India - Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dialogue

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,

Has anyone here attended or have any information on Manipal and Mangalore Medical Schools in Southern India?

Members don't see this ad.

Manipal is one of the top medical schools in all of India. The facilities are world-class, Indian style, which means top notch at a tight wire type low cost. However, if you are a non-India American, you may experience some discrimination. Also, clinical years may be less hands-on that you might think. They also have a program--a Twinning Programme--with the University of the West Indies in Trinidad, through which one may obtain unlimited U.K. registration status. Essentially you do basics at one location and clinicals in the other.

It is a lot of money, relatively speaking.

Sri-Ramacharandra will also accept a few non-Indian Non-residents :
http://www.hostindia.com/srmc/

[This message has been edited by Stephen Ewen (edited 06-09-2000).]

Are there any other medical schools in India that are accepting of American citizens? Do you know of any schools that have classes starting late fall/early winter?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
In my reseach there are others who have a "NRI Category"--Non-Resident Indian Category; so if you are genetically Indian but American, yes they are open to you. As far as other schools having a "Foreigner Category," I know of no others besides Manipal and Sri-R, and I have researched many. However, coming to a conclusive knowledge about this issue is difficult, and I have not pursued such personally. I suggest you contact the Indian medical Authority for a more conclusive answer. Alternately, you may contact the Sri-Lankan and Nepalese medical Authorities, since if the Indian school accepts NRI-Foreigners it will be partially from there that many of them will come, and they will know which schools from India they accept for licensure.

There is a four year old medical school and hospital in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, that was founded and is funded and primarily staffed by a certain Indian Foundation. The school has full recognition in India, Sri-Lanka, Tanzania and Kenya, and they are seeking Ugandan, U.K., and other recognitions. It is modeled after the U.K. system (awards the MB BS), Indian style. I am unsure whether they are ECFMG eligible, but a phone call is all it takes. Let me know if you want more info and I can point you to it.

Keep at it.

[This message has been edited by Stephen Ewen (edited 06-22-2000).]

Stephen,

IS the MBBS degree the equivalent to an MD in the United States? My doctor in Canada has an MBBS and has been practicing medicine for over 30 years. I also noticed for Indian Medical schools the MD is an additional 1-2 years on top of the MBBS. Why is this?

It is an edu structure thing. Those sytems that award the MB BS are those where one enters med school straight from H.S. Now there are some exceptions, where you must have a BA/BS, though. As is in the US you need some additional years after a bachelor degree to get a Doctorate. Hence, in these systems one get there MB BS--their bachelors degree--then their M.D.--their Doctorate degree--after some more years. Or a Masters degree, which is also PG training.

Upon transference to the U.S., in every state as far as I know, the MB BS may be written as an M.D. In other words, if you have an MB BS and then get licensed to practice in the US, you are permitted upon everything you write pertaining to patients to write M.D. This was passed to avoid confusion for patients, as well as the docs involved.

Received a week ago:

Dear Mr. Ewen,

I'm afraid that you've already guess the practical answer to your question. While some medical schools in India set aside seats for non residents, particularly American, (often to get US$), Vellore CMC does not.... Of the handful of "open competition" seats, the competition favors, in most cases, those students who come from the Indian educational system since some of the science courses in the Indian educational system at that level of education are not given in the USA. In addition, since the selection process can involve several visits to Vellore, applicants outside India have the added expense of either staying in India for several months or traveling back and forth. All told, while an American is not excluded from applying or denied the possibility of acceptance, the reality is that they rarely succeed in the selection process.

I have spoken to a professor at Manipal about attending Manipal for med. school. It costs quite a bit ($20,000 for the first year, and about $15,000 thereafter) to attend this school, as compared to other Indian medical schools. I was wondering if you anyone thinks it is possible to attend one year at Manipal and then transfer to another medical school in India. I was thinking of asking someone at the school, but I'm not sure how they would look upon this question. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks!

Originally posted by PB:
I was thinking of asking someone at the school, but I'm not sure how they would look upon this question.[/B]

Don't. Not at this stage, at least.

Originally posted by dialogue:
HI,

Has anyone here attended or have any information on Manipal and Mangalore Medical Schools in Southern India?
What type of info do you want> my friend studies there.
Khalid,
India

------------------
Md Khalid,
MBBS student,
JN Medical College, Aligarh

Does anyone have more information on the school in Tanzania, as listed in one of the above posts?
Please share whatever info. you may have.
Thank you.

International Medical and Technical University
<a href="http://www.imtu.edu" target="_blank">http://www.imtu.edu</a>

Also see:

Hubert Kairuki Memorial University Faculty of Medicine
<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/mb/hkmu/" target="_blank">http://www.angelfire.com/mb/hkmu/</a>

Christian Medical College (CMC)in Vellore,South India is another great med school in India.It is true that this medschool does not collect $$$ for admission.Most of the seats go through open competition amoung indian graduates and also few percentage of spots for the church sponsored candidates.

I think if you are involved with International church activities then you have a very good chance of getting into this medschool if your church sponsors.

It is worth spending your money for travel expenses and staying expenses if you have any chances of getting into this school.Anyway you are not going to spend $100,000 for your tuition fee there.I have heard there is lot of research activities and excellent training facilities at CMC.

If anyone is involved with Church activities and trying to get into medschool ...just try this CMC!