Intern pay question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AF M4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was checking up on doing a pre-lim transitional year in the civilian world in case I don't match with the AF, and I came across this document on the AF's personnel site. Can anyone interpret this? I was especially curious about the whole pay thing...is the AF planning on paying me captain's pay during my internship year? Seems like a pretty sweet deal for the civvie institution if they don't have to pay me.

Attached is an example of the Training Affiliation Agreement that will be required for applicants who are selected for civilian sponsored training by the Joint Service Graduate Medical Education Selection Board. The agreement is between the Air Force and the civilian institution.

Applicants seeking civilian sponsored training should forward a copy of the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) Training Affiliation Agreement the civilian institution to ensure that the civilian institution is able to meet the conditions of the agreement, should the applicant be approved for training. At this time, the form should be routed for informational purposes only. The applicant is not authorized to have the form officially routed or approved by the civilian training institution until after selection for civilian sponsored training by the JSGMESB.

If the applicant has any questions about the process of soliciting/obtaining civilian sponsored training, please contact the AFPC/DPAME, Physician Education Branch, at DSN 665-2638, (210) 565-2638 or (800) 531-5800.

If the civilian institution has any questions regarding the training agreement, please contact the Lt Col Ware at:

JAMES H. WARE, Lt Col, USAF, MSC, CHE
Chief, Healthcare Education Division
AFIT, Civilian Institution Programs
Voice: DSN 785-2259 x3027; 1-800-543-3490 x3027; (937) 255-2259 x3027
Fax: (937) 255-5371; DSN: 785-5371
AFIT/CIM
BLDG 16 RM 120
2275 D STREET
WPAFB OH 45433-7221
E-mail: [email protected]
CI Website: http://ci.afit.edu/
CIM Website: http://ci.afit.edu/CIM/default.asp

MEMORANDUM FOR TRAINING INSTITUTION

550 C STREET W, SUITE 27
RANDOLPH AFB TX 78150-4729

SUBJECT: Medical Residency/Fellowship Agreement

1. We understand that an Air Force military officer, named in the attached agreement, has been accepted for residency/fellowship training by your institution for the periods indicated in the attached agreement. We further understand that the training to be furnished is gratuitous and voluntary, and will be accomplished without cost to the Government other than the pay and allowances of a commissioned Air Force officer.

2. Military officers may not receive compensation in the form of earnings, housing allowances or payments, because they are receiving compensation for these from the Government. They may, however, accept any other benefits, which are normally given to other students in similar circumstances.

3. If you find the agreement acceptable, have it signed on behalf of your institution by the person authorized to do so and return it to:

HQ AFPC/DPAME
550 C STREET W, SUITE 27
RANDOLPH AFB TX 78150-4729

The Air Force officer will not be able to start training at your institution until
both your institution and the Air Force sign this agreement.

4. If you have any questions or concerns about this agreement, please contact
Lt Col Ware at [email protected] or (937) 255-3151 x3027.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.

JAMES H. WARE, Lt Col, USAF, MSC, CHE
Assoc Dean/Chief, Health Care Ed Div
Civilian Institution Programs
Air Force Institute of Technology
MEDICAL RESIDENCY/FELLOWSHIP AGREEMENT

1. It is understood that ______________________________________ will take
(First name, MI, Last Name)
residency/fellowship training at _____________________________________in
(Name of Training Institution)
__________________ concurrently with his/her official Air Force duties from
(Specialty)

________________ to _______________.
(Start Date of Training) (Completion Date of Training)

2. It is understood that the training he/she will receive at this institution will be at no expense to the Government with the exception of the pay and allowances to which the trainee is entitled as a commissioned officer in the United States Air Force. It is also understood that the resident/fellow is prohibited from receiving a salary from the institution for his/her services as a resident/fellow. This does not preclude the institution from providing benefits other than salary that are incidental to the education/training. It is further understood that attendance at professional meetings or courses, required by the institution, and supplies and equipment, normally required as a part of his/her residency/fellowship, will be at no expense to the Government unless it is the normal policy at the institution that all residents/fellows in the same or similar training programs are individually responsible for financing such costs.

