incoming OOS Dental student question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmddeuxb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I'm about to start Dental school at an out of state (OOS) public university and plan on getting resident tuition during D2, but I had a few questions if any of you may know the answer to:
(1) Did any of you stay under your parents car insurance? I'm under 25 y/o so getting my own auto insurance policy is going to be more than double the price. "My" cars title and registration are under my dads name as technically it's his car, but I will be taking it to dental school. This whole car situation is so complicated!
(2) Did you stay registered to vote at your home state or did you register at your new state?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! So I'm about to start Dental school at an out of state (OOS) public university and plan on getting resident tuition during D2, but I had a few questions if any of you may know the answer to:
(1) Did any of you stay under your parents car insurance? I'm under 25 y/o so getting my own auto insurance policy is going to be more than double the price. "My" cars title and registration are under my dads name as technically it's his car, but I will be taking it to dental school. This whole car situation is so complicated!
(2) Did you stay registered to vote at your home state or did you register at your new state?

You should check to see what the rules are for establishing residency! It is likely that you will be required to register to vote in your new state. Why not just do it so you can vote locally? It’s not tough.

With regards to the title and the insurance, if your dad is paying for the insurance I would ride that gravy train all the way to the station baby. The thing that you will need to check on if you want to keep the car titled in your dad’s name is what kind of registration renewal requirements your home state has. Some places you can renew your registration through the mail and get sent a sticker, some states require an emissions test, some states require you to renew in person, and some states require some kind of mechanic inspection. It isn’t an everyday concern, but it’s something you’ll have to get done every year if you want to stay legal.