btw)
Mine was 100% whatever you want for everything except white coat. My school did not tell us a dress code and very few people wore anything fancy.

Wear khakis and a polo or jeans with a button-down if you want to be safe

(I think if they wanted you dressed up, they would have told you)

I'm almost a doctor, not almost a grammar professional.

I think you misinterpreted my (attempted) comedy and honest question. "Gotta" left some ambiguity..I gotta go the bathroom..I gotta go to the amusement park! Wasn't sure if you were excited to eat 30 pancakes yesterday, or if you felt you had to. Nonetheless, that joke failed.

I think you misinterpreted my (attempted) comedy and honest question. "Gotta" left some ambiguity..I gotta go the bathroom..I gotta go to the amusement park! Wasn't sure if you were excited to eat 30 pancakes yesterday, or if you felt you had to. Nonetheless, that joke failed.
Gotta always means have to/need to. Gotta= I have got to

You would say, "I got to go to the amusement park!" if you were excited about it. (It implies that you were fortunate to have the opportunity to go)

I gotta go to the park would be the response to "Do you wanna hangout?" "What are ya doing today?" Etc.

(That's why it sounded like you were just trying to correct him)

Last edited:
Gotta always means have to/need to. Gotta= I have got to

You would say, "I got to go to the amusement park!" if you were excited about it.

I gotta go to the park would be the response to "Do you wanna hangout?" "What are ya doing today?" Etc.

As an ESL, I guess you learn something everyday! haha. I'm nowhere near a grammar professional, as evidenced by my recent errors. But I do wreck at beer pong and corn hole.

I'm starting to think that every regular test in med school is like studying for a cumulative final in a hard science college class.

Which are then cumulative for the next test.

Forever.

Reactions: 6 users
Do most schools do the "test every week" thing during the first two years? Or is that just mine?

Do most schools do the "test every week" thing during the first two years? Or is that just mine?
In my school the first 12 weeks of first year there's an anatomy/histo/embryo block and there's usually 3, sometimes 4 quizzes/exams per week. (mostly quizzes, but usually at least 1 exam). There's also a few quizzes/exams for other courses running concurrently but they occur more sporadically.

I just looked, and we average about 2 a month until march and april, and we have 4 a month.

Nope. We have a weekly quiz that doesn't count towards our grade and is only to gauge what we still need to learn. We only have a week of tests every 2 or 3 months (6 test weeks total in the 1.5 yr pre-clinical period).

So for example, the test week at the end of this unit:
Mon: Clinical Skills OSCE
Tues: Gross Anatomy
Weds: Medical Knowledge Essay Exam + Clinical Skills Essay Exam
Thurs: NBME Exam + Unit Multiple Choice Exam + Clinical Skills Multiple Choice Exam

We'll see if this schedule is good

We have a test once per week. Sometimes two in a week. The upside is that each test matters a little less for the grade and covers less. It's gonna suck either way so whatever

You'll find a way. It's ridiculously hard at first to figure out how to manage things, but you'll get the hang of it. In about a year and a half you'll be able to adequately review about 1 month's worth of most non-anatomy MS1 material in like 4 days.

Good luck everybody! It's probably going to seem very overwhelming the next couple months but you can do it.

Lol what the heck. Someone just messaged my entire class in our group chat asking who Lannister was. Kind of unnecessary, dude. I hope people don't figure out who I am, even made my profile private (I think, someone confirm for me that it worked lol).

Reactions: 5 users
Lol. What a weirdo. But yes, your profile is limited.

Haha it's literally Day 1 of med school and I've already totally changed my mind about specialties. Screw ENT, I am not mean for surgery. Actually I just learned that not all pathologists work with dead people, so I wanna explore that. According to the careers in medicine thing I should go into a specialty where you like do a lot of tests and treat based off of those tests. So basically path and derm. And that does actually sound good to me.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
@Lannister My results basically confirmed what I wanted to do pre-starting-school, but at this point everything sounds interesting, and have no idea if my ideas will hold.

For all those with exams, best of luck! Go, fight, win!

Just checking back in to say...WTF. Okay, back to the books.

Just found out that I have a practical and written exam on the same day. Yay...

Helpful words from an MS2 today that I wanted to share: If you don't feel like you want to quit yet, you're doing fine. I had expressed that I had a bit of a yikes moment because of the volume of new derm stuff compounded with general feelings of mild inadequacy because I'm not used to having to study so much in order to understand material and that was her response. Figured I would share it. :)

Reactions: 2 users