Interested in DO and surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the application process and have applied to a few DO schools and I am becoming more supportive and interested of osteopathic philosophies each day. However I've had a lot of exposure to surgery as an undergrad and think thats what I'm really interested in. Can I get some opinions on how osteopathic medicine applies to surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in the application process and have applied to a few DO schools and I am becoming more supportive and interested of osteopathic philosophies each day. However I've had a lot of exposure to surgery as an undergrad and think thats what I'm really interested in. Can I get some opinions on how osteopathic medicine applies to surgery?

There are no high quality analyses in regards to an osteopathic be allopathic approach to surgery. So hard to really say.

IMO, it doesn't apply. An MD is considering surrounding arteries and nerves when they make the cut, as is a DO. A DO surgeon isn't thinking "how will this next cut affect my patients work and home life?". The only time osteopathic medicine is really applied is when you have a family physician who focuses on OMT work for their patients.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
There are no high quality analyses in regards to an osteopathic be allopathic approach to surgery. So hard to really say.

IMO, it doesn't apply. An MD is considering surrounding arteries and nerves when they make the cut, as is a DO. A DO surgeon isn't thinking "how will this next cut affect my patients work and home life?". The only time osteopathic medicine is really applied is when you have a family physician who focuses on OMT work for their patients.

A little sacral rocking can go a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

so picking surgery as a focus wouldn't really be following an osteopathic mission as far as admissions are concerned I should look into primary care specialties I would be interested in?

I've known a few DO surgeons (a neurosurgeon even) and not a one ever really discussed how they used osteopathic specific principles directly in their surgery. Getting into a competitive surgical residency can be more difficult if you go the DO route, but it is still possible.

Reactions: 2 users
so picking surgery as a focus wouldn't really be following an osteopathic mission as far as admissions are concerned I should look into primary care specialties I would be interested in?

You don't need to look into any specialties at all yet. Go to a medical school and do the best you can. This will open/close doors for you and can guide you toward and away from specialties.

Most DOs don't use OMM in practice BTW.

If you want to be a surgeon, and are applying DO, there's more to this story. Surgeons don't use Osteopathic philosophies.

Reactions: 1 user
To semi-hijack this, during admissions/interview process, is it self-sabotage to mention that you're interested in non-primary care specialties? I am definitely interested in FM, but Anesthesia looks really appealing as well. I know they aren't stupid and match non-primary care students all of the time, so would be ok to mention this stuff? Especially if they're an ultra-primary care focused school (e.g. PNWU)?

To semi-hijack this, during admissions/interview process, is it self-sabotage to mention that you're interested in non-primary care specialties? I am definitely interested in FM, but Anesthesia looks really appealing as well. I know they aren't stupid and match non-primary care students all of the time, so would be ok to mention this stuff? Especially if they're an ultra-primary care focused school (e.g. PNWU)?

Depends on the school. There are some schools that are VERY primary care focused. However, other schools don't care at all what you wanna do.

No school can force you to do a residency you don't want to do. That is up to you to have great board scores and apply to the program YOU want.

If your goal is different than the school's goal then you may want to consider if a particular school will be the best fit for you. Some that dedicate themselves to creating rural primary care drs may or may not have rotations or research opportunities that would give you the best chances for landing a particular specialty residency.

As far as discussing your plans with a particular school:

During a job interview at say Burger King would you think it helpful to discuss how you love making pizza and want to do that after you get some fast food experience???

Reactions: 5 users
My DO is a pediatric surgeon. He doesn't use OMT, he said he doesn't like it and it doesn't pertain to his patient population.

you can do surgery as a DO. osteopathy and the bull **** osteopathic philosophy has nothing to do with surgery. DO surgeons never talk about bull ****/osteopathy. osteopathy has nothing to do with surgery. the DO degree is simply a means of becoming a surgeon. rule #1 of DO surgery is to never acknowledge the existence of osteopathy.

lie. lie. lie. lie to ADCOMs. look them right in the eyes and tell them how thrilled you are to be pursuing FM/IM/peds/OMM. do not express any interest in anything other than primary care to these people. my school does everything they possibly can to force my class into primary care, so they want students who won't drag their feet.

...but once you get into school, **** 'em. go scrub some surgeries.

Reactions: 4 users
Only ~5% of all DO grads end up using OMM/OMT, so don't sweat it.