International Baccalaureate (IB) - recognized by dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdndds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

In high school I completed the International Baccalaureate Diploma programme, which I guess is somewhat comparable to AP. Due to the grade I earned in IB, when I started my BSc I was given credit for 1 year of biology, 1 year of english, 1 year of geography, and 4 semesters of general science electives, totalling 1 year of credit.

As a result, I will only be finishing my second year of university this month, but will be graduating 1 year from now. Therefore, my school considers me a 3rd year student.

While I know these courses will not count towards my GPA, does anybody know if most dental schools recognize IB credits? I've taken several upper level biochem, microbio, and genetics classes so I'm not really worried about fulfilling the biology requirement, I'm more concerned about the year of english most dental school's require.

Also, would it be frowned upon that I've only been in university for 2 years? I will have a degree and will have completed all the prereqs before Sept. 2013, but I'm still a bit anxious

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You said you received IB credit for 1 year of Biology and English? From my understanding, there's probably no school that will accept the Biology credit. For English, most schools will not, however some will. They're the equivalent to AP credit as far as the Dental Schools will see that credit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe schools will replace lower level credits with upper level electives. To verify call the schools of your choice.

For Example: If you received credit for biology 1 & 2 in high school. An advanced cell biology could take a slot.

^Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. I just have not taken any other english courses, so I'm a bit worried

I was an IB student too, and if I remember correctly, dental schools treated IB credits and AP credits the same. So if they don't accept APs from high school, they won't accept IB credits. For some schools I had to take a basic English class senior yr of undergrad.

UCSF had me submit my IB scores to them to fulfill the english pre-req so some schools do. Verify with each school so that doesn't hold you back. usually it's stated on the schools' websites