3. The institution agrees that the resident/fellow is an Air Force Officer training under authority of lawful orders issued by the Air Force. Accordingly, while performing such training, the resident/fellow is acting within the scope of his/her employment with the Air Force under Federal law. The provisions of 28 United States Code, section 2679, will immunize the resident/fellow from individual tort liability. It is understood that the United States will protect the liability of the resident/fellow only, and the United States may, in its representation of the resident/fellow, assert any defense available under State and Federal law. Although the resident/fellow is an Air Force Officer, for the purposes of liability the resident/fellow is a servant of the institution. This is because the resident/fellow will be performing duties under the exclusive control and for the primary benefit of the institution. Therefore, the institution agrees to provide, at its own expense, professional liability insurance in an amount that will satisfy all foreseen or reasonably foreseeable claims made against the resident/fellow, as well as to provide legal representation to the resident/fellow. The institution will notify the Air Force of the extent and nature of any applicable malpractice insurance and whether such insurance includes the resident/ fellow.

4. The institution agrees not to seek indemnification from the United States, the Air Force or the resident/fellow for any settlement, verdict or judgment resulting from any claim or lawsuit arising out of the performance of the resident/fellow’s professional duties in accordance with the terms of this agreement. The institution further agrees to furnish to the Air Force any and all documentation the Air Force considers necessary for the resolution of any claims or lawsuits against the United States arising from residency/fellowship as well as the evaluation of resident/ fellow’s professional qualifications.

5. The right is reserved for either party hereto to terminate this training agreement at any time by serving notice on the other party thirty days in advance of such action.

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
AFIT/CIM

________________ JAMES H. WARE, Lt Col, USAF, MSC, CHE
(Date Signed) Assoc Dean/Chief, Health Care Ed Div
Civilian Institution Programs
Air Force Institute of Technology

________________ _______________________________
(Date Signed) (Name/Address/Phone of Institution)

__________________________ ______________________
(Typed Name & Title) (Signature)

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping this up with the hope someone has the answer----I'm curious about this also.:confused:

The contract you have posted looks like some sort of FTOS (Full Time Out Service) contract..... where you're on active duty (hence collecting pay, retirement time and benefits) during residency. This program is for people doing residency/fellowship (not internship) and is never ever offered to people straight out of medical school. Typically people who participate in the program have done an internship and spent some time on active duty in a GMO capacity.

If you match to a residency deferment or get a one-year internship deferment you are off the military payroll. The pay issue sucks, but I'd still encourage you to consider deferning for a residency or internship.....

Members don't see this ad :)
The contract you have posted looks like some sort of FTOS (Full Time Out Service) contract..... where you're on active duty (hence collecting pay, retirement time and benefits) during residency. This program is for people doing residency/fellowship (not internship) and is never ever offered to people straight out of medical school. Typically people who participate in the program have done an internship and spent some time on active duty in a GMO capacity.

If you match to a residency deferment or get a one-year internship deferment you are off the military payroll. The pay issue sucks, but I'd still encourage you to consider deferning for a residency or internship.....

AS DaveB mentioned, the above contract is for a FTOS type contract.

When I got a 1 year defferment to do a civilian internship, The Hospital payed me just like the rest of the interns, and the Navy pretty much forgot that I existed until the detailer started looking for a GMO billet to put me into.

One good thing about it is, that when you do come on active duty, the Navy does give you credit for 1 year of service for pay purposes but not for retirement purposes.

good luck, and enjoy the sandbox.

i want out

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the clarification - the AF personnel site wasn't clear. At this point I just assume that they'll mess up whatever they're doing, and so I get to be pleasantly surprised if something goes smoothly.

I'm coming around to the idea of doing a civilian internship...I'm not married and have no kids (that I know of) so spending a year someplace different could be a fun time. And as my ER advisor says, after you finally make attending you're basically just hanging around waiting for death.

Vote Democratic so that I get that chance.

That contract is for a sponsored slot which is different than a deferred slot. Sponsored spots pay you active duty pay while deferred spots leave your pay up to the program you match to.

Sponsored positions used to be a 2 year pay back for every year they paid, I'm not sure if that's still true.