Info about Brown Med. School in Rhode Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HussainGQ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about Brown Medical School in Rhode Island?Is it a very competitive school to get into for non-Rhode Island residents??

Members don't see this ad.

in the past, brown med has only accepted its students from brown undergrad (through an 8-year program where you apply straight out of high school) and through the brown-dartmouth exchange (unless you applied for md/phd. they take those people from anywhere). so if you didn't go to those two schools, you were s.o.l. supposedly, though, this is the first year that they will be accepting applicants from other undergrad schools. thus, there's no real info on how choosy they'll be.

Syranope2 said:
in the past, brown med has only accepted its students from brown undergrad (through an 8-year program where you apply straight out of high school) and through the brown-dartmouth exchange (unless you applied for md/phd. they take those people from anywhere). so if you didn't go to those two schools, you were s.o.l. supposedly, though, this is the first year that they will be accepting applicants from other undergrad schools. thus, there's no real info on how choosy they'll be.
Where did you get this information? Brown has had several special admissions programs involving several different schools, and spaces for open admission in the past. Although competitive, this is not the first year they will be admitting students from other undergraduate institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
And lucky for us, you specified that Brown is in RI. Because most of us were wondering where it is? Now where is that damn Harvard?

I don't believe they are at all affiliated with the state of Rhode Island. So they probably don't give any disadvantage being a non stater.

DoctorDoom said:
Where did you get this information? Brown has had several special admissions programs involving several different schools, and spaces for open admission in the past. Although competitive, this is not the first year they will be admitting students from other undergraduate institutions.

They did have several special admissions programs, but as of last year and the year before their web site stated that they wern't allowing random college students to apply. The word on the street is that they are just trying to rise in the rankings because most other IVY's/prestegious schools are way ahead of them.

fullefect1 said:
They did have several special admissions programs, but as of last year and the year before their web site stated that they wern't allowing random college students to apply. The word on the street is that they are just trying to rise in the rankings because most other IVY's/prestegious schools are way ahead of them.
Yes, that's true, but not only are their special programs open to applicants from more schools than just Brown and Dartmouth, they did have many years of open admissions to outside undergrads before 2001... but it does complicate the question of their competitiveness, no question.

DoctorDoom said:
Yes, that's true, but not only are their special programs open to applicants from more schools than just Brown and Dartmouth, they did have many years of open admissions to outside undergrads before 2001... but it does complicate the question of their competitiveness, no question.

No, on the Brown Med website it says that they have not had "open admissions" for more than 20 years. Sorry, Charlie.

stinkycheese said:
No, on the Brown Med website it says that they have not had "open admissions" for more than 20 years. Sorry, Charlie.
:rolleyes:

1) Actually it's 15 years since they have had totally open admissions... and since Brown was founded in 1811, what does that mean? That's right, MANY years of open admissions before 2001.
2) Which schools are feeders to the EIP program? Right, not just Brown and Dartmouth. Let's not forget the postbac program.
3) Who you calling "Charlie?"

DoctorDoom said:
1) Actually it's 15 years since they have had totally open admissions... and since Brown was founded in 1811, what does that mean? That's right, MANY years of open admissions before 2001.

The way you wrote it made it seems like you were talking about years immediately preceding 2001. And why 2001? This is 2004, so I don't know why you are talking about policy in 2001.

2) Which schools are feeders to the EIP program? Right, not just Brown and Dartmouth. Let's not forget the postbac program.

That's not open admissions, those are linkage programs.

Brown is only accepting 10 people through regular admission that is initiated with this 2004-2005 application cycle.

I wasted my $30. :thumbdown:

stinkycheese said:
The way you wrote it made it seems like you were talking about years immediately preceding 2001. And why 2001? This is 2004, so I don't know why you are talking about policy in 2001.

Follow the the thread, I was responding specifically to this statement:

They did have several special admissions programs, but as of last year and the year before their web site stated that they wern't allowing random college students to apply.

So I just used some simple subtraction to make a point.

That's not open admissions, those are linkage programs.

Obviously it's not open admission, but again I was responding to specific statements:

so if you didn't go to those two schools, you were s.o.l. supposedly, though, this is the first year that they will be accepting applicants from other undergrad schools.

That poster was referring to Brown and Dartmouth, indicating that in the past Brown accept students only from the PLME and Brown-Dartmouth joint programs. Although not open admissions, my original point that they did accept students from other undergraduate institutions is accurate.

Oh the pitfalls of an online conversation... ;)

I think Brown was founded in 1764, not 1811. Anyway, they're basically opening admissions to non-PLME folks to increase their ranking which is rather low for an ivy med school (40 something in research, 20 something in primary care), even though it's a relatively new medical school. They're investing a great deal of money into research over the next few years in a direction away from the teaching-centric mission of the school (Brown calls itself a "University-College", and is more of an Amherst than a Harvard currently) to a more research-oriented institution. Ruth Simmons (Brown's President) is making major changes to the school, and is making many members of the Brown community (including myself) somewhat anxious in the process. Can Brown retain it's undergraduate-focused, progressive, liberal, open curriculum while pouring money into its graduate and professional programs? The aformentioned qualities make Brown a unique institution not only within the ivy league, but also the academic world. The University's "Plan for Academic Enrichment" (http://www.brown.edu/webmaster/acad_enrich.html) might strip away its special place and make it into a second-tier-Harvard, but it will also make it a stronger research-university, which is, for better or worse, the paradigm within which the modern U.S. educational system judges the strength of an institution. Open admissions is a means to get the "Brown" name out into the medical world, and specifically to all medical school applicants. Increased name recognition would presumably lead to more money, higher selectivity (although the PLME is selective enough at this point) and better faculty.

