Intern year requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agdoc04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the requirements that must be fulfilled to count for INtern year in PM&R?
For example, x months inpatient + y months of critical care (CCU, MICU)

I've been displaced to the Texas medical center due to Ike, and I am ready to either 1. get back to Galveston 2. Do electives somewhere not an hour drive, and 200 bucks a month to park.
They are transitioning us back in, and I'm hoping that my Prelim medicine status can be manipulated to meet the above goals.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's any such ICU requirements for PM&R, thank god. That's about the opposite end of the inpatient spectrum.

You need at least 6 months combined rotations that provide “clinical fundamentals”: IM, FM, surgery, peds, EM, OB/GYN. Llenroc is right – there is no formal ICU requirement, or even inpatient requirement per se. Theoretically, you could do 12 months of outpatient rotations. But since you are a lowly intern, you get assigned the grunt rotations, and your individual program will determine how much ICU time you get.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're right agdoc04. I'm doing NO inpatient medicine wards or ICU/CCU. And I believe you can only do 8 weeks of non-patient-contact work...this was important b/c my program does each rotation by calendar month (not 4 week blocks). This meant I could only do one radiology rotation b/c it's technically 4.3 weeks each. A research month would be included as no patient contact as well. That's the only stipulation I know of (and of course the 6 months of medicine/surgery.

And I believe you can only do 8 weeks of non-patient-contact work... A research month would be included as no patient contact as well. That's the only stipulation I know of (and of course the 6 months of medicine/surgery.

Hi, where can I find more information regarding this?

I am trying to plan my TY.

thank you

Anyone know of other PM&R programs with strong outpatient focus during PGY-1 besides LSU?

Anyone know of other PM&R programs with strong outpatient focus during PGY-1 besides LSU?

I think Michigan state offers some PM&R time for interns. I know there are various schools of thought on TY's / intern years and a lot of PM&R folks shoot for the easiest one they can find. You may regret that at 2 am on the rehab unit. I would advise a solid intern year (not an abusive one though either).

University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio(my alma) typically has pretty good outpatient months during PGY1. But that's because the Intern year is spread over 2 yrs, so you get to do PM&R during the first year as well as some other off service outpatient months. And the "Inpatient" PM&R months usually have outpatient clinic anyway...so it's never really an "Inpatient Only" experience.

UVA has the best prelim year in the country IMO if you match into a categorical prelim position.