Inpatient Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DememTor

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Current IM resident interested in potentially going on to heme/onc fellowship. I know that onc is by and large an outpatient specialty, but that in academic settings where there are consult/primary onc/BMT/dedicated malignant heme services, you can end up having inpatient service responsibilities as part of your career.

Maybe this will change in time but I find the prospect of having both inpatient/outpatient responsibilities appealing (currently at a very inpatient/critical care heavy program and really enjoy taking care of acutely ill inpatients, may potentially find that hard to give up down the line in favor of a solely outpatient career).

I was wondering if anyone would be able to comment on what inpatient/outpatient splits typically look like for oncologists that practice in both settings (what the day to day looks like, how those weeks of inpatient service feel from an attending perspective, etc).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

“If you can’t decide between Heme Onc and ICU, then bone marrow transplant is for you.”

-Ben Franklin

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
HCT/cell therapy is a great mix of inpatient/outpatient. The inpatient stuff is all protocolized and pretty easy. Outpatient is a lot of good primary care, particularly for the allos. I am on inpatient for 4 months a year (quite frankly would do more as it is easier).