Incoming med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

select22

Reaction score
Hi! I know this is pretty early to think about but I’m thinking about asking for an iPad for Christmas to use in medical school starting in fall of 2023. Does anyone have recommendations for what type of iPad or if I should not get one at all?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on your own preference. Its not one size fits all. I never used an ipad for medical school, just my laptop. Just don't have the impression that you must have an ipad to succeed and do well. It doesn't work that way. Just think about how you approached studying in undergrad and there's a good chance your studying habits will be relatively the same +/- anki and other outside third party resources.

Reactions: 1 user
ipad might be good if you enjoy taking notes, personally found it useful for anatomy and then proceeded to never touch it again through the rest of preclinical as i realized "aint nobody got time for that" in relation to note taking

Members don't see this ad :)
good for watching lectures while excercisig. That’s about it from my experience

I used the base iPad + Apple Pencil throughout preclinical. I used it for notes and an anatomy app for learning anatomy. I’m not sure if it’s necessary for notes but I personally found the 3d anatomy app pretty helpful, although it’s available for computers and phones too. Definitely using it a lot less during clinicals. In summary I guess I’d say it’s nice but not necessary so I wouldnt splurge for the crazy expensive ones. As a side bonus it’s a decent e reader if you’re into that, albeit expensive and not great in direct sunlight.

I used the base iPad + Apple Pencil throughout preclinical. I used it for notes and an anatomy app for learning anatomy. I’m not sure if it’s necessary for notes but I personally found the 3d anatomy app pretty helpful, although it’s available for computers and phones too. Definitely using it a lot less during clinicals. In summary I guess I’d say it’s nice but not necessary so I wouldnt splurge for the crazy expensive ones. As a side bonus it’s a decent e reader if you’re into that, albeit expensive and not great in direct sunlight.
Thank you! I have always learned material way better when I am writing it compared to typing on a computer, and I know that iPads have apps where people write their notes with an apple pencil, so I figured that would be beneficial to me. Im fine with the basics, I just realized there are so many different kinds of ipads out there now, I wasnt sure which is best for this kind of use.

I love my iPad Pro! It's the smaller one, so it's almost the size of 8 by 11 copt paper. I absolutely love the Notability app! All my notes and pdf textbooks are on there and you can edit your notes however you like. Great investment in my opinion. Used it in my Master's and my first semester in med school so far for biochem and anatomy. Many of my classmates have the iPad Air or Pro ps