Interfolio??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sha2106

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Is anybody using interfolio for their LORs? What are the pros and cons for using such services?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Pros - everything is centralized, with just a few clicks you can send to any school, priority mail, etc., ive used them for my application process, and it has been a breeze, they also show when schools recieve your letters of rec., you have a whole history so you know when everything happened

Cons - none

Interfolio = Godsend. You can usually submit your letters electronically which is much faster than paper. USE IT!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I am gonna go with it then. I guess it is also very cheap..$15 or something for a year. Kool :)

Interfolio is great. I would have drowned in losing everything this semester if I didnt have that service.

Interfolio is great. I would have drowned in losing everything this semester if I didnt have that service.

use it. there is nothing bad about it! I cant imagine having to send things in individually!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I used Interfolio with all the schools I applied to this year and it saved me big time (tough getting to the rec. letter center at my undergrad school to send them individually...)

Worked great everywhere but Drexel... but I'm pretty sure that it's Drexel and not Interfolio...

Interfolio's website says:

"Do all schools accept documents sent by Interfolio?

You can use Interfolio to make deliveries to any allopathic or osteopathic school (or any other institution). In addition, 70 medical schools have formally partnered with Interfolio to enable our users to send their credentials electronically, saving you both time and money."

Does anyone know which schools electronically receive stuff from them?

If you log onto the system (which I guess you have to have an account to be able to use) you can search schools and see if they have that set up. You can post a couple of schools and I'll look it up for you.

Also, UCSF does not want Interfolio if your school has a pre-med service.

It's a fantastic service!

If given the choice between Interfolio and your school's pre-med committee letter service, which would you choose?

I want something that is reliable, quick, and easy. I know Interfolio has an outstanding reputation, but I'm not too sure about my institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
interfolio excellent

Applied 4 years and had profs send out LORs on their own. Result: Had to resend 8 LORs from different professors

This year: used interfolio and no problems with lost documents. I like their electronic transfer feature as well.

can someone check to see if MUSC in on interfolio's list of med schools?

If you log onto the system (which I guess you have to have an account to be able to use) you can search schools and see if they have that set up. You can post a couple of schools and I'll look it up for you.

It's a fantastic service!

Thanks so much. And no I don't have an account yet. Can you check out Stony Brook, Upstate and Downstate. Also since they also have osteo schools can you also check NYCOM? Thank you so very much!!!

So if I decide to go with interfolio, I set up and account, then I ask profs, physicians, etc to write me LORs and ask them to send it to interfolio, via my account #, my name or how? Then how would I contact interfolio to ask them to send the specific documents to the school? Would I say send the LOR from Dr. X, Dr, Y, but not Dr Z to school AB; then send all LORs to school CD and send LOR from Dr R, Dr Y and Dr Z to school EF?

I don't know what happens when schools don't accept interfolio but when I called Columbia this fall the woman I spoke to said that they don't accept interfolio and do accept virtualevals. Anybody else experience this?

I don't know what happens when schools don't accept interfolio but when I called Columbia this fall the woman I spoke to said that they don't accept interfolio and do accept virtualevals. Anybody else experience this?

what's virtualeval?

So if I decide to go with interfolio, I set up and account, then I ask profs, physicians, etc to write me LORs and ask them to send it to interfolio, via my account #, my name or how? Then how would I contact interfolio to ask them to send the specific documents to the school? Would I say send the LOR from Dr. X, Dr, Y, but not Dr Z to school AB; then send all LORs to school CD and send LOR from Dr R, Dr Y and Dr Z to school EF?

When you sign up for an Interfolio account, you enter who will be sending letters to Interfolio. When you do, you print out a form to give to the professors. The form says you you waive your right of access and gives them an option of mailing the letter or faxing it (they also have to send the cover letter with a number on it). Alternatively, electronic submission is also an option. You can log in to check your status and see what letters have been sent in by professors.

Then...when you want to send the letters to a school, you click "new delivery" and enter the address of the institution. You then select which letters you want to be sent out. They are mailed the next business day. You can send any combination of letters to different schools. EXCELLENT SERVICE! I was in your same position last year asking this same question. I decided to use Interfolio and can't imagine having had to go through the red tape of my school.

Realize that Interfolio is a business and this is exactly what their business was built to do. Your school probably has people that do this as part of their jobs with other responsibilities.

VirtualEvals is like Interfolio except all they send is via electronic means.

Looking at Interfolio....No electronic: NYMC, NYCOM, Downstate, Stony Brook

Yes: NYU, Upstate

Not really an issue, just use Interfolio. Trust me.

Columbia doesn't have an electronic set-up with Interfolio. They do accept mailed Interfolio letters.

The pre-health advisor at my school said that all pre-meds should use Interfolio and that all medical schools will accept mailed letters through Interfolio. I certainly haven't had any problems so far, except with getting professors to actually write the letters.

The pre-health advisor at my school said that all pre-meds should use Interfolio and that all medical schools will accept mailed letters through Interfolio. I certainly haven't had any problems so far, except with getting professors to actually write the letters.

Tell them the deadline is sooner than when it is!

So, interfolio will have something on its website where you can download a recommendation letter and give it to your teacher so that they can send it to interfolio? how does getting a recommendation letter to your teacher work?

Yeah, they create a unique codenumber for each letter writer. You simply print off the form and give it to the professor. The site has a FAQ that is easy to use.

So after the letter makes it to interfolio you can read it yourself over the computer?

No. You never have access to the contents of the letters.

So Interfolio makes copies of the letter of recommendation so that they can send it to more than one school or how does that work?

