Individual study for CR/NCR option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a question like this. I currently enrolled 14 units this semester at a California State University. I'm a postbacc student. In addition, I am volunteering in my Biology professor's research lab. The professor told me if I would like to take my research as an Individual Study upper division class for Credit option (he will be willing to give me 4 unit of credits.) I am not sure if I should do this because I since he already agreed to have me as one of the authors in his research paper later, in addition to giving me recommendation letters.

My concern is since this Individual Study class doesn't have the letter grade option (the title of the class ony says "Individual Study"), I don't know if it will look bad in my transcript? I did not take any P/NP or CR/NCR. The only nice thing is it shows that I take 18 units this semester.

Thanks for your input,
MM

Members don't see this ad.

One CR class doesn't look bad at all. If there is a trend of you taking a bunch of CR/NCR classes, you will most likely have to explain. However, if it's 1 CR class that could only be taken CR/NCR, it would raise no suspicion whatsoever.