Increase chances by showing interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melomare17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people actually show interest in schools before applying, and does that lead to getting interviews and eventually getting in?

If so, do they mark you down somewhere saying you called to find out something/wanted to talk to someone about application process or w/e or want to get a tour? Do they have representatives in different parts of the country where you could actually go talk in person???

Members don't see this ad.

Um, I find that very hard to believe that they could trace you down to a very phone call.

I'm sure some schools are glad to give you random info about their med programs, but it's highly, highly, highly very unlikely (which is pretty much a no) that it gives you any advantage in the application process.

I sent several letters of update and one "in the area" e-mail to the MD schools I was still waiting to hear from. Some schools granted me an interview a couple of days after I sent an ITA e-mail. 5 out of the 7 of the schools I interviewed at were ones that I kept sending updates to.

Calling, visiting reps? I would think it matters less. With letters, you can include why you like the school and explain why you think it would be a great fit for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent several letters of update and one "in the area" e-mail to the MD schools I was still waiting to hear from. Some schools granted me an interview a couple of days after I sent an ITA e-mail. 5 out of the 7 of the schools I interviewed at were ones that I kept sending updates to.

Calling, visiting reps? I would think it matters less. With letters, you can include why you like the school and explain why you think it would be a great fit for you.

I don't think this quite answers the OP's question. The OP is asking about the future application season, to which I think it matters a lot less whether you contact them or not beforehand.

During the application process, I would agree with you on updating. But before applying, I certainly wouldn't take the effort to try to connect with these schools thinking it would grant you an interview after asking for something like a tour.

Ya listen to pikachu, unless somehow you have worked at the school like as an internship or research no they don't care.

are you saying you applied, sent letters of interest and in the area emails to schools, and THEN got called for interviews?

pikapika-what about if you apply and show interest while waiting? (not sure if that's what you meant to say or not with the pre-applicaations), but i'm applying this summer and was just wondering.

thanks so far!

I don't think this quite answers the OP's question. The OP is asking about the future application season, to which I think it matters a lot less whether you contact them or not beforehand.

During the application process, I would agree with you on updating. But before applying, I certainly wouldn't take the effort to try to connect with these schools thinking it would grant you an interview after asking for something like a tour.

Oh, gotcha. I just caught the OP's part on "before applying."

On that I agree. Submit your primaries and secondaries first, then wait a bit and see if anything comes in. If it's been a few months and interview season is well under way already, then go ahead and send them a meaningful update on what you've been doing.

Melomare: yes. I applied, waited a few months, sent letters of interest and in the area emails to schools, and THEN got called for interviews.

Alright shall do. Oh that's awesome, thanks for the advice!!

Of course you can show interest while waiting, but the only official way I can think of showing interest would be to send update letters. Things you suggested (phone logs, school reps, etc) definitely would not count.

Don't send update letters just to say "I want to go to your school and I'm really interested" cuz obviously everyone does -- that's why they applied. Send it when you actually have something new to report and then lace it with all the enthusiasm you want when you do.

I actually went and set up a meeting with one of the Adcoms ~7-8 months or so before apps were due. I met with her and discussed my progress (I am post-bacc student) and she told me I was on the right track and what I needed to do to better my chances at that school. Fastforward a year later and turns out the same person did my interview :). And I got in...with pretty sub-par stats.

It definitely helps.

wow I love that story because it is really inspiring and hopeful for people like me that are becoming disheartened by the process and it just started June 1st but I've worked like the last 10 years for something and now it's like what happens if I get no interviews?