Intern Year ITE Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeslaCoil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does the ITE exam matter in intern year? I know everyone says not to go out of our way to study for this thing, but I've seriously never walked into a test with zero preparation. Having just gotten step 3 out of the way, its pretty hard to pick up another book without even having received my Step 3 scores back yet. So really, how seriously should I take this exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Try reading or re-reading baby Miller. For CA-1 read M&M, and do Hall, TrueLearn, M5, Ace books, and openanesthesia in that order. Also I read Parts of Barash.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to know what an intern ITE even means - most categorical programs have minimal if any exposure to clinical anesthesiology at that point. Those that incorporate significant anesthesia rotations into intern year will obviously have much more direct exposure on exam topics which isn't exactly a level playing field.

Our program does not use it in any formal way (unlike subsequent years where poor performance can land one on probation), we opt instead to use a passing score on Step 3 as soft requirement for promotion to PGY-2 (and mandatory for PGY-3). Think of it as a dry run to see what anesthesiology-specific exams are like (think quick hits as compared to the War and Peace-length clinical novettes of USMLE land), you might be surprised on how much you can deduce from general medicine knowledge. I personally used it as an opportunity to brush up on anesthesia-specific pharmacology/physiology and performed relatively well.

Reactions: 1 user
The ITE's are remarkably non anesthesia specific (at least that's how they were all 3 years I took them which wasn't that long ago). I always thought an internist could score decently on the ITE's so don't worry too much. You may not know the anesthesia specific stuff on there, but you will know a lot of the general medical knowledge stuff that is the majority of the exam. That being said, having to take the ITE prior to CA1 year is ******ed.

Reactions: 1 users