Interesting... medical gift cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just heard about this on the radio, so I googled it. Seems like it could be helpful for loved ones. Supposedly the cards are taken anywhere Visa is accepted.

http://wcbstv.com/consumer/medical.gift.card.2.613799.html

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see the difference between this and buying a regular visa gift card and writing "for medical use" on it with a sharpie.

The visa gift card is expensive considering you can give cash (or heck a CVS gift card) for free. Talk about selling nickels for dimes. Absolute rip off. If you love your loved ones and love your money, cut them a check, buy them a steak, or hell make a house payment for them.

Slightly off topic...did anyone here get a boob job or other plastic surgery done as a gift? This reminds me of my friend who got a new set of boobs for graduating earlier this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see the difference between this and buying a regular visa gift card and writing "for medical use" on it with a sharpie.

The visa gift card is expensive considering you can give cash (or heck a CVS gift card) for free. Talk about selling nickels for dimes. Absolute rip off. If you love your loved ones and love your money, cut them a check, buy them a steak, or hell make a house payment for them.

Slightly off topic...did anyone here get a boob job or other plastic surgery done as a gift? This reminds me of my friend who got a new set of boobs for graduating earlier this year.
I think the benefit of the card is that you can write off the medical expenses.

It can be used for "elective" surgeries.

I wouldn't know about boob jobs, because I don't need one :p.

The only reason (besides write-offs) I can see for buying a card like this instead of just giving cash/a regular gift card is if you are buying for someone irresponsible. With cash, they can buy drugs, blow it all away gambling, etc. With a gift card, they can buy booze. With this card they might actually buy their damn insulin!:laugh: Otherwise... yeah, if my loved one really couldn't afford medical necessities, I would not make them wait until Christmas and then give the a gift card. That's kind of weird.

The only reason (besides write-offs) I can see for buying a card like this instead of just giving cash/a regular gift card is if you are buying for someone irresponsible. With cash, they can buy drugs, blow it all away gambling, etc. With a gift card, they can buy booze. With this card they might actually buy their damn insulin!:laugh: Otherwise... yeah, if my loved one really couldn't afford medical necessities, I would not make them wait until Christmas and then give the a gift card. That's kind of weird.
It definitely is weird! However, let's say someone gives you one of those Visa gift cards that can be used anywhere instead of a medical gift card. If you're really broke, you won't use the card for medication. It would go to food, gas, toiletries, etc. If it really came down to it, the person could get those types of necessities at a local food bank or shelter, minus the gasoline. I don't think they can get free medication unless they're within the Medicare coverage or have Medicaid. Even still, Medicare and Medicaid usually require copays that could be picked up by the medical gift card.

I think it's a marvel idea. The fees kinda suck and they shouldn't expire, but it still provides a new type of security.

You can write off medical expenses already, you don't need a card marked "visa medical gift card" to do it. The only time a card really comes into play with "writing off" expenses is an HSA account, but since that is funded by pre-tax dollars, there is no need to write anything off (it's already been done in the act of funding the account).

And if you have a hardcore alcoholic in the family, this card won't work either. They can then pop into their local pharmacy and buy a bunch of booze, assuming this card works like an HSA card and is auto approved at certain locations.

Visa gift card = visa gift card either way you look at it :thumbdown:

Another aside: my friend is declining any xmas gifts and instructing everyone to make a donation to this one charity she chose in her name, including everyone in her family. :thumbup:

You can write off medical expenses already, you don't need a card marked "visa medical gift card" to do it. The only time a card really comes into play with "writing off" expenses is an HSA account, but since that is funded by pre-tax dollars, there is no need to write anything off (it's already been done in the act of funding the account).

And if you have a hardcore alcoholic in the family, this card won't work either. They can then pop into their local pharmacy and buy a bunch of booze, assuming this card works like an HSA card and is auto approved at certain locations.

Visa gift card = visa gift card either way you look at it :thumbdown:
Ok, whatever. You win. I hate arguing over the internet. It just seems to get people into trouble. Like a true Southerner, I concede :p.