So Interfolio makes copies of the letter of recommendation so that they can send it to more than one school or how does that work?

They upload them into a PDF or similar electronic file, then print them off and send them via USPS to wherever you tell them to go.

They upload them into a PDF or similar electronic file, then print them off and send them via USPS to wherever you tell them to go.

If my understanding is correct, some schools also accept electronic forms of the letters of recommendation as well. So I guess that means that Interfolio emails the PDF for them and the school prints it out and puts it in the file or something like that.

Either way, the school gets it, and you don't have to worry about your multiple letter writers sending their letter to a whole bunch of schools.

Looking at Interfolio....No electronic: NYMC, NYCOM, Downstate, Stony Brook

Yes: NYU, Upstate

Not really an issue, just use Interfolio. Trust me.

thank you very much. so if the school doesn't "use it", interfolio will print the LOR and send a paper copy to those schools?

Quick Question:
I cannot request transcripts from my old colleges as of yet, because the AMCAS 2008 application will not be uploaded until May, and therefore I don't have an ID, open application on file, etc. as of yet.

On interfolio, it says:
"Your portfolio can include letters of recommendation, transcripts, committee letters, test scores, and any other documents necessary in your pursuit of medical school."

So, can I request official transcripts from my old schools and tell them to send them to interfolio so they can be quickly sent within days to my AMCAS file in May, or is this incorrect?

Simply put, Can I retrieve my transcripts this way or do I have to wait until May and tell schools to send them directly to AMCAS?

Thanks for any input!

Just send directly from the school to AMCAS. You're not going to save yourself anytime going through interfolio, and you'll probably create an unnecessary headache.

Everyone is in the same boat, everyone waits for the new AMCAS before requesting transcripts. No worries.

Even worse: UCSF does not accept Interfolio if they know your school has a letter service.

I got an email after applying that told me this. I had to use Interfolio to send a copy of my references to my postbac letter service, then have the letter service send the LORs in to UCSF.

Of the 37 schools I applied to, UCSF is the only one that had any kind of problem with Interfolio.

Hey everyone

Is anybody using interfolio for their LORs? What are the pros and cons for using such services?

Thanks
interfolio is great for students that go schools with LOR letter committees. I appied to Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, LLU, Vandy, Cincinnati, Maryland, and some other schools, and they all accepted interfolio.

Got this off the interfolio website:

We offer many ways to deliver credentials fast:

Electronic delivery - $4
US Mail delivery - $5
International Postal Service delivery - $6
USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days) - $9
2-3 day delivery and tracking - $14

Are these prices for each individual letter sent or per school? So would it cost me $12 to send three letters to a school or would it just cost $4 to send three letters to one school? thanks

So how does a letter writer go about putting a LOR into your file at interfolio? What if they don't have an account themselves? Howe do they refer to your account either electronically or if they mail it? How do they go about mailing it? Address? How do you know it makes it to your file?

So how does a letter writer go about putting a LOR into your file at interfolio? What if they don't have an account themselves? Howe do they refer to your account either electronically or if they mail it? How do they go about mailing it? Address? How do you know it makes it to your file?

When you set up the file, you print off a waiver form (basically saying you waive your right to see the letters). They don't need an account, they just have to send the letter in with the sheet you give them. The sheet has a barcode that tells where it goes. You'll get an e-mail when it arrives in your account. Everything they need to know is on that sheet.

Interfolio has free accounts for recommenders that allows them to upload letters. They then match the uploaded letter to your cache via a unique number your recommender enters when he writes the letter. There are instructions for setting up a recommender's account on the waiver you print off to give to your recommenders. Also on that waiver is the number they should use to label the letter for interfolio's system.

I used it, it was great! Easy, fast, reliable.

Question, first time applying.

I just activated my interfolio account. So all I need to do now is give those printed out forms with the barcode to my profs so they can upload it, right?

And when they do upload, I decide when I actually want to send the LORs to specific schools? Since the LORs are not needed in the primary AMCAS app, I will send them out with my seconday app, right?

I plan to give the forms to my profs later this week. So the format of the rec letter is just the prof writing on an empty word doc, right? And it is an open-ended attached page to the interfolio printout correct? And all med schools want this format correct? So I don't need to give the profs any further instructions then what is on the interfolio printout?

Thanks for any info on this.

Question, first time applying.

I just activated my interfolio account. So all I need to do now is give those printed out forms with the barcode to my profs so they can upload it, right?

And when they do upload, I decide when I actually want to send the LORs to specific schools? Since the LORs are not needed in the primary AMCAS app, I will send them out with my seconday app, right?

I plan to give the forms to my profs later this week. So the format of the rec letter is just the prof writing on an empty word doc, right? And it is an open-ended attached page to the interfolio printout correct? And all med schools want this format correct? So I don't need to give the profs any further instructions then what is on the interfolio printout?

Thanks for any info on this.

Right * (However many questions you asked)

There is no specific format for the LOR. Make sure you waive your right to see the LOR by selecting confidential. Also, make sure your professor includes this confidentialiy agreement (the thing with the barcode) along with the LOR. The prof can upload, fax, or regular mail to interfolio. Once interfolio recieves them you will be notified and then can send them out whenever you want. LOR are needed for secondaries not primary application through AMCAS.

what do you do about instances where the school requires evaluation/reference forms in *addition* to the LOR.....would the professor have to scan the forms and then upload them onto interfolio or just mail the form to interfolio with the printed waive of access form.....seems like same amount of work as just mailing them off to the specific school in the first place....:cool:

those that have used Interfolio, did you use the evaluation form that Interfolio provides? or did you just use the ones that the schools sent to you?