Intern year sucks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOsaintsfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nothing new here. I just need to vent. I'm doing my best to stay positive and I know it will end in the not so distant future.

I simply want to say, this year sucks.... that's all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The only good thing about this year is finishing another monthly rotation, or discharging and deleting oatients fron the sign out.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only good thing about this year is finishing another monthly rotation, or discharging and deleting oatients fron the sign out.

Crossing them off and removing them from the printed list always felt so incredibly satisfying and strangely fulfilling... until you come in the next day with two more pages of overnight admissions.

How do people do this for 3 years? Especially at a VA? It's such an incredibly unsatisfying job to be an underpaid social worker.

Reactions: 1 user
Crossing them off and removing them from the printed list always felt so incredibly satisfying and strangely fulfilling... until you come in the next day with two more pages of overnight admissions.

Yea and half the people you discharged the day before are in the overnight admissions... :arghh:

Reactions: 1 users
Intern year is tough, no question about that, but it is in my opinion the most important year of your career, especially if you are fortunate enough to have a medicine internship.
Learn everything you can learn, even if you think it's irrelevant to your anesthesia future.

Reactions: 5 users
Intern year is tough, no question about that, but it is in my opinion the most important year of your career, especially if you are fortunate enough to have a medicine internship.
Learn everything you can learn, even if you think it's irrelevant to your anesthesia future.

But I feel like I'm not even learning much. I'm just too exhausted and annoyed to actually take some things in. I hate managing so many patient's at once; it's hard for me to focus.

Btw thanks for making his thread, OP. I was literally about to make the same vent thread.

Transfer to ECU. Eternal Care Unit

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
But I feel like I'm not even learning much. I'm just too exhausted and annoyed to actually take some things in.

Trust me, you are learning way more than you currently realize. Take a minute to think how you are as a doc now compared to July.

But I feel like I'm not even learning much. I'm just too exhausted and annoyed to actually take some things in. I hate managing so many patient's at once; it's hard for me to focus.

Btw thanks for making his thread, OP. I was literally about to make the same vent thread.

You are learning how to function while mentally and physically exhausted. You are learning how to triage/prioritize your thoughts/actions to care for more than one patient at a time. You are also learning the basics of acute care of things like COPD, CHF, MI, diabetes, hypertension, sepsis, etc which is what you will do all day long in the OR for the rest of your career.

From the outside, people look at anesthesia as intubating and doing spinals and what not. Those monkey skills are about 1% of what you do. Most of what you do is be the patient's internist in the acute operative setting and manage their medical conditions to optimize their surgical outcome.

m

I think a surgery internship is equally if not more valuable. I learned how to manage the stuff we commonly deal with while also learning procedural skills. And the best benefit of all was participating in surgical procedures so I knew what was happening and could anticipate future steps and possible badness.

m

I think a surgery internship is equally if not more valuable. I learned how to manage the stuff we commonly deal with while also learning procedural skills. And the best benefit of all was participating in surgical procedures so I knew what was happening and could anticipate future steps and possible badness.

Procedural skills can wait, but having an understanding of surgical procedures is why I tell ca-1s that they should be reading jaffe/bmj anesthesia review for X procedure before every case and actually watching the procedure intraop, either over the drape or on the monitors. My experience as a resident was that surgeons were much more likely to listen to you about whether the patient was doing well or was adequately relaxed when you weren't some nameless, faceless goon sitting down for a game of sudoku.

yup. #u*% intern year. over it. there is, by far, more being everyone else's scut ***** than learning anything truly useful, IMHO.

Trust me, you are learning way more than you currently realize. Take a minute to think how you are as a doc now compared to July.

A much, much more jaded and cynical doc, that's for sure.

Reactions: 3 users
As long as I'm not on an inpatient service where there are multiple patients trying to die on me, someone is going crazy on a different floor and nurses paging me off the hook I'm okay

As long as I'm not on an inpatient service where there are multiple patients trying to die on me, someone is going crazy on a different floor and nurses paging me off the hook I'm okay

I remember getting a page about someone with a post-void residual of 200mL during a code. The nurse came to find me to scold me about not answering my page (code still running). The nurse-in-charge looked at her and was like "wtf, go away" - never seen her again.