info for paper please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drewschool

Drew
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am trying to do a paper for eng 222, and i have chosen to pick the topic of internet/mail-order contact lens companies and their conflict with eye doctors, my eye doctor has informed me that they bend the rules and give contacts to those without a prescription, or expired ones. can anyone else shed some light on this subject and maybe let me in on the real issue behind this, thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

...my eye doctor has informed me that they bend the rules and give contacts to those without a prescription, or expired ones. can anyone else shed some light on this subject and maybe let me in on the real issue behind this, thanks...

I believe you just described the real issue.

The other main issue is that people can order years and years worth of CLs from these sites and never go back to their eye doctor for a CL check. These 6month/annual (typically, although frequency is case specific) appointments are to ensure that wearing CLs are not causing any adverse effect to your eyes, and eye health. Placing a CL on the eye decreases the amount of oxygen getting to the cornea, also there is an increased chance of bacterial contamination with CL use. All these things should be monitored regularly. As well as eye health issues, your prescription may be changing and you may be able to get better vision through an updated prescription.

Members don't see this ad :)
health issues will be one of my main points, and the importance of regular checkups. But is there anything i could cover that justifies the loss of business for eye doctors', or does the free market dominate this problem?

when i worked at a clinic, i had to help with contact lens orders and such. If the patient wants to buy contacts from an online source or over the phone, the company (i.e. 1800contacts) is required to fax over a form to the optometrist to verify the information (Rx and expiration date).

I do not know if the "1 year expiration for CL Rx's" is set in stone anywhere.

Also, you might notice that certain brands of contacts come as monthlies (i.e. Focus Night and Day), quarterlies, and even annuals. If a patient's monthly CL tears or they lose it, then their 1 year supply becomes an 11 month supply. 11 months goes by, the patients vision insurance hasnt kicked in to get a new CL exam, so the patient needs some more contacts until it does. The patient will need to order more contacts. Only solution they know of is to refill the prescription. Focus Night and Days come in boxes of 6 (6 month supply). So at some point, someone will have to bend the 1 year supply rule, and he/she will end up 18 months instead of 12 months of contacts in the long run.

Im sure you wont be able to gather much factual evidence, but rather rely heavily on personal quotes for this paper topic. If you could gather real evidence that companies are bending rules and ignoring proper Rx procdures, I'm sure you can put them out of business. Which I doubt will happen.

so i have some issues i can cover any additional variables are appreciated, but i have now the importance of regular checkups, the downfall to the freemarket and values of buying from your careperson, and how contact prescriptions are like drug prescriptions and you can't buy drugs(legally)from third party companies..... thanks for the help.