international dentist for ortho residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chaela

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I posting this in the hopes of finding out how much of a chance I have at being accepted for Ortho residency in the States.

I am a dentist from an asian country.
I got my dental licence in 2008, specialized in OMFS (finished in 2012), and am now working as a dentist in my home country. My english is quite fluent since I have lived in an english-speaking country throughout my whole childhood.

I have a DDS, and a MSD degree (masters).
I have an OMS training on my back which is supposedly one of my forte in my cv at the moment (well, so my american dentist friend says)
I don't have much publications except two papers which I was a co-author for.
I have presented a number of times (about 8~10 posters/oral presentations at various conferences -mostly on orthognathics)
I have had teaching experiences at a dental school teaching dental students for about a year.
And, I have been teaching aspiring dentists implantology for about 2 years, in collaboration with implant companies.

I don't have much experience with orthodontics unfortunately. I have participated in a couple of ortho seminars (which sparked my interest in ortho in the first place).

My worry is that I have no idea where I stand with respect to getting accepted. Do I even stand a chance?? I know for a fact that it is much more difficult (if not impossible) for a foreign trained dentist to get accepted into Specialty programs in the US.

Thank you in advance - any advice is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I do not mean to digress your post, but my curiosity compels me to ask: why OMS followed by Ortho?

Thanks.

I do not mean to digress your post, but my curiosity compels me to ask: why OMS followed by Ortho?

Thanks.

Purely out of interest. As I said, I participated in a couple of seminars and I found orthodontics interesting enough to want to pursue it. I enjoy surgery too but I think specializing in another field can offer me an interdisciplinary approach when I treat my patients. Call me wierd but I love the academia too, I love immersing myself in that academic enviroment where you can discuss and come up with innovative ideas, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to research every ortho residency if they need you to have US/Canada DDS/DMD to be accepted

You need to research every ortho residency if they need you to have US/Canada DDS/DMD to be accepted

Yes, I am very well aware of that situation. A lot of the programs seemed to accept foreign-trained dentists for training. But, I think It's natural to think they would have more strict rules when accepting candidates with no US license. I was wondering if my experiences and acomplishments really DO make me an eligible candidiate.

Yes, I am very well aware of that situation. A lot of the programs seemed to accept foreign-trained dentists for training. But, I think It's natural to think they would have more strict rules when accepting candidates with no US license. I was wondering if my experiences and acomplishments really DO make me an eligible candidiate.
You are an accomplished candidate, but if the residency requires you to graduate from an accredited school and you didn't unfortunately nothing matters