independent or online courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joeb712

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey-

So I need to take an upper level Science course to complete my requirements for Western Uni. I have taken the regulars at my current university, but I need another course to take over the summer, and I can only do an online session. Any ideas of online courses, or does anyone have the websites where I can research them.

I cannot take these, because I took them already: Biochemistry I and II, Genetics, Micro, and of course the reg Gen Chem, Orgo, Bios, etc..

Any ideas? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

joeb712 said:
Hey-

So I need to take an upper level Science course to complete my requirements for Western Uni. I have taken the regulars at my current university, but I need another course to take over the summer, and I can only do an online session. Any ideas of online courses, or does anyone have the websites where I can research them.

I cannot take these, because I took them already: Biochemistry I and II, Genetics, Micro, and of course the reg Gen Chem, Orgo, Bios, etc..

Any ideas? Thanks!

Did you do immunology? UPenn does immunobiology online in the summer. I haven't taken it, but it's supposed to be a good class. The description is here: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/CGS/pennadvance/courses/ and it's the last class listed. It may be expensive, though. Hopefully with this forum other people will have experienced online classes and be able to reccomend another.

Oklahoma State Univ. offers an online Animal Nutrition course, which is required of their applicants. I havent heard much about it, but I think some other schools require animal nutrition too, so it might come in handy. (It seems like few people are interested in OSU, but I grew up there and Oklahoma is not as bad as it sounds!)

Members don't see this ad :)
hrmm anyone know any colleges offering microbiology online? If thats even possible? Thats the one class keeping me from applying to like 10-12 schools, which sucks.

Check your local community college. I took it through a local college and the lecture portion was all online, but you also had to be enrolled in a lab that was held 4 Saturdays throughout the semester. For me, at least, it wasn't listed under BIO but another heading that included a bunch of pre-reqs for nursing students.

I've had the prof who teaches the immunology course before and he ROCKS! It is the best course offered in Penn's Post-bacc.

LynnKat said:
Did you do immunology? UPenn does immunobiology online in the summer. I haven't taken it, but it's supposed to be a good class. The description is here: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/CGS/pennadvance/courses/ and it's the last class listed. It may be expensive, though. Hopefully with this forum other people will have experienced online classes and be able to reccomend another.

Hi there. I just wanted to caution you to check with the colleges you plan to apply to before you take a course online because some veterinary programs do not honor online course work or have certain restrictions on it.
Unfortunately with many science courses and definitely with microbiology there is a laboratory component which of course you cannot take online.
I graduated in May, but I was a chemistry major and I had never taken microbiology. You are right about out it being a prerequisite for many veterinary schools and I ended up taking it at a community college. I don't know what your situation is, but I would definitely try to take it at a community college if you can. It should be relatively inexpensive and many colleges offer it as a night course. My class met Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30 pm-9:50 pm and had lecture and lab back to back each day. It worked out really well for me with my work schedule so it could work out for you too.

I obtained a list of recommended online courses from one of the schools that I was applying for. Decided to post it here... However, please do check with the schools if they really accept the courses before you take them. I know some schools who really discourage online courses and some schools which are fine with them (usually those who have them as well.. ;) .

Biochemistry (Prerequisite)
X105 Introductory Biochemistry
University of California, Berkeley

Description

An introduction to the basic chemistry and overall structure of the most important biological macromolecules, the course studies enzyme catalysis, cellular architecture, and intermediary metabolism (carbohydrates, amino acids, lipids, and nucleotides), including special processes such as photosynthesis, biological oxidation, and energy production. It also considers biochemical genetics, the mechanism of protein synthesis, and ways in which biological systems react to their environment and regulate their own internal activities.
Students and professionals in allied medical fields, biotechnology, dietetics, enology, forensic science, industrial/pharmeceutical purification, and others desiring a broad basic understanding of the fundamentals of this science will benefit from the course. Proctored final examination.

Course Outline

Tuition: $705
Credits: 3
Instructor:
John M. Forger III
Ph.D., Biology, Harvard University
Instructor Biography
Potential students with questions regarding academic content may contact the instructor at [email protected]

More info about course : http://explore.berkeley.edu/UCExt/default.asp

Animal Genetics ( Prerequisite)
ANSI 3423 Animal Genetics
Oklahoma State University
Description
The basic principles of heredity: kinds of gene action, random segregation, independent assortment, physical and chemical basis of heredity, mutations, sex-linkage, chromosome mapping, multiple alleles and chromosomal abnormalities
Tuition: Undergraduate: $482.86
More info about course : http://ueied.ue.okstate.edu/ics/cinfo.asp?area=ANSI&number=3423

Genetics (Prerequisite)
ASI 500 Genetics
Kansas State University
Open to Undergraduate and Graduate Students

Description
An introduction to Mendelian, molecular, quantitative and population genetics.

