Indianapolis Living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NVthis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

Just wondering if anyone is currently living in Indy and if they have any recommendations on where to live. I'm actually looking into buying a place and was wondering where the best/more popular areas were, either downtown or close to it.

Any input/recommendations would be great! PM me if you want as well...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are some condos to buy downtown, but for the most part people don't live in downtown Indy. Broadripple is an area inside 465 (kind of north central). Lots of nice older houses for sale in a cool area. About a 20 min. drive with traffic in the mornings. PM me if you want more info about indy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived in Indy for 15 years and have lived downtown and in the suburbs. There are some decent places downtown if you really want to be close to school. IU keeps you busy enough that you might want to be near school. Riley towers is nice enough but really quite expensive. Depending on how comfortable you are with living in an urban setting, you can find some decent deals on the near north side of the city. Closer than Broad Ripple - about 5 miles to school. Alot of students live in the Canal apartments which are right across the street from campus. They are a better deal than Riley Towers and within walking distance of school. Search for "Canal" on Forrent.com or some apartment search site because there are several different complexes along the canal each with a little different name. Southside of town is another relatively inexpensive area that is quick access to school. I've lived near Greenwood and could get to IUPUI in 15 minutes. Broad Ripple is cool, but not near an interstate so it takes longer to get through parts of town. Hope that helps...

I've got a house up for sale this summer :D . If you don't want to live down town I'd suggest the south-side of Indianapolis or Greenwood. Everything you could want is on the south-side (south of 465) and It only takes me 15-20 minutes to get downtown near IUPUI. I would not recommend the north, northeast or west outside of 465. Traffic can be very difficult. The traffic from the south side is not bad at all.

I've got a house up for sale this summer :D . If you don't want to live down town I'd suggest the south-side of Indianapolis or Greenwood. Everything you could want is on the south-side (south of 465) and It only takes me 15-20 minutes to get downtown near IUPUI. I would not recommend the north, northeast or west outside of 465. Traffic can be very difficult. The traffic from the south side is not bad at all.
:thumbup: everything. I live on the south side of town, and can vouch for all this.

Yeah I really like the south side, too bad the area is saturated with ODs. Don't forget if you're looking for a newer (looks basically brand new) house around 2000 sq ft in a nice subdivision just let me know. I'd sell it for less if I don't have to get a realtor :D . I mean come on...stainless steel appliances, fenced in private back yard, and great location near everything. Why rent, in four+ years you will amass good equity. I sold my house in Bloomington after my 4 years in school and made a nice profit. Ok, end shamless plug.

Send me some info on your house. I was out there last month with my wife looking for houses, and my wife is heading back out in april to look again. I need info like sq feet, distance to school, price, and pics. Your account isn't sent up for PM, or I would pm you.