Intern Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etno

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school graduates in June, while most residencies start in July. I won't have my intern hours done. Do you know if most residencies will allow me to obtain my hours in the first few weeks in the program? Georgia law doesn't allow us to get hours while school is in session, but my school is year round, so I don't have time to complete my 500 hours. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by your school is year round? If you have never had a free summer since starting pharmacy school, then I would think your school would have encountered this situation before and would be able to give you advice. Plus, residency programs would be more sympathetic to your plight in this situation.

However, if you mean just your 4th year on rotation is year round like basically every other school in the country, and you still don't have your intern hours done....yikes, that's kind of a pickle you got yourself in. I guess my advice would be to try to negotiate a later start date for your residency, or speak with the residency director...it never hurts to ask- the worst they can say is no.

Members don't see this ad :)
in iowa, you can get 8 hours a week counted during the academic year... not much but if your state allows it you better start getting those 8 hours every week.

My school graduates in June, while most residencies start in July. I won't have my intern hours done. Do you know if most residencies will allow me to obtain my hours in the first few weeks in the program? Georgia law doesn't allow us to get hours while school is in session, but my school is year round, so I don't have time to complete my 500 hours. Thank you.

Not likely - most programs require you to be licensed as a pre-req to beginning... Where do you go such that you are short on hours???

~above~

almost everything that I've seen has "eligible to be licensed" by August or so.

The only variation in my pile is California, and everyone has warned me what a bitch they are to deal with.

so, I would bring this up at interviews. Not sure how to do it, but you have to make a plan to get licensed, you know?

Unless you plan to do your residency in Georgia, I don't think it really matters. Let's say you want to do your residency in, for the sake of example, Ohio. Then you don't need to complete those extra 500 hours. Ohio takes the 1500 hours that the school gives you without requiring extra hours. There are many other states out there that don't require extra hours or allowed the hours to be obtained while in school. So unless you want to do your residency in Georgia, then you have to find a way to get the hours. Other than that, I don't think you even really have anything to worry about. I don't even plan to get my license in the state that I go to school, but that's just me.