interesting situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ur11med

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just completed my first semester at a rather prestigious university (Top 40 by USNEWS). I got a 3.8. While in high school, I took a few courses at my community college. I did not care too much about high school however, and I actually received 2 F's and 1 D at the community college. I actually retook all those courses at my high school in order to receive credit, so I never had to submit the college transcript. However, I know that I would have to submit these grades on the AMCAS application, even though they were never on my high school transcript. The courses were US history, macroeconomics, and introductory Art. 2 F's and a D, had they been at my university, would most likely been enough to raise a red flag and all med schools would reject me. however, they were courses taken at a community college during high school, so would they allow some leniency? I would like the most honest answers please, no matter how brutal they may be. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I just completed my first semester at a rather prestigious university (Top 40 by USNEWS). I got a 3.8. While in high school, I took a few courses at my community college. I did not care too much about high school however, and I actually received 2 F's and 1 D at the community college. I actually retook all those courses at my high school in order to receive credit, so I never had to submit the college transcript. However, I know that I would have to submit these grades on the AMCAS application, even though they were never on my high school transcript. The courses were US history, macroeconomics, and introductory Art. 2 F's and a D, had they been at my university, would most likely been enough to raise a red flag and all med schools would reject me. however, they were courses taken at a community college during high school, so would they allow some leniency? I would like the most honest answers please, no matter how brutal they may be. Thanks.

would you mind telling us what school you graduated from........

what school I graduated from? I'm only a freshman in college...and if you were referring to my high school i dont think that is relevant? my college however, is ranked within the top 40 national universities by USNEWS

Members don't see this ad :)
if those were the only courses you took at the community college then you're silly for even thinking to submit them...

but i heard that the AMCAS application makes it explicitly clear to list ALL post-secondary courses took, otherwise it would be considered academic fraud. However, I heard that some medical schools dont use the AMCAS application, so i would be able to legally get away with leaving out those courses, correct?

1. Yes you need to list all college-level course work even if done in high school.

2. Most medical schools are understanding of growth and development from a 17 year old taking classes to the approach a 21, 22 year old applicant would have.

3. Don't worry about it now. Figure out whether or not you want to go to medical school in 3 years, work on your GPA, do some meaningful ECs and get a good MCAT score and you should be fine.

what school I graduated from? I'm only a freshman in college...and if you were referring to my high school i dont think that is relevant? my college however, is ranked within the top 40 national universities by USNEWS

i mean what school are you attending right now?

I think the grades are still gonna be calculated in his AMCAS GPA. :(

Should it be addressed somewhere in the application?

I was wondering... will you also be including the grades from when you retook the classes in high school? You may want to check since this might show your improvement.

That would show your improvement since you took them in HS (as AP classes?) and passed them.

It's a tough situation... hope you find a solution somehow.

I thought the way it worked was that if you received high school classes for a class you took at a community college it doesn't count in your GPA. Because when I called AMCAS in June, that was one of my questions. I asked them about classes I took while in high school and they said only to send the transcript if I took them outside of my high school and didn't receive high school credit for them. In my case, I took the classes during the summer and didn't receive high school credit, so I submitted a transcript and my grades. But if you received high school credit thier might be a loop hole! Good luck with your undergrad years! Like everyone said, make sure you start getting involved now! A Good GPA will only take you so far!

so since I retook the classes at my high school, I wouldnt need to put the failures at the community college on my AMCAS application? also, does anyone know any noted medical schools that do not use the amcas application? i believe UT does

Texas uses TMDSAS but you're still going to have to input those bad grades. :( But turn that frown upside down! It's still all good in the hood; just keep doing well throughout undergrad and things should be okay.