Incomplete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docolive

DOColive
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the mcat this april, and amidst the rigor of day-to-day coursework and projects, I am feeling worried about a challenging phil. course. We have a 15pg term paper due on April 27th and are possibly allowed to take an I (incomplete) if we turn it in a little later. Does anyone know how medical schools look at this??? I read in the course catalog that the "I" is on your record, and a grade is placed next to it once the work is finished. I would appreciate your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

docolive said:
I am taking the mcat this april, and amidst the rigor of day-to-day coursework and projects, I am feeling worried about a challenging phil. course. We have a 15pg term paper due on April 27th and are possibly allowed to take an I (incomplete) if we turn it in a little later. Does anyone know how medical schools look at this??? I read in the course catalog that the "I" is on your record, and a grade is placed next to it once the work is finished. I would appreciate your advice.

1 or 2 is ok...but if you have too many theyll start to wonder...

DrHuang said:
1 or 2 is ok...but if you have too many theyll start to wonder...
thanks for your reply. i actually have 1 W from freshman year at a super competitive pre-med infested university...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if the way incompletes are handled at your school is the same or not, but I had to take a few incompletes last semester and as soon as I finished the coursework they were replaced on my transcript with grades, so the I's don't even show up anywhere on my transcript. I would say that as long as you get the grade in before you have to submit transcripts for AMCAS, then schools wouldn't know about it anyway.

docolive said:

I took an I for a class last semester and just recently got it replaced with a grade... since it was in the middle of the app process no med schools saw it, but if they had I can't imagine it would have been a big deal. One or two Is or Ws shouldn't matter... it's trends where it could be a problem.

I say, write the paper when you can relax and actually get something out of it. G'luck with the MCAT!

Goodergirl said:
I don't know if the way incompletes are handled at your school is the same or not, but I had to take a few incompletes last semester and as soon as I finished the coursework they were replaced on my transcript with grades, so the I's don't even show up anywhere on my transcript. I would say that as long as you get the grade in before you have to submit transcripts for AMCAS, then schools wouldn't know about it anyway.
thanks. that's nice of your univ.
my school leaves the I and places the grade next to it....booo hooo. :(

docolive said:
thanks. that's nice of your univ.
my school leaves the I and places the grade next to it....booo hooo. :(

sounds like an opportunity for a wonderful interview soundbyte to me.

if asked:

"i decided to take the incomplete and spend more time working on the project because i really wanted to turn in an outstanding finished product for this particular class."

or

"i really got into the project and decided to take more time to finish it. i ended up putting a lot into it and was very happy with the result" (assuming you get a decent grade in the class)

just some thoughts. i wasn't even asked about my incomplete during any of my interviews.

Vista04 said:
sounds like an opportunity for a wonderful interview soundbyte to me.

if asked:

"i decided to take the incomplete and spend more time working on the project because i really wanted to turn in an outstanding finished product for this particular class."

or

"i really got into the project and decided to take more time to finish it. i ended up putting a lot into it and was very happy with the result" (assuming you get a decent grade in the class)

just some thoughts. i wasn't even asked about my incomplete during any of my interviews.

Agree. Also, I wasn't even asked about the several W's and I's that I had. Besides, you can get the grade replaced before sending your application in (I think the earliest possible date to submit your application is in June)