Infamous 5 licensure question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tensyle

3 more months
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im confused about this even after reading up...

So we can go to medschool in these 5 states, but in order to practice in these five states, we need to do the extra traditional rotation? Or is it that to get your DO degree, you need to do the traditional rotation? If we do medschool in one of these states, and then get into a residency elsewhere in the US, is the traditional rotation required?

thanks for the help...

Members don't see this ad.

Im confused about this even after reading up...

So we can go to medschool in these 5 states, but in order to practice in these five states, we need to do the extra traditional rotation? Or is it that to get your DO degree, you need to do the traditional rotation? If we do medschool in one of these states, and then get into a residency elsewhere in the US, is the traditional rotation required?

thanks for the help...

I believe those 5 states require that, if you are going to complete a DO residency, you have to do an AOA traditional rotation before your residency. I'm not sure though if that is the case if you are going into an MD residency.

hmm thanks Jaggerplate...anyone else have feedback?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay this is how I understand it but I could be wrong. If you go to med school in one of those five states you're not affected. However if you choose to do a residency in one of those states you either have to do that extra year or try to get an MD residency to count instead. If you leave that state for residency it does not affect you.

Okay this is how I understand it but I could be wrong. If you go to med school in one of those five states you're not affected. However if you choose to do a residency in one of those states you either have to do that extra year or try to get an MD residency to count instead. If you leave that state for residency it does not affect you.

that is how i'd like to think of it...but how are you supposed to get an MD residency to count as a trad rotation, when its hard enough to explain why you went for an MD residency?

What are the 5 states?

Hopefully I can shed some light on the issue: you need to complete an AOA-approved internship year in order to be licensed and practice as a DO in the five states: West Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, and Michigan.

You can meet this requirement in two ways:
1.) Entering an osteopathic residency which has either a "traditional rotating" internship year or one that is built-in or integrated into the larger residency program.

2.) Complete an internship at an allopathic (ACGME) residency that is also AOA approved/recognized. Some ACGME programs are "dually" approved by both so they meet this requirement. OR you can apply for resolution 42 through the AOA to have them officially recognize your internship year at an allopathic institution.

You can do any given residency type in any given state, allo or osteo, it is totally your choice. But if you want to practice in these states you have to have your internship year somehow approved by the AOA.

Personally I think it is a big fat joke and I don't believe for a second that these state AOA boards give a crap about recruiting physicians to serve their precious "underserved" communities. Let's turn away competent physicians who might have trained at elite hospitals across the country because they didn't waste an entire year repeating 3rd year student rotations, right......

Hopefully I can shed some light on the issue: you need to complete an AOA-approved internship year in order to be licensed and practice as a DO in the five states: West Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, and Michigan.

1.) Entering an osteopathic residency which has either a "traditional rotating" internship year or one that is built-in or integrated into the larger residency program.

2.) Complete an internship at an allopathic (ACGME) residency that is also AOA approved/recognized. Some ACGME programs are "dually" approved by both so they meet this requirement. OR you can apply for the special resolution something-or-other through the AOA to have them officially recognize your internship year at an allopathic institution.

You can do any given residency type in any given state, allo or osteo, it is totally your choice. But if you want to practice in these states you have to have your internship year somehow approved by the AOA.

Personally I think it is a big fat joke and I don't believe for a second that these state AOA boards give a crap about recruiting physicians to serve their precious "underserved" communities. Let's turn away competent physicians who might have trained at elite hospitals across the country because they didn't waste an entire year repeating 3rd year student rotations, right......

okay that clears things up a lot for me..thanks a lot :) :thumbup:
yeah, its kinda lame to have that requirement...and then ppl complain that we're short on physicians in some areas.... :confused:

i thought PA was short because of malpractice costs, but this sure wont help them either,

id really like to go to school @ nova but im not sure id practice in florida.

I want to also add that resolution 42 is not that hard to get. Its mainly some paperwork and your "creativeness" on why you dont do an AOA internship. If you have a half legit excuse like I want to live in D.C. cause I like it there, but there is no AOA internship they will grant it. I looked up a AOA session where they were granting them and very few were denied.

2.) Complete an internship at an allopathic (ACGME) residency that is also AOA approved/recognized. Some ACGME programs are "dually" approved by both so they meet this requirement. OR you can apply for resolution 42 through the AOA to have them officially recognize your internship year at an allopathic institution.

So unless you're absolutely sure you won't be practicing in West Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, or Michigan, you pretty much have to fulfill the requirement just in case, am I correct? I'm a Michigan resident and so far only accepted to a Florida DO school, so it's looking like I'll have to do this. And just to clarify this as well, if you don't do one of the AOA internships that have it incorporated, you're going to have an extra year tacked onto your medical education, right? Thanks.

i thought PA was short because of malpractice costs, but this sure wont help them either,

id really like to go to school @ nova but im not sure id practice in florida.

Note that some residency programs will not accept you due to that internship requirement. Florida is most stringent on this. I once counseled a 4th year student who applied to a pathology residency at U of Miami only to be told he would be dropped because he had not taken an AOA approved internship year before starting the residency. the reason??? because Florida would not give him the medical license he needed for the residency.....I guess they did not have a residency/training license option.However, I just learned that once you complete your residency..the stringency seems to decrease. One of her school friends completed a pathology residency at Johns Hopkins and had no difficulty in getting a license to practice pathology in Florida....WITHOUT AOA input on approval of residency...
yeah it is a double standard and until osteopathic physicians start getting involved in thier state medical boards and working to defeat these inconsistencies..the medical students and new residents will continue to suffer

At what point do you file for exception 42. Is it first, or do you take a gamble through the residency that it will work?

does this apply if you go to med school in Florida, but want to do your residency/practice in New York, for example?

At what point do you file for exception 42. Is it first, or do you take a gamble through the residency that it will work?

I believe you're supposed to apply very early on in internship so that you have time to meet the requirements. Everyone I know who has done this had their approval (pending their meeting the requirements) within a couple of months of starting internship.

does this apply if you go to med school in Florida, but want to do your residency/practice in New York, for example?

This is all about licensure to practice. It is not related to what state you attend medical school in.

Ok. As I'm almost sure I will want to practice in Florida (Live here), then I need some input.

Lets say I go to med school anywhere and apply for a residency in Florida am I in the clear? Would ALL Osteopathic residencies in Florida be AOA approved?

Or does this just apply if you complete an internship/residency in another state and THEN want to come and practice in Florida?

Thanks..

So is this whole licensure thing something we don't need to worry about until we start thinking about where we want to go for residency, and subsequently where we plan to practice? I have enough to stress about now, so if this is not an issue for me now, I plan to put it out of my head. Thanks.

So is this whole licensure thing something we don't need to worry about until we start thinking about where we want to go for residency, and subsequently where we plan to practice? I have enough to stress about now, so if this is not an issue for me now, I plan to put it out of my head. Thanks.

It's not a burning issue immediately if you're early in osteopathic school.

In my specialty (anesthesiology) it's easy to get AOA approval for internship by pointing out how few DO anesthesia residencies are available. It was a minor pain, just some hoops to jump through. I did it my intern year, but I know of someone who got his internship approved retroactively.

I can't speak to other specialties as to what it's like, but most people get AOA approval if they follow through.

He's right on the money here folks. I'm applying to Osteopathic urology programs that has an integrated traditional osteopathic rotating internship built in. The other option is to just match to a rotating internship and then reapply thru the match again to go straight into osteopathic urology as a PGY2 or to apply the old route and go prelim surgery to urology.

Of course, if you don't want to practice in the 5 states, then go wherever ya like ;) I personally would like the ability to practice anywhere.