International Masters Before Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JamieSaysSmile

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I am considering attending the University of Edinburgh for a one-year Masters of Science program with a research component in medicinal and biological chemistry before applying to dental school.

To give some information about myself, I first applied to dental school in 2014 and was not accepted due to my DAT score. I graduated with a BA in chemistry (no research experience) from Binghamton University in 2013 with a 3.46 GPA overall and will be retaking the DAT this month. Since college, I have been employed as a dental assistant for a general dentist.

I am wondering whether a Masters (along with an improved DAT score) would be necessary to strengthen my application. However, I am worried that doing it internationally would impose more of a hardship in the long run. Has anyone done a Masters program abroad and can provide some insight? I've called admissions for a handful of dental schools, and some told me I can do it but would need the degree evaluated by ECE (Educational Credentials Evaluators).

I would LOVE the experience of going to school abroad and have always wanted it even before undergrad, but I don't know if this is too risky. Thank you, everyone! 🙂
 
This is definitely more something I WANT to do. I understand that none of the dental schools require Masters degrees or research experience, but I just want to better my application since I wasn't accepted when I last applied and graduated three years ago already. More people have been telling me to get my DAT score up and to continue dental assisting. Thanks for your reply!
 
Hi everyone! I am considering attending the University of Edinburgh for a one-year Masters of Science program with a research component in medicinal and biological chemistry before applying to dental school.

To give some information about myself, I first applied to dental school in 2014 and was not accepted due to my DAT score. I graduated with a BA in chemistry (no research experience) from Binghamton University in 2013 with a 3.46 GPA overall and will be retaking the DAT this month. Since college, I have been employed as a dental assistant for a general dentist.

I am wondering whether a Masters (along with an improved DAT score) would be necessary to strengthen my application. However, I am worried that doing it internationally would impose more of a hardship in the long run. Has anyone done a Masters program abroad and can provide some insight? I've called admissions for a handful of dental schools, and some told me I can do it but would need the degree evaluated by ECE (Educational Credentials Evaluators).

I would LOVE the experience of going to school abroad and have always wanted it even before undergrad, but I don't know if this is too risky. Thank you, everyone! 🙂

You'll probably have a hell of a time doing all that. Just do a US program