Institutional Action Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted848116

Hey everyone just had a quick question. So I was given a year-long "disciplinary probation" that would be placed on my unofficial transcript that would be removed afterwards and had to write a 1000 word essay about academic integrity for an alleged plagiarism case. It was for the first draft of a 10-page essay where I accidentally missed a citation for a quotation and paraphrase because I was rushing to try to submit the rough draft on time. I understand that even if it is coming off my unofficial transcript, I will have to report it as an Institutional Action on AMCAS.

So the question is basically how should I handle the situation? I am planning on providing a thorough explanation on AMCAS saying I learned from the mistake after talking with the Assistant Dean, the Professor, and writing the essay and how I admit to it and that it does not reflect upon my character as a whole. I am also thinking of trying to get a letter from the professor himself about it if that'd help and am planning on joining the Honors Council at my school the coming school year to show my initiative towards learning from this mistake.

In terms of chances, even with all of these are my chances still significantly decreased for getting in? I'm a pretty well-rounded candidate and the plagiarism case itself was for a first draft in my first official writing course at the school.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It must be reported. How it is handled by medical school admissions committees will be up for debate, perhaps even literally. One question we ask ourselves is, "would we want someone in our academic community who did that?" Something seriously dishonest (hacking a system to change a grade, deliberately changing answers on a paper and asking for a re-grade) would be the action of someone we don't want in our community but someone who was a bit careless with quotation marks on a first draft might be worthy of admission -- not all of us are saints, either.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) The punishment, indeed the action of getting an IA for not having a citation in a first draft, a place where you would be expected to make errors and the professor expected to teach you how to do this correctly is absurd.
Thanks for this reality check - it sounded excessively punitive to me.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone just had a quick question. So I was given a year-long "disciplinary probation" that would be placed on my unofficial transcript that would be removed afterwards and had to write a 1000 word essay about academic integrity for an alleged plagiarism case. It was for the first draft of a 10-page essay where I accidentally missed a citation for a quotation and paraphrase because I was rushing to try to submit the rough draft on time. I understand that even if it is coming off my unofficial transcript, I will have to report it as an Institutional Action on AMCAS.

So the question is basically how should I handle the situation? I am planning on providing a thorough explanation on AMCAS saying I learned from the mistake after talking with the Assistant Dean, the Professor, and writing the essay and how I admit to it and that it does not reflect upon my character as a whole. I am also thinking of trying to get a letter from the professor himself about it if that'd help and am planning on joining the Honors Council at my school the coming school year to show my initiative towards learning from this mistake.

In terms of chances, even with all of these are my chances still significantly decreased for getting in? I'm a pretty well-rounded candidate and the plagiarism case itself was for a first draft in my first official writing course at the school.

Thanks in advance!
Explain it and own it, and you'll be fine. We Adcom members will then think "what a sadistic ***** this kid had for a professor"

Reactions: 9 users
Word choice suggestion:

I'd suggest you absolutely not call it "alleged" plagiarism because that sounds like an excuse, but rather baldy own "sloppiness" and/or "carelessness" with your first draft that could easily have resulted in [unintentional] plagiarism in the final version. Follow with a statement of what you learned.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much for the input from all of you! I just had one quick follow-up question. So given this incident, would you think I should take a gap year to provide some buffer time or can I still apply this cycle? Thanks again.

Forgot one citation on a first draft and he reported it? dafudge

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Genuine question for the AdComs (and not necessarily related to you, OP—not trying to imply anything about your case, specifically; I’m just curious): do you guys ever read IA explanations on applications that describe punishments that sound excessive/disproportional to the IA (like OP’s example), and wonder if there’s actually more to the story/ whether the student is being entirely truthful?

Reactions: 1 user
Genuine question for the AdComs (and not necessarily related to you, OP—not trying to imply anything about your case, specifically; I’m just curious): do you guys ever read IA explanations on applications that describe punishments that sound excessive/disproportional to the IA (like OP’s example), and wonder if there’s actually more to the story/ whether the student is being entirely truthful?
There are times that one can suss out that the professors are being dickheads.

