Incomplete MS, red flag for PDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdc142

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am asking this question for a good friend of mine who is an M2.

He's a nontrad who did an MS (had research + class component) between college and med school. He did well in the classes but was not able to complete the research as his research project was too hard/too much time (was basically a PHD type project) for a 2 year program. Technically he does not have the MS degree -- would this be a red flag when he applies for the Match in two years? He is trying to decide whether it is essential to take a year off to finish the MS research component

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not really.

Sounds like you(r) "friend" did the MS in order to improve his/her chances of getting into med school, and once s/he/you did, bailed on the MS. Like basically every person on the planet would do.

No harm, no foul.

If you s/he gets asked about it, stick with the "research was to intense to finish in 2 years" story as it sounds much better than "I only did the MS in order to buff my MD school app and once I got in I peaced the f*** out" (which is the actual reason).

Reactions: 5 users
Hi all,
I am asking this question for a good friend of mine who is an M2.

He's a nontrad who did an MS (had research + class component) between college and med school. He did well in the classes but was not able to complete the research as his research project was too hard/too much time (was basically a PHD type project) for a 2 year program. Technically he does not have the MS degree -- would this be a red flag when he applies for the Match in two years? He is trying to decide whether it is essential to take a year off to finish the MS research component

Thanks!
why didn't you just ask for it to be converted to a non thesis MS?