Interesting people you met during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jambob

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met a lot of awesome and interesting pre-dents during my interviews and feel like people looking to enter the field were so diverse in their backgrounds and hobbies. For example, one that really stuck out to me was a person who said they sold fireworks and was able to graduate from undergrad with little to no debt. I also met a guy who was already a captain in the U.S. military and then decided to pursue a career in dentistry. I learned some pretty cool things from fellow applicants and thought it would be interesting to start a thread that would also help pass time till TOMORROW!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I met the most obnoxious guy who told me "I'm going to be a periodontist. That's really the only reason someone should go into dental." He proceeded to go into every detail of his involvement and application without me even asking. "Yeah I do global brigades every other week and teach underprivileged children math in my free time." I did not get a SINGLE word in during that twenty minutes. And the best part: after I wished him good luck,"unfortunately I can't wish you luck for your interview because that might help you win my spot in the class." Not. Even. Joking.

Reactions: 32 users
I met the most obnoxious guy who told me "I'm going to be a periodontist. That's really the only reason someone should go into dental." He proceeded to go into every detail of his involvement and application without me even asking. "Yeah I do global brigades every other week and teach underprivileged children math in my free time." I did not get a SINGLE word in during that twenty minutes. And the best part: after I wished him good luck,"unfortunately I can't wish you luck for your interview because that might help you win my spot in the class." Not. Even. Joking.
They're in for a rude awakening come Dec 1st!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That was me, are you calling me obnoxious!?

Reactions: 6 users
One guy I met decided that he wanted to treat cleft palate patients after a few clinical rounds with a couple of plastic surgeons while in medical school, and after he got his MD, he went to dental school to pursue OMFS.

He was leading the tours at this particular school, either a D2 or D3 at the time. Interesting guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Met a salesperson & non traditional applicant who decided to pursue dentisty instead! We had a great conversation about the key to making an effective sales pitch.

Reactions: 1 users
What about interesting people you met on plane rides to/from an interview?

The day after the election I sat next to a guy who had a pretty prominent position on the Trump campaign. I'm not a fan of Trump so it was quite the conversation.

Reactions: 3 users
I met a guy who slu*-shamed and degraded his wife in conversation. That was cool...

Reactions: 1 user
I met this one really sweet girl at an interview who was talking to my mom at the breakfast bar at the interview breakfast. I really hope we both get into that school and we end up classmates.

Same interview: sitting around a table during lunch with a D4 and a professor and several other candidates and the girl next to me couldn't be more of an ass kissing, pest. Every time the professor made a statement she would reply milliseconds after his response with something to the tune of, " OMG, I totally know! The same thing happened to me!" Example: Professor says, "I graduated from Upper Arlington High School." Obnoxious girl, "OMG I know like 5 people who all graduated from there and they are all super smart."

I was just looking at her like......Dude...come on....

Reactions: 10 users
Had my Burger King meal robbed at midnight in Detroit for a Mercy interview! That was cool

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was studying immunology on the plan because I had the test the next day, and the guy sat next to me couldnt stop staring at the textbook, then non-stop asking what the hell am I doing with those weird figures and pathway, and then start reading the textbook cause "wow, this is cool stuff".

Also, I got upgrade to first class for free. Cause I dress to impress. and got lucky.

All of the for sure OMFS's and orthos were very interesting. They didn't hesitate to ask "what are the chances of getting into omfs/ortho" every time we pass by the post-doc ortho/omfs clinics. My eyes roll towards the back of my head.

I met many interesting people, but what stands out in my memory is this one surreal interview where everyone else in the room was so remarkably dull. Like, I couldn't believe how so many supposedly successful college graduates could have so little to say to each other in front of the admissions reps. We went around the conference table, introducing ourselves with a fun fact. One girl's "fun" fact was that she is half-Italian. Another girl said that she has two siblings. Then a guy said he likes to watch TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
I had a very good conversation with a nice, sweet guy during one of my very first interviews. I was gonna ask for his number (you know, maybe to discuss dental related things) and then I saw his ring. Oh well, I realize that in d-schools many good men (and women) would have already been taken.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I met many interesting people, but what stands out in my memory is this one surreal interview where everyone else in the room was so remarkably dull. Like, I couldn't believe how so many supposedly successful college graduates could have so little to say to each other in front of the admissions reps. We went around the conference table, introducing ourselves with a fun fact. One girl's "fun" fact was that she is half-Italian. Another girl said that she has two siblings. Then a guy said he likes to watch TV.
What was your fun fact, if you don't mind?

One of my guys let me borrow an extra tie for the interview after mine got dirty :whistle: Showing up the day of the interview without a tie was gutsy, but I knew he'd pull through ;)

What was your fun fact, if you don't mind?

I don't want to identify myself here with details, but I talked about a hobby I'm really good at. That is my go-to fun fact when the situation allows for a little bragging. But whenever I'm asked to give a silly fun fact, I usually say that I was the university-wide Chubby Bunny champion in undergrad.

bad intersting person:
This girl had her interview in the morning, and mine was in the afternoon, but during the presentation about the university the am and pm interviewees were mixed. So I happen to sit beside her and the entire time during the break and during the tours she kept telling anyone who hadn't interviewed yet on how the interview was soo weird. and when you ask her what made it weird? she was like you will see, so weird, so awkward. I never want to come here again. But anyone else that had am interview, they said it was easy going and relaxing. Seemed like she had an ulterior motive to get all the pm interviewees nervous. I did let her get to me, but the minute the interview started and I saw how relaxing the atmosphere was and luckily I relaxed.

good interesting people:
Met few people that I hit it off right away, same interests, easy going conversation. Felt like we could become BFFS if we end up at the same school! I hope so!

I don't want to identify myself here with details, but I talked about a hobby I'm really good at. That is my go-to fun fact when the situation allows for a little bragging. But whenever I'm asked to give a silly fun fact, I usually say that I was the university-wide Chubby Bunny champion in undergrad.
I can't think of anything that is more specific than being a university-wide Chubby bunny champion.. lol Some of us might already know who you are :D

Reactions: 3 users
bad intersting person:
This girl had her interview in the morning, and mine was in the afternoon, but during the presentation about the university the am and pm interviewees were mixed. So I happen to sit beside her and the entire time during the break and during the tours she kept telling anyone who hadn't interviewed yet on how the interview was soo weird. and when you ask her what made it weird? she was like you will see, so weird, so awkward. I never want to come here again. But anyone else that had am interview, they said it was easy going and relaxing. Seemed like she had an ulterior motive to get all the pm interviewees nervous. I did let her get to me, but the minute the interview started and I saw how relaxing the atmosphere was and luckily I relaxed.

good interesting people:
Met few people that I hit it off right away, same interests, easy going conversation. Felt like we could become BFFS if we end up at the same school! I hope so!

what school? don't let people like that get to you, guys. all of my interviews were so chill

Is Dwight Shrute going into dentistry?

Reactions: 2 users
At University of Michigan, I was at a McDonalds getting breakfast the morning of my interview. Got asked out by a girl. And I'm a girl. Interesting.

Last edited:
This one guy was really nervous for his interview, so he wasn't hungry during the lunch portion. I kind of looked at him and then back at his food, and then he just gave me his sandwich without saying anything.

This one guy was really nervous for his interview, so he wasn't hungry during the lunch portion. I kind of looked at him and then back at his food, and then he just gave me his sandwich without saying anything.

LOL poor guy!