But the key thing for us to listen to the candidates explanation at interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
@Goro, do you think OP can apply this cycle, or do you think OP needs more distance from the incident?

Hey everyone! I'm back again just because I have a quick question in regards to this same incident. So I am applying this cycle, wrote on my application the IA very truthfully, how I understand the ethical problems behind, and how I have learned and will move on from the incident. I, fortunately, received one interview so far to my local state school! Would there be any advice on how I should convey this situation to an Adcom member? Do I go more into details compared to my IA statement on my AMCAS application or just stick with basically what I wrote on there? Also, do state schools usually pre-screen for an IA prior to inviting for an interview? Thanks again :) @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif

Reactions: 1 users
It must be reported. How it is handled by medical school admissions committees will be up for debate, perhaps even literally. One question we ask ourselves is, "would we want someone in our academic community who did that?" Something seriously dishonest (hacking a system to change a grade, deliberately changing answers on a paper and asking for a re-grade) would be the action of someone we don't want in our community but someone who was a bit careless with quotation marks on a first draft might be worthy of admission -- not all of us are saints, either.

Oh my goodness... Is this something you have actually seen before?? :eek:

Hey everyone! I'm back again just because I have a quick question in regards to this same incident. So I am applying this cycle, wrote on my application the IA very truthfully, how I understand the ethical problems behind, and how I have learned and will move on from the incident. I, fortunately, received one interview so far to my local state school! Would there be any advice on how I should convey this situation to an Adcom member? Do I go more into details compared to my IA statement on my AMCAS application or just stick with basically what I wrote on there? Also, do state schools usually pre-screen for an IA prior to inviting for an interview? Thanks again :) @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif
They don’t care at this point. They sent you the interview invite indicating it doesn’t exactly matter to them and the chances of it being brought up are minimal. If it does get brought up, just be honest again.

Reactions: 1 users
Would there be any advice on how I should convey this situation to an Adcom member? Do I go more into details compared to my IA statement on my AMCAS application or just stick with basically what I wrote on there? Also, do state schools usually pre-screen for an IA prior to inviting for an interview?
1) Don't bring the IA up to your interviewer unless asked. Either they don't know about it (closed interview) or they simply don't care. In both situations, it would only hurt you to bring it up.
2) The school has almost definitely seen the IA, and did not deem it significant enough to tank your application. Interviews are both financially- and time-consuming processes, and interview slots are limited. Unless this is a courtesy interview because it's your alma mater or due to family connections, etc, you have a real shot at getting an acceptance from here.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you both for the advice! I read in some Medical School interviewing books, however, that it is important to bring up the Institutional Action just so I can create my own rhetoric for the situation and not have the Adcoms think the worst about it. Do you still think I should follow that? Like for questions such as "What is your biggest regret in college" or "Do you feel there is anything else to talk about your application," should I briefly talk about the IA or no

Thank you both for the advice! I read in some Medical School interviewing books, however, that it is important to bring up the Institutional Action just so I can create my own rhetoric for the situation and not have the Adcoms think the worst about it. Do you still think I should follow that? Like for questions such as "What is your biggest regret in college" or "Do you feel there is anything else to talk about your application," should I briefly talk about the IA or no
Don’t highlight bad things. If they want to hear your own rhetoric, they will ask.

Oh my goodness... Is this something you have actually seen before?? :eek:

This happened at my undergrad. A professor briefly stepped out of his office hours to go to the bathroom or whatever, but left his computer unlocked. One student took the opportunity change a few grades in the online gradebook while another kept watch.

They were caught almost instantly.

• Wow
This happened at my undergrad. A professor briefly stepped out of his office hours to go to the bathroom or whatever, but left his computer unlocked. One student took the opportunity change a few grades in the online gradebook while another kept watch.

They were caught almost instantly.
Happened at my school too, except it was like legit hacking. And because the student did it from home across state lines that made it a federal crime and the FBI got involved.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
An IA (or any other flaw in your application) that is not bad enough to preclude you getting an interview is what I call a pimple. If you went on a first date with a small pimple on your chin would you bring it up and point it out and get ahead of any questions or would you steer the conversation in another direction?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users