Info on Atlantic Bridge Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myg

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does any one know of the earliest that acceptance letters start going out for ABP applicants. I've heard of late March but was wondering if anyone can give me a definite answer.

Thanks

MYG

Members don't see this ad.

myg said:
Hello all,

Does any one know of the earliest that acceptance letters start going out for ABP applicants. I've heard of late March but was wondering if anyone can give me a definite answer.

Thanks

MYG

This is from ABP directly:
1. The universities' admissions committees will begin considering the North American applications for Fall, 2005 entry in mid January.

2. University College Cork, University College Dublin and Trinity College Dublin usually finalize their first rounds of offers in late March/early April. At that time they may accept, deny or wait-list your application.

3. The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland will invite those applicants who pass the initial evaluation (of their essay, academic credential, references, etc.) to interview with members of the medical faculty. The interview portion of the selection process is tentatively scheduled to be conducted in Boston or New York in June, 2005. It will be from the interviewed candidates that the final selection of entering students will be made. You will be notified in good time if you have been selected to attend.

4. As you will be notified by mail of the admissions committees' decisions on our cause please keep me advised of any changes in your email and postal addresses during the upcoming months.

Members don't see this ad :)
leorl said:
Once it gets around March/April time, you can also call them directly... mail can be a bit slow.

Thank you all for the quick replies. I will call Mr. Keenan when the time comes, ha, such a long wait till then though :) !!

I have some more questions and was wondering if anyone could be so kind to help me out.

1) I am married and was wondering if there are any married ABP applicants or students out there. Did you find it any easier/harder on applying or once when you got in ? Does your spouse work ? Specifically, my wife is a Ontario Licensed Teacher ? How easy is it for non-EU teachers to work in Ireland ?

2) I am currently working in the IT Consulting field. My company is sponsoring my Green Card and my application is in the RIR Labor Certification phase. I am applying for Sept 2005 entry to med school. My green card processing will probably take upto Sept 2006 to complete. Do you think the Irish Schools will be sympathetic to deferring acceptance for a year ?

Thank you !!

You should ask Mr. Keenan about deferrals...I don't think that is a common practice in Ireland, and don't know if they'd be receptive to it. I don't really see how that would hinder Irish school acceptance because you'd be on a student visa here. Do you mean you are getting a US Green card, and you need to be in the US for the 2005 year?

I'm not married myself, but one of my classmates is married and others brought their girlfriends with them (and are now engaged). They don't have problems here, but the trick is for your spouse to find work, which would be harder problem than you attending medical school :). Expect that you may have to be separated for a little while if your spouse has to attend further training courses (sometimes even back in the US, depending what field) in order to be qualified for a work visa here. I'm not sure about non EU teachers, but considering that teaching is always in demand...she might be able to find somewhere... However, I don't know how likely it is that a school will have money to sponsor non-EU work visas and she may have to absorb the cost herself... it really is a matter of researching and contacting different schools, which unfortunately could best be done once you arrive (meaning she'd be unemployed for awhile while searching for her options).

leorl said:
You should ask Mr. Keenan about deferrals...I don't think that is a common practice in Ireland, and don't know if they'd be receptive to it. I don't really see how that would hinder Irish school acceptance because you'd be on a student visa here. Do you mean you are getting a US Green card, and you need to be in the US for the 2005 year?

I'm not married myself, but one of my classmates is married and others brought their girlfriends with them (and are now engaged). They don't have problems here, but the trick is for your spouse to find work, which would be harder problem than you attending medical school :). Expect that you may have to be separated for a little while if your spouse has to attend further training courses (sometimes even back in the US, depending what field) in order to be qualified for a work visa here. I'm not sure about non EU teachers, but considering that teaching is always in demand...she might be able to find somewhere... However, I don't know how likely it is that a school will have money to sponsor non-EU work visas and she may have to absorb the cost herself... it really is a matter of researching and contacting different schools, which unfortunately could best be done once you arrive (meaning she'd be unemployed for awhile while searching for her options).

Hello,
Once again,thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, I would need to physically be present in the US and working for my current employer to keep my greencard processing active. Seeing as how i am only 1 year or so away from the greencard, I am trying to evaluate 1) if I should stay my current path and wait for my greencard as the ability to work in the US will serve me better in getting choice residencies in the US, or 2) I should forgo the current greencard processing and go to school in Sept. 2005 (if I get in !! ) and then worry about residencies after a couple of years.

It seems to be a personal choice between the 2 options, but I was wondering if anyone could offer their advice on the matter as well.

Thanks

I don't know the logistics of having a US green card. But it would seem a shame if you are only a year away from obtaining it and you decided to forgo it. You went through the process of getting a green card because at some point in your life, you wanted to reside in the US. Is this still the case? If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? If you forgo getting the green card and go off to do something else...then later in life decide that you do want to be in the US, you would have wasted the perfect opportunity to legally reside in the US and you'd have to start all over again, either by going through the process you're doing now, or the lottery system, or whatever.

In medical years, starting medical school one year later isn't going to make a difference in the grand scheme of life. Also, yes it is expensive...but perhaps try applying to US programs as well...there are less expensive schools that are still fine institutions (ie. some state schools)...

leorl said:
I don't know the logistics of having a US green card. But it would seem a shame if you are only a year away from obtaining it and you decided to forgo it. You went through the process of getting a green card because at some point in your life, you wanted to reside in the US. Is this still the case? If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? If you forgo getting the green card and go off to do something else...then later in life decide that you do want to be in the US, you would have wasted the perfect opportunity to legally reside in the US and you'd have to start all over again, either by going through the process you're doing now, or the lottery system, or whatever.

In medical years, starting medical school one year later isn't going to make a difference in the grand scheme of life. Also, yes it is expensive...but perhaps try applying to US programs as well...there are less expensive schools that are still fine institutions (ie. some state schools)...

Hello,
Yes, that is exactly what is on my mind. I am a Canadian Citizen and am 28 years old. One of my motivations for even considering forgoeing the GC application is my age (ha ..not getting any younger!! and the fact that I recently got married). I feel that my life is in a holding pattern so to speak and I want to take some concrete steps in moving my life forward. My parents reside in the US and my spouse's parents reside in Canada, so coming back to NA is important, if only, to be closer to family.

All this may just be a moot point if I don't get into any school. I am a B.Comm (Mcgill) graduate with a minor in Science, GPA=3.5, MCAT=28 and various medical curricular activities. I feel my scores are too low for Canadian Schools and as for US schools since I would be an international student, my choices are limited.

Seeing as should you pursue the green card, you would have to postpone anything for a year anyway and keep working, why don't you take the MCAT over again? McGill is a great university...I doubt a 3.5 would keep you from interviews either there or in the US. However, the MCAT is low...I know pain in the butt especially when working, but why not study it again and get your knowledge tiptop, then take it again? That way, you could explore more options both in Canada and the US .