Independent Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

octopus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how does one go about getting a real job at an independent besides word of mouth? i'm moving to a new state so i was wondering if there's like some board/site out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Well....first thing I'd think would be to check out the phone book listing of the community you're moving to.

Then....I'd show up at that pharmacy & ask to speak to the owner (not on a Monday though).

Are you a pharmacist or a tech, student or just interested in the profession?

Those answers would change how I'd approach the owner.....

i'm graduating this year...maybe i'll just work at a chain (ugh) for a year and network my way into an independent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you licensed in your new state?

Have you joined the local state organization? They ususally have a list of members & where they work.....

is it typically difficult to get a job at an independent? i'm only familiar with independents as that's the environment that i grew up in. (dad runs a few).

Hello I work as a technician in the Hospital Settings.
However, I am looking if there is need for technicians in the Independent Pharmacy business.
The geographical area is Western Mass, Northern Connecticut.

I am a hard/smart worker ;-)

how does one go about getting a real job at an independent besides word of mouth? i'm moving to a new state so i was wondering if there's like some board/site out there.

Most pharmacists don't leave jobs at independents unless the pay and benefits suck. Most Independents do fairly well with pay rates and the hours alone are enough of a benefit for someone to stay. You may have to kill someone and take their job :scared:

Go into an independent and ask to speak with the owner. Go in on a slow day and slow time, it will show the owner you understand a little about the business and respect the fact that they are working. Don't go asking for a job right away, introduce yourself as a shiney new pharmacist and let him/her know you are new to the area and you wanted to know a little more about independent pharmacy ownership. Most owners would love to sit with a new pharmacist and talk with them about what they know.

As someone said before, go to some local pharmacy association meetings and rub elbows with the old druggists and get your name out there.

You are right about one thing, the best way is word of mouth. I got my job because I knew someone who was able to get me a summer internship while I was in pharmacy school. Now I work for them as a pharmacist.

Just be real and don't be a tool. Remember the old owner network is a group of good ole boys and they all seem to know each other. Good luck.