info on columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OB2B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Wondering if anyone wants to share an opinion on the NY Presby Columbia program. Rumors of malignancy, didn't feel that way to me after I talked to alot of residents at the 'social' and interview day. I know they have revamped alot of gyn-onc in recent years, and had one person say that the gyn-onc old guard was part of the 'malignancy' problem (no pun). Anyone from there or rotated there care to weigh in on the character of the program?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did not rotate there nor am I from there, but I have a friend who's a resident there and confirms the malignant rumors, at least to some extent. She says how the residents are treated and what they are asked to do is at times dangerous and at best a ridiculously overworked environment. She says the trade-off is you see a great amount of stuff and work with leaders in the field, but she personally believes you could probably get that elsewhere at a chiller place. And then IMO from the interview day, I found that this place certainly attracts strong personalities, good or bad you might like that, but for me I am steering clear. Wish I had listened to the general reputation on this one and saved my money actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi OB2B - I sent you a PM!

thanks for the pm. anyone else? (bump)

Hi OB2B - I sent you a PM!

Care to share your thoughts on Columbia Roxtu? I'm struggling with where to rank this program! It seemed great at the interview day, but I have heard very mixed reviews...

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Hi..I saw your post and had to make sure you understood some things about Columbia. First, a lot of what you hear about Columbia might be a reflection of NYC programs in general (particularly NYU, Mt. Sinai, and Columbia). Overall, you will be working your butts off at these institutitions...alot of scut, a lot of running around crazy....this is because it is affiliated with a public hosptial system....so nurses are not well-paid, not well-motivated, etc. The red-tape at Columbia is extreme. They have been over the past 6 years or so have been trying to get a 6th position...no luck so far...maybe the new chairwoman will be more successful. THe reputation of Columbia also comes from the former chairman, who didn't particularly like his position (was more interested in research I heard). Therefore, the 5 residents are doing the job of 7 residents and yeah, they are over-worked. But these residents are extremely smart, strong, determined, and motivated. They are the future leaders in this field and will endure the crap they have to go through. I don't think the faculty here is very lovey-dovey with their residents. It's a very professional environement but they don't emotionally abuse their residents. So malignant? in what sense..emotionally? answer is no. physicially...be prepared to work harder then you have in your life. Hope this helps.

PS. oh yeah, well don't know if you heard..but 5 residents dropped out of the program over the past 2-3 years. lifestyle desires, personal issues, etc.

Thanks for the posts and the PM's, all.

Yeah, BoraBora - I know the deal with NYC. I've decided, after much soul searching, to take the 'bad' that seems endemic in all NYC programs (high volume, scut, few NPs/PAs, some bad nursing) since being in NYC is the right personal choice for me. A tough decision after seeing the higher functionality and smoother operations at some of the other programs. So that kind of stuff in my baseline. I'm just worried about ending up at a place that goes above and beyond in having a hostile environment.....and all those residents leaving does seem like a red flag. All the input just helps me get a bigger picture about what really goes on there, beyond the reputation. So, thanks!

Hi Camper and everyone else,
For better or for worse, I just did not have a good experience during my Sub-I at Columbia. First the good: I think the academics are great (Grand Rounds etc.), and I actually had positive interactions with the Faculty I worked with in general. I also thought that the interns I worked with were superstars, intelligent as well as being cool people. Now the bad: I experienced real problems with resident camraderie, and that has become one of the most important factors for me as I'm considering my ROL. The fact that so many people have left in the last few years was a red flag for me, too, especially when people have transferred to other OB residencies (as opposed to totally switching track and doing Family Medicine or something). It can be hard for a program to turn things around after something like this, and I am hopeful that Columbia can do it. It was just not the right program for me at this point. PM me if you have more questions.

Ok- well if you want a more realistic pic of Columbia. My friend did a sub-I there and said that one of the PGY3s cried every day. One of the residents I spoke to said that if she had to do it all over again, she wouldn't apply to a NYC program in general. Columbia's extra benefits aren't that great...one paid conference all 4 years, 3 books for all three years...etc. The residents probably aren't super good friends because they don't have time during the day and are too exhausted to bond at night. THough, the day I did a second look, two of the interns has made plans for that night. THey were all super nice and friendly to me. I was at another interview in NYC and the doc I interviewed with was an attending at Columbia and this place and he told me that the closeness between residents is much less at Columbia then where he works now (present school not mentioned, just being careful). Half the residents come from NYC medical schools and are used to the crap that comes at being at a NYC hospital. Definitely, the first six months or so is the time that distinguishes between true Columbians versus the weaker (or maybe the more smart and sane to have left the program). Who knows??