Input on FP as a specialty...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medschoolrunner

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been thinking about FP since i came to med school and just completed my clerkship. I am excited about FP, but i am worried that I won't be knowledgeable enough in enough areas!! I keep thinking that maybe I should focus on one thing so I can become really knowledgable in one area and focus on that. I really enjoy talking to people, love preventive medicine, and like OB, peds, and adults... so FP seems like a no-brainer, right? But I can't help but wonder, why should a child come to me when they could go to a Pediatrician who spent an entire 3 years focusing on peds? what if i miss something that a pediatrician would pick up on, simply because of lack of time and experience? I guess my question to the FP residents and docs out there, do you feel like you know enough to be competent? As a third year medical student, I feel as if i still don't know anything, and I wonder how I could ever practice a specialty like FP that covers such a wide range of diseases! thanks for your help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.