Industry: PCV, PK/PD, Medical Affairs, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edw4rd.12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wanted to gain some insight from PharmD's on their experiences in industry. I've been told by colleagues who work for big pharma that industry loves taking in PharmDs for MSL, drug safety, clinical pharmacology, or PK/PD modeling roles. My main goal is clinical pharmacology, but I'm receptive to the other positions as well.

I'm currently in the process of finishing my MS in pharmacology at Ohio State. I got accepted to a PharmD program with a ~100,000 scholarship and my goal is to be a PharmD/MS in industry with a fellowship. I have both bench and clinical trial research experience - I currently work in clinical trials for gynecologic oncology and did academic research and earned publication in BBI.

Before you jump the gun and ask why I don't go for PhD, I'll go ahead and tell you'd I'd like to keep the option to dispense should I decide to take that route in the future (if I get tired of industry). I'd also like to work as a part-time floater alongside my potential full-time industry job. I'm ok with working a bunch of hours; been there, done that. And frankly, I'm just not interested in potentially being stuck in post-doc hell.

I understand the job market for traditional pharmacy practice is horrendous. So, if you're trying to save me, I appreciate it, but I have passion and background for drug sciences and it's what I want to do with the rest of my life. It's not just about the money for me.

Which brings me to a few questions for fellow Pharm.D.'s who've worked in industry:
(1) How were your experiences in getting a fellowship? (if applicable)
(2) Do you think an MS in pharmacology is an advantage?
(3) What is your specific role in industry?
(4) How is the opportunity for growth?
(5) Is it possible to set up a rotation for industry work in your final year?

Thx:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user