Independent - OMIT parents salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillpremed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi im an independent ... and am making 22K a year.
i have yet to turn my financial aid forms in, but would it be beneficial to omit my parents salary? of should i just put them on the sheet? my goal is to get good loans/ grants/scholarships.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're pretty much in a catch 22 (I was in the same position earlier). If you omit your parents info you will not be eligible for institutional grants and scholarship, if they are based on need. If you include your parents, you may receive aid depending on their income or you could get screwed... no aid and higher expected contribution. So, I guess this all depends on your parents income. You should probably do a search here to see what the EFC for other people were, since some people have posted their parents' income and the amount of financial aid they received.

I'm not sure you have much of a choice if you are under 30 y/o. I am 27 and have been living on my own, in a different state, with absolute no support from my parents since I finished college at 22. I read somewhere that some schools will still require me to submit my parents income if I want to be considered for financial aid because I am under 30. I don't know if this depends on the school or not.

In medical school, you may be required to submit parental information for institutional aid only. For federal aid, you do not need to submit parental information, regardless of your age, dependent status, etc.