For more information on Brown's medical mission, follow this link:
http://brownalumnimagazine.com/storydetail.cfm?ID=2347

Members don't see this ad :)
LP1CW said:
And lucky for us, you specified that Brown is in RI. Because most of us were wondering where it is? Now where is that damn Harvard?
Brown is one of those Ivies most of the general public does not know about.

Dr. Chiquita said:
Brown is only accepting 10 people through regular admission that is initiated with this 2004-2005 application cycle.

I wasted my $30. :thumbdown:

Ehh, where's it say that? Only 10 huh? That sucks.

Stewie said:
I think Brown was founded in 1764, not 1811.

You're right, the University was founded in 1764, I should have specified that the med school was founded in 1811...

Stewie said:
I think Brown was founded in 1764, not 1811. Anyway, they're basically opening admissions to non-PLME folks to increase their ranking which is rather low for an ivy med school (40 something in research, 20 something in primary care), even though it's a relatively new medical school. They're investing a great deal of money into research over the next few years in a direction away from the teaching-centric mission of the school (Brown calls itself a "University-College", and is more of an Amherst than a Harvard currently) to a more research-oriented institution. Ruth Simmons (Brown's President) is making major changes to the school, and is making many members of the Brown community (including myself) somewhat anxious in the process. Can Brown retain it's undergraduate-focused, progressive, liberal, open curriculum while pouring money into its graduate and professional programs? The aformentioned qualities make Brown a unique institution not only within the ivy league, but also the academic world. The University's "Plan for Academic Enrichment" (http://www.brown.edu/webmaster/acad_enrich.html) might strip away its special place and make it into a second-tier-Harvard, but it will also make it a stronger research-university, which is, for better or worse, the paradigm within which the modern U.S. educational system judges the strength of an institution. Open admissions is a means to get the "Brown" name out into the medical world, and specifically to all medical school applicants. Increased name recognition would presumably lead to more money, higher selectivity (although the PLME is selective enough at this point) and better faculty.

For more information on Brown's medical mission, follow this link:
http://brownalumnimagazine.com/storydetail.cfm?ID=2347

Currently, Brown rides its Ivy league distinction. I think it's rather ridiculous that they are that selective--if they weren't an Ivy league school, they wouldn't get nearly as many applications. You're right, Brown is more of an Amherst than a Harvard, but it isn't nearly as good as Amherst.
As far as the medical school goes, the school should not go up in rankings because they are accepting an extra 10 students from the "outside." If it does, then it will only strengthen the point that Brown depends on the fact that it's an Ivy. The medical school is mediocre at best, but for many people it would be nice to go to a "prestigious" Ivy.

haha, i sense some brown hate from your posts on two separate threads.

"Currently, Brown rides its Ivy league distinction. I think it's rather ridiculous that they are that selective--if they weren't an Ivy league school, they wouldn't get nearly as many applications. You're right, Brown is more of an Amherst than a Harvard, but it isn't nearly as good as Amherst."

What is your reasoning behind this? Are you a bitter reject?

P.S. Your icon is nice, but I got the name behind mine.

Where is everyone getting this 10 students number? Is that how many spots are open after all the other groups (post-bacc, 8 year-program,etc.) are considered?

mtlong said:
Where is everyone getting this 10 students number? Is that how many spots are open after all the other groups (post-bacc, 8 year-program,etc.) are considered?

you can see it here

or in the second link GBFkicks posted. :thumbup:

Wow. Only 10 spots... that is wild. Do you guys think it is even worth trying?!?!??!

This seems like a pretty transparent attempt at boosting their US news ranking with a spiffy new acceptance %. Weak.

Edit: Oh, the brown link says their goal is "to rank in the top quartile of US medical schools". I guess it's not "pretty" transparent, it's completely transparent.

Stewie said:
haha, i sense some brown hate from your posts on two separate threads.

"Currently, Brown rides its Ivy league distinction. I think it's rather ridiculous that they are that selective--if they weren't an Ivy league school, they wouldn't get nearly as many applications. You're right, Brown is more of an Amherst than a Harvard, but it isn't nearly as good as Amherst."

What is your reasoning behind this? Are you a bitter reject?

P.S. Your icon is nice, but I got the name behind mine.

No, sorry, I would have applied if I had wanted to go there--I mean, you have to like the liberal curriculum, but the positives end there. I just think that it's annoying that a school can be considered good just because it's an Ivy. Even US News, who love the Ivies, has been dropping Brown down its rankings. The school is over rated in every way. Have you guys gone to blind admissions yet or do they still consider your financial situation. How much bull**** is that? Why should a school ever consider whether a student has money or not. Every other school can accomodate less financially fortunate applicants.
Second, as other have said, how obvious is it that they are trying to boost their rankings. It's 10 spots-- 8 of which will go to some Ivy students. Give me a break... you can't see through this? If you're going to open admissions, then open admissions.

Wow, I just checked the links -- I was considering applying (especially when I got that brochure from them) but now I'm totally glad I didn't waste my $30. The link says they'll be increasing their student population by a third, but for this year, they're just taking 8-10 outsiders as a "pilot" program. Talk about a misleading ploy.

All this talk about Brown being like an unknown IVY seems odd to me. Until three years ago, the only IVY's I could name were Harvard, Brown, and Yale. Maybe this is just because I am from MA though.

Hey everyone is bashing Brown Med School, but check out their match lists. In the last few years, over half the class went to Ivy residency programs..harvard, yale, etc. check it out!