Indiana VS Michigan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileurdentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

first of all here are my stats:

Overall AADSAS GPA 3.25, Science 2.98
DAT: Academic Average 20, Total Science 20 and PAT 19

Lots of research in school, dental activities including dental research, dental course in a dental school with a certificate, lots of community services

I have applied to 7 schools and after I took my DAT I am thinking about adding more schools

I am in between University of Michigan (In-State) and Indiana (I have heard that my DAT is above their average to it is a strength point over my low GPA)

What do you guys think? should I apply for both? take one and leave the other since it is impossible to get in? any other suggestions? I need your opinions

Members don't see this ad.

Um, i am not sure if you will get in with your GPA.
Dont get me wrong.... You DAT scores are great but your sgpa is probabrly too low...
You should consider doing a master's or post- bac....

Your GPA is low.

However, being an undergrad at umich, I can tell you that Michigan is a big research school. If you can capitalize on your research experience, it will matter a lot here in comparison to other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, i am not sure if you will get in with your GPA.
Dont get me wrong.... You DAT scores are great but your sgpa is probabrly too low...
You should consider doing a master's or post- bac....

I know but I'm still having two semesters in my undergrad including 22 science credits and 12 non-science so I have a little chance to improve my science and overall gpa ...... I have no problem to do masters but I have special case I explained in my application and my low gpa in my first year only (my junior year is 3.55 overall and 3.7 science gpa) so you know it depends on each school and the way they will review and understand my case and its circumstances

my question is about these two schools if anyone has an idea about them

Your GPA is low.

However, being an undergrad at umich, I can tell you that Michigan is a big research school. If you can capitalize on your research experience, it will matter a lot here in comparison to other schools.

I am michigan resident but not in University of Michigan

I am an indiana resident and went to IU- bloomington, so i know quite a bit about the dental school. They really look at your gpa, along with your dat... But to tell you the truth, your dat scores will not cover up your low gpa....

Same goes to michigan... You need at least an average gpa....but i am sure there are exceptions...based on your experience in research and etc.

You can give it a try but personally i dont think you will get an interview from either of them.
But again, i am not the adcom....

GL!!!

I am michigan resident but not in University of Michigan

Michigan is a fairly 50/50 school in terms of in-state seats vs OOS seats.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with the others that your GPA might've just screwed you out of an interview. If you do apply and do get an interview at umich, make sure you express your interest in this school due to your interest in research.

Michigan is a fairly 50/50 school in terms of in-state seats vs OOS seats.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with the others that your GPA might've just screwed you out of an interview. If you do apply and do get an interview at umich, make sure you express your interest in this school due to your interest in research.

so you think it is a good idea to apply to michigan?

I am an indiana resident and went to IU- bloomington, so i know quite a bit about the dental school. They really look at your gpa, along with your dat... But to tell you the truth, your dat scores will not cover up your low gpa....

Same goes to michigan... You need at least an average gpa....but i am sure there are exceptions...based on your experience in research and etc.

You can give it a try but personally i dont think you will get an interview from either of them.
But again, i am not the adcom....

GL!!!

I got what you mean buddy and it is my only concern about my application

I'm saying you certainly have a better shot at umich than indiana, but with your overall stats, I wouldn't say it's a good idea to apply at all to either of the schools considering it's already very late in the cycle as well.

Sorry if that was harsh, just being honest.

I am only giving you an opinion, which is the reason why you created a thread??? To get opinions from others.... So dont get too upset about what i said..... Just think about the reality.... Honestly, ive been through the same situation as you are going through now....

I am only giving you an opinion, which is the reason why you created a thread??? To get opinions from others.... So dont get too upset about what i said..... Just think about the reality.... Honestly, ive been through the same situation as you are going through now....

no buddy im not upset and :) I know that you are right in what you say about my low chances but I was looking for schools consider DAT and EC more than GPA.. though I know I do not have a big chance in get into either one
I will apply to a masters program because I think masters + 20 in the DAT with considering the low GPA was in the freshman year + having all the credits from 4 years university + dental courses and tons of EC, volunteering, shadowing,..etc could be a good chance after getting in masters program.... I already applied to 7 schools but some people mentioned Indiana and Michigan for me so I wanted to ask and compare

I'm saying you certainly have a better shot at umich than indiana, but with your overall stats, I wouldn't say it's a good idea to apply at all to either of the schools considering it's already very late in the cycle as well.

Sorry if that was harsh, just being honest.

I know it's late now.. I already applied in June for 7 schools and today I added indiana because I saw my friends in school with way better stats than mine and they did not even got an interview from Michigan while some of them got interviews in Indiana with a DAT lower than mine and having 16s in two sections.... I hope my DAT could cover up my GPA with what I have explained for them in the application

don't worry I am seeking for honesty here... SDN was a big reason that I got 20 in the DAT and I hope it will help me to get in a good school

Hi,

I have read in this forum about someone who had similar stats ( with lil higher GPA)to yours and he got rejected from Indiana.
By Aznboi89x: " Indiana rejection...
I wonder if Iowa had anything to do with it...

Rejection list:
Buffalo (continuing Review), Roseman, Iowa, and Indiana

I wish you the best ths cycle.

yea I got rejected by Indiana without reason. I emailed their coordinator but still no reply. Maybe cuz of my RC score 16? Maybe cuz I'm asian? Maybe cuz I'm from Tx? or Maybe :confused:

Indiana gave my 1st official rejection.
Iowa interview deferred
Roseman (need to make >17 on each section)
Buffalo (continuing review status)

at the end of the day I added Nebraska, Upenn (dream big), and Kentucky. :D

yea I got rejected by Indiana without reason. I emailed their coordinator but still no reply. Maybe cuz of my RC score 16? Maybe cuz I'm asian? Maybe cuz I'm from Tx? or Maybe :confused:

Indiana gave my 1st official rejection.
Iowa interview deferred
Roseman (need to make >17 on each section)
Buffalo (continuing review status)

at the end of the day I added Nebraska, Upenn (dream big), and Kentucky. :D

I also got rejected from Indiana and continuing review from Buffalo. RC score is very similar to yours and I'm Asian as well lol. We're in the same boat. :laugh:

I also got rejected from Indiana and continuing review from Buffalo. RC score is very similar to yours and I'm Asian as well lol. We're in the same boat. :laugh:

you made me LOL ! :laugh:

I'm seeing a trend here... Rejected by Indiana and Iowa... and I'm asian... uh oh... lol!

I will apply to a masters program because I think masters + 20 in the DAT with considering the low GPA was in the freshman year + having all the credits from 4 years university + dental courses and tons of EC, volunteering, shadowing,..etc could be a good chance

Keep in mind that if you choose to do a Masters degree you will likely have to retake the DAT due to schools wanting scores no older than 2 years. I went the Masters route myself and it has helped me immensely. Just a thought, good luck on whatever you end up deciding!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile