Input on FP as a specialty...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medschoolrunner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about FP since i came to med school and just completed my clerkship. I am excited about FP, but i am worried that I won't be knowledgeable enough in enough areas!! I keep thinking that maybe I should focus on one thing so I can become really knowledgable in one area and focus on that. I really enjoy talking to people, love preventive medicine, and like OB, peds, and adults... so FP seems like a no-brainer, right? But I can't help but wonder, why should a child come to me when they could go to a Pediatrician who spent an entire 3 years focusing on peds? what if i miss something that a pediatrician would pick up on, simply because of lack of time and experience? I guess my question to the FP residents and docs out there, do you feel like you know enough to be competent? As a third year medical student, I feel as if i still don't know anything, and I wonder how I could ever practice a specialty like FP that covers such a wide range of diseases! thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.