This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shasha21

Reaction score
Hello everyone.I am an IMG planning to apply for match this year.I have pretty decent CV with pending step2 CK which I am planning to take next month.My problem is that I have pending Green Card through my Spouse which I had expected to arrive by January,2019.But the dates are running really slow so I am not sure if I would be able to get it on time.As my spouse is a PR herself, I am not able to get EAD card and as my GC is in process, I do not qualify for J1 visa. So, my questions are:
1. If i do not have it by match day but have it by beginning of July,Is it acceptable?
2. I could apply fo H1b by going for step3 and probably I will if I can, But the no. of H1B visa sponsoring programs are very few and what happens If i get matched to one which doesn't sponsor H1B?
3.In the worst case scenario, if i match at a program and My Green card doesn't arrive by July. will I lose my spot?
4.What is the most accurate way to convey a program that I am a good candidate and most likely won't need visa but I might need the visa sponsorship or my residency might get little delayed if luck is not in my favor?

Please help me.Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Depends on who is defining "acceptable". From the match standpoint, you only need the GC by your start date so nothing stops a program from matching you with a pending GC. However, some (?many) programs may insist upon you actually having the GC to rank you at all, over concerns that the delays may continue and you might not have it by the start of residency.

2. Then you either have your GC by the start date, they wait for you to get your GC to start, or they waive your match when you can't start on time.

3. It's up to the program. They can waive your match and give the spot to someone else. They can decide to wait.

4. In your ERAS app, you list your citizenship status as "Pending Application for Permanent Resident". You'll then have to choose whether to answer the question "will you need a visa?" as yes and indicate an H1b, or No and indicate that you'll be on an EAD. It's your choice as to whether you want to be more detailed than that.

You should expect that this will have a large impact on your chances of getting a spot.

Reactions: 1 users
I would write pending application for residency and no for need visa - unless you have red flags on your application you should get your Green card before july. Then in a comment section add more detail and discuss during interview. Apply broadly including as many h1b visa sponsoring programs.

Reason - if you put need visa (which you dont as your GC should arrive on time), you may be screened out by filters. Be honest in your interview as to the potential for delay and a program will keep that in consideration for ranking - but at least you werent screened out by the computer.

If you dont have more updates on the gc by rank day, rank the h1b programs highest.

If you match to a non h1b program and gc doesnt happen you will loose the spot, but all other possibilities are in your favor (gc + non h1b, or no gc +h1b)

Reactions: 1 user
I have seen applications for PR take 6-12 months to be approved. Under what pathway are you applying? You've mentioned OPT, which suggests you're on an F visa.

Sure. I had a resident who did the same thing. Took 18 months, and required a 6 month LOA. Hopefully your process will go more smoothly.

Hello,
I am an IMG and i applied for a greencard in April of this year through my husband who is a doctor and a US citizen. I recently received the approval for my EAD and I will be receiving the card within the next couple of days.
My question is: since I have an EAD and I am guaranteed a greencard (hopefully, because my husband is a US citizen) can I just