Interested in Uro- 3rd year - suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B-wildered

Long live snug seal
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a MS3 who is really considering URO. I've been really enjoying my surgery rotation, however I have some lower back issues and spending more than 5- 6 hours in a surgery affects my back, especially if I am just sitting and not moving around. Because of this, I always "crossed" out surgery of my list. However, I was recently diagnosed with testicular cancer and had some interaction with an urologist who told me to think about Uro. I have had the opportunity to "shadow" a few lithotripsies and orchiectomy. I've been enjoying it because it seems to have a good mix of clinical and OR cases and the science/pathologies seem quite interesting to me. In addition, most of the procedures are fairly short and I could probably perform them while seated; I also think I could withstand the first couple years of gen surgery.

My school does not have a Uro program and the internet does not have a lot of info about it, so I am a little lost here. My stats are the following.

Step: 241
Pubs: 5: case reports - 3 in dermatology; one in pathology; one letter to the editor for a dermatology paper.

I would be open to take a a gap year to do research if necessary, but ideally I would like to jump right into a residency

Direct messages are ok.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am a MS3 who is really considering URO. I've been really enjoying my surgery rotation, however I have some lower back issues and spending more than 5- 6 hours in a surgery affects my back, especially if I am just sitting and not moving around. Because of this, I always "crossed" out surgery of my list. However, I was recently diagnosed with testicular cancer and had some interaction with an urologist who told me to think about Uro. I have had the opportunity to "shadow" a few lithotripsies and orchiectomy. I've been enjoying it because it seems to have a good mix of clinical and OR cases and the science/pathologies seem quite interesting to me. In addition, most of the procedures are fairly short and I could probably perform them while seated; I also think I could withstand the first couple years of gen surgery.

My school does not have a Uro program and the internet does not have a lot of info about it, so I am a little lost here. My stats are the following.

Step: 241
Pubs: 5: case reports - 3 in dermatology; one in pathology; one letter to the editor for a dermatology paper.

I would be open to take a a gap year to do research if necessary, but ideally I would like to jump right into a residency

Direct messages are ok.

Thank you

If you have good grades and do well on away rotations you can match. Try to get some clinical uro research done. You have a year it’s plenty of time. I don’t know how serious your back is, but you will definitely have to scrub on long cases >6hrs in residency.