Tuition: Undergraduate: $882/Graduate $1113
Instructor: Jennifer Bormann

More info about course : https://apps.dce.ksu.edu/CreditReg/CourseSearch/OpenSection.exec?EXEC_CLASS=credit.commands.CourseSearchCommands&EXEC_COMMAND=OpenSection&EXEC_ARGS=12125&SearchState={evening=false,%20vetMed=false,%20courseNumber=,%20august=false,%20video=false,%20en=false,%20results=50,%20internet=false,%20telenet=false,%20fall=false,%20keyword=,%20as=false,%20multimedia=false,%20undergraduate=true,%20salina=false,%20january=false,%20graduate=true,%20location=,%20ar=false,%20referenceNumber=null,%20distance=false,%20may=false,%20year0=false,%20class=class%20credit.data.CourseSearchBean,%20ag=false,%20he=false,%20year1=false,%20year2=false,%20spring=false,%20audioTape=false,%20summer=false,%20guidedStudy=false,%20nonCredit=false,%20email=false,%20ed=false,%20ta=false,%20ba=false}{page=1}&EXEC_NEXT_PAGE=/CourseSearch/SearchResults.jsp

Genetics (Prerequisite)
X143 Genetics (Prerequisite)

Description

This course integrates the most important concepts in classical and molecular genetics into an overall picture of what a gene is, how it functions, how it may be altered, and how it is inherited. You learn about the molecular basis of gene function and mutation, Mendelian genetics, transmission systems, regulation of cellular processes, developmental genetics, cytoplasmic inheritance, population genetics, and multifactoral inheritance. Also covered are recent advances in biotechnology that have genetic implications, including the Human Genome Project, and advances in genetic engineering technology. Proctored final examination.

Course Outline

Instructor:
Emily Jane Willingham
Ph.D., Adjunct Assistant Professor, Texas State University; Postdoctoral Researcher, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco

Neurobiology (Recommended)
BIOL E-106 Neurobiology
Harvard University

Distance Education website.
Description
An introduction to the organization and function of the nervous system. Topics covered include cell biology of neurons, physiology of excitable membranes and electrical signaling, neurotransmitters and neuropeptides, sensory systems, motor systems, developmental neurobiology, simple circuits, and behavior. Discussion of the molecular basis of neurodegenerative and neuropsychological disease

Tuition: Undergraduate $625/Graduate $1525
Credits: 4
Instructor: Shawn Murphy, PhD, MD, Assistant Professor of Neurology, Harvard Medical School.

More info about course : http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2005-06/courses/biol.jsp#e-106

list cont'd

Animal Anatomy (Recommended)
VS 333 Domestic Animal Anatomy
Colorado State University
Description
Comparative functional anatomy of the dog, horse, and cow. A visually stimulating and interactive online course where students learn how the gross anatomy of domestic animals dictates the biomechanical functions of the major body systems and how anatomical parts that are similar among these three species perform similar functions. Differences among species are also highlighted. Objectives focus on the application of form and function.

Tuition: $796
Instructor: Dr. Sherry Stewart

More info about course : http://www.learn.colostate.edu/courses/course.asp?course=VS+333

Histology (Recommended)
VS 331 Histology
Colorado State University

Description
This course is a study of the structure and function of cells, tissues, and organs. Particular emphasis is placed on observations at light microscopic level. The course uses hundreds of high-resolution photographics and images of human and domestic animal tissues. Laboratories involve finding and identifying histological structures at low, medium, high, and oil immersion views.

Tuition: $796
Instructor: Dr. Sherry Stewart

More info about course : http://www.learn.colostate.edu/courses/course.asp?course=VS+331

Immunology (Recommended)
X110 Immunology
Delivery Format: Online Independent Learning
Course Duration: Up to 6 months from date of enrollment
Course Fee: $705.00

Description

This course presents an overview of the development, organization, components, and function of the human immune system. You explore the nature of infections and cancer and examine what happens when the system breaks down and becomes the cause of disease. You then investigate what is being done to improve on or take advantage of nature as a means of providing new therapies that either utilize or circumvent the human immune system. Proctored final examination.

