Intermittent Fasting in pod school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Racer543

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I stumbled upon the topic of intermittent fasting (eating within an 8 hour period and fasting the rest of the 16 hours) and since then have been researching the topic. I was wondering if anyone that works out tried intermittent fasting. Based on the amount of time required to study and use your brain, do you guys think it's possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Its. the. bomb. I lost an insane amount of weight utilizing it. Cravings for sugar are gone (although I still eat it in forms of apples , pears and watermelon during my munch period). I was so out of shape in December it was gluttonous. my BMI was 35 and this morning it's 26. IF has been proven to decrease peripheral insulin resistance. For someone who was as fat as me, IF probably did wonders to my CV system and my poor pancreas. I know this sounds like a fairy tale. But if you PM me I can link you my reddit account and you can read my story and progress there in detail as well as proof of progress - no perv pics don't worry lol. Now this isn't all because of IF. Calories IN vs Calories out. Thats as simple as it gets. But IF has helped me develop tremendous self control and eliminated my cravings for unhealthy crap.

Ive been doing for the last 3 months. Hasn't impeded my grades or anything. Playing lots of sports. Like i was playing 2 hours of pick up hockey while hitting the gym and having lab/clinic / didactic etc. Cant praise it enough.
If your worried about your brain function I wouldn't. Your brain loves to eat those ketone bodies when you fast. My grades actually went up this semester. I don't wanna just say its IF but loosing weight increased my self confidence so i just feel overall better and maybe that helped my studying habits.

I don't eat from 9 pm - 4 pm Monday - Monday. For purists I guess I'm not a true IF-er because i do indulge in a coffee in the morning with 2 milks and 2 sweetners. But **** it I'm not stopping that.

If you plan doing it. DO NOT DO IT COLD TURKEY. ITS A PROGRESSION. you will relapse most likely 100% after 2 days if you do it cold turkey. Week 1: skip breakfast. **** that meal. I think breakfast is the most overrated meal of the day. And i feel like that dogma will shift in the future. then eventually try skipping lunch. or snacking very lightly.

Edit : people will think your insane , just don't tell them or tell them you ate. Its so annoying.

Cheers

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was a former D1 full scholarship college athlete. After graduating I just didn't have any drive to workout, mostly because all my drive to exercise was centered around the competitive aspect of it- I was always looking towards the next race, qualifying time, etc. Without that, I just can't find the motivation to stick to any exercise routine. As a result, I've become.... irregular around the margins.

I started intermittent fasting out of time management necessity. Basically, one giant meal around 10 am and then a small one before bed. I lost a serious amount of weight considering I was doing no exercise. People will say it is unhealthy, but the notion of 'lots of small frequent meals is good for your metabolism' is one of those unfounded, largely accepted nutritional models. We didn't evolve to consume energy in that manner. The 3 meals/ day is entirely a social construct, not a biological one.

Basically.. I intermittently fast out of necessity but have been performing as well/better because of it. I find my focus goes up towards the end of my fast.

Reactions: 1 users
Wasn't too bad. I was hungry a lot though.