Inconsistent verbal score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqua11230

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone
I don’t know what’s wrong with verbal but all of a sudden I’m staring to do horrible in this section. I was consistently getting 8/9’s on the EK verbal 101/ Kaplan exams and on AAMC 3 I got a 9 in verbal. I thought I was on a roll and then I took an AAMC exam and got a 5. Then I did an EK 101 verbal exam and got an 8 on that. Today I took another AAMC exam and got a 4. I’m so confused and scared. I read a lot for my major so I never felt that verbal would be my weak point since I’ve been doing good on my practice exams up till now… Has this happened to anyone else??! I usually finish on time so I know that’s not the problem…

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

what I would do is look at the question types of the problems that you are missing. Are you falling for attractors? I think thats a biggy for me is to watch out for stuff like that.. Also on easy reading passages make sure you work on them as hard as you would on a difficult to read passage. I've found that when I underestimate a passage just because it is an easy read, I miss the most on those.

Hope this helped.

Hey everyone
I don’t know what’s wrong with verbal but all of a sudden I’m staring to do horrible in this section. I was consistently getting 8/9’s on the EK verbal 101/ Kaplan exams and on AAMC 3 I got a 9 in verbal. I thought I was on a roll and then I took an AAMC exam and got a 5. Then I did an EK 101 verbal exam and got an 8 on that. Today I took another AAMC exam and got a 4. I’m so confused and scared. I read a lot for my major so I never felt that verbal would be my weak point since I’ve been doing good on my practice exams up till now… Has this happened to anyone else??! I usually finish on time so I know that’s not the problem…

Thanks in advance

Very strange indeed. The VR sections of each AAMC exam are not significantly different from each other, so it is hard to understand how you would go from a 9 to a 4 so quickly. Review the explanations, and re-take the exam again and again and again until you can reach the point where you could turn to your friend and explain the correct answer to each question to your friend w/o access to the printed explanations. That process may help unwind the poor thinking habits you somehow developed.
I hope this helps -- let us know how it works out!