Informal Couples Match Ophtho/EM Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSQ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiancé and I are currently going through the 'informal' couples match process with ophtho and EM. We only applied in major cities with multiple programs for EM. I've received some great ophtho invites, in most of the big cities that we'd hoped for. Unfortunately, he has 6 invites and we only overlap in 2 cities. He's been emailing programs in all of the places I've been invited but hasn't really heard back from anyone. Could anyone that's been through the process offer us advice? Especially related to the EM side of things? We are extremely nervous about ending up apart and want to make sure we're doing everything we can.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My fiancé and I are currently going through the 'informal' couples match process with ophtho and EM. We only applied in major cities with multiple programs for EM. I've received some great ophtho invites, in most of the big cities that we'd hoped for. Unfortunately, he has 6 invites and we only overlap in 2 cities. He's been emailing programs in all of the places I've been invited but hasn't really heard back from anyone. Could anyone that's been through the process offer us advice? Especially related to the EM side of things? We are extremely nervous about ending up apart and want to make sure we're doing everything we can.

I had a similar situation (Urology/ED) and it sounds like you are going about it the right way. Apply to cities with multiple options. Strongly consider your home program if you both have good relationships with your respective departments there, as his best odds at matching where you match is likely at your home institution. I was very upfront with the PDs at the places I interviewed which was generally well received as long as it was approached with the right attitude. Most PDs/chairmen I talked to said something along the lines of that they have had similar situations before and they have/will call the PD of the other program to try and work it out. The more helpful ones even offered to get the info from the other PD about if my SO had a realistic shot of matching there. Fortunately in my case my SO was if anything a better applicant then I was, so her odds of matching at or near were I matched were higher.

Unfortunately it sounds like you are the more competitive applicant, which makes things trickier. Generally PDs/chairs will be willing to help on your behalf at the place that you match, but it likely depends on the program how big a difference that makes for your SOs chances.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a similar situation (Urology/ED) and it sounds like you are going about it the right way. Apply to cities with multiple options. Strongly consider your home program if you both have good relationships with your respective departments there, as his best odds at matching where you match is likely at your home institution. I was very upfront with the PDs at the places I interviewed which was generally well received as long as it was approached with the right attitude. Most PDs/chairmen I talked to said something along the lines of that they have had similar situations before and they have/will call the PD of the other program to try and work it out. The more helpful ones even offered to get the info from the other PD about if my SO had a realistic shot of matching there. Fortunately in my case my SO was if anything a better applicant then I was, so her odds of matching at or near were I matched were higher.

Unfortunately it sounds like you are the more competitive applicant, which makes things trickier. Generally PDs/chairs will be willing to help on your behalf at the place that you match, but it likely depends on the program how big a difference that makes for your SOs chances.

Thanks for the response! I get mixed advice about being open with PDs and most of my mentors advised against it. Did you bring up the situation during all of your interviews? We were hoping it would be as you said, that the ophtho PD would reach out to the EM PD but it kind of seems like we have to wait until after I match. At that point I'm worried it may be too late for him if he hasn't already interviewed. Any general advice on how to bring it up during my interviews (e.g., something along the lines of letting them know you love the program, are hoping to couples match but are waiting on interviews for your SO, and ask if they have any advice)?