Course Outline

Instructor:
Amy Morgan
Ph.D., Scientist-Cell Biology and Immunology, Marin Biologic
Instructor Biography

Microbiology (Recommended)
MMBIO 221 — General Microbiology
Brigham Young University

Description

Microbial world, emphasizing communicable diseases, their causes, and control. Recommended for students seeking a liberal education in microbiology who do not have the prerequisites to take the more advanced courses. 24 lessons, 6 submitted, all Speedback; 2 proctored Speedback midcourse; proctored Speedback final. Course Content
The Microbial World and You
Observing Microorganisms through a Microscope
Functional Anatomy of Procaryotic and Eucaryotic Cells
Microbial Metabolism
Microbial Growth
Control of Microbial Growth
Microbial Genetics
Classification of Microorganisms
Fungi, Protozoans, and Multicellular Parasites
Viruses
Principles of Disease and Epidemiology
Mechanisms of Pathogenicity
Nonspecific Defenses of the Host
Specific Diseases of the Host: The Immune Response
Practical Applications of Immunology
Disorders Associated with the Immune System
Antimicrobial Drugs
Microbial Diseases of the Skin and Eyes
Microbial Diseases of the Nervous System
Microbial Diseases of the Cardiovascular System
Microbial Diseases of the Respiratory System
Microbial Diseases of the Digestive System
Microbial Diseases of the Urinary and Reproductive Systems
Applied and Industrial Microbiology

Tuition: $357
Instructor: Richard Robison, PhD

More info about course : http://www.ce.byu.edu/is/site/catal...ect=77&course=MMBIO221General%20Microbiology#

Neurobiology (Recommended)
BIOL E-106 Neurobiology
Harvard University

Distance Education website.
Description
An introduction to the organization and function of the nervous system. Topics covered include cell biology of neurons, physiology of excitable membranes and electrical signaling, neurotransmitters and neuropeptides, sensory systems, motor systems, developmental neurobiology, simple circuits, and behavior. Discussion of the molecular basis of neurodegenerative and neuropsychological disease

Tuition: Undergraduate $625/Graduate $1525
Instructor: Shawn Murphy, PhD, MD, Assistant Professor of Neurology, Harvard Medical School.

More info about course : http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2005-06/courses/biol.jsp#e-106

Animal Nutrition (Recommended)
ASI 318 Fundamentals of Nutrition
Kansas State University
Description
Elementary principles of comparative nutrition of farm animals. Discussion and description of carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, vitamins, and minerals, including their digestion, absorption, and metabolism by various livestock.

Tuition: Undergraduate: $882
Instructor: Robert Goodband

More info about course : https://apps.dce.ksu.edu/CreditReg/CourseSearch/OpenSection.exec?EXEC_CLASS=credit.commands.CourseSearchCommands&EXEC_COMMAND=OpenSection&EXEC_ARGS=9291&SearchState={evening=false,%20vetMed=false,%20courseNumber=,%20august=false,%20video=false,%20en=false,%20results=50,%20internet=false,%20telenet=false,%20fall=false,%20keyword=,%20as=false,%20multimedia=false,%20undergraduate=true,%20salina=false,%20january=false,%20graduate=true,%20location=,%20ar=false,%20referenceNumber=null,%20distance=false,%20may=false,%20year0=false,%20class=class%20credit.data.CourseSearchBean,%20ag=false,%20he=false,%20year1=false,%20year2=false,%20spring=false,%20audioTape=false,%20summer=false,%20guidedStudy=false,%20nonCredit=false,%20email=false,%20ed=false,%20ta=false,%20ba=false}{page=1}&EXEC_NEXT_PAGE=/CourseSearch/SearchResults.jsp

Pharmacology (Recommended)
PPT 315 Introduction to Pharmacology (Online)
University of North Dakota

Description
A survey of the more important drugs used in medicine, including basic principles, clinical uses and possible adverse effects. 29 lessons/5 exams

Tuition: $315
Instructor: James Haselton

More info about course : http://www.conted.und.edu/correspondence/intros/ppt315.html

Human Physiology (Recommended)
XB32 Introduction to Human Physiology

Description
This comprehensive physiology course focuses on basic internal and external environments underlying human life processes, including cells and membranes; nervous and muscle function; cardiovascular, respiratory, renal, and gastrointestinal physiology; metabolism; endocrinology; and reproduction. Prerequisite: One year of high school- or college-level chemistry. Proctored final examination.
Course Outline
Instructor:
Keith Earnshaw
PhD, President, Earnshaw Environmental, Inc., Raleigh, North Carolina
Instructor Biography