Interested in the health field. NP or MD? What should do I major in college?

redence

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior in high school, interested in the health field. Most of my family have well respected careers such as doctors, dentists...etc. My parents are pushing me to become a doctor, however I feel like I don't have the drive to go through the long years of med school and residency. I'm not totally against being a doctor, but as of right now I'm interested in being a Nurse Practitioner. Whatever health career I choose, I want to try to specialize in the dermatology field, and maybe possibly eventually start my own clinic. I like NP because there is less schooling and less debt. I will have more free time to go on vacations...etc after becoming a NP. However, my parents believe that being a doctor would be a better option due to a higher salary and higher status. I don't really care about status, and I wouldn't mind a job that offers a comfortable salary for my life such as a NP. I feel like if I do become a NP, I will feel inferior, and everyone (my family) will think i didn't work as hard.

Members don't see this ad.

Major in what you want but realize to be an NP you will need to do nursing first so the time commitment can become longer than you originally intended. Perhaps add PA to the mix. Research all careers more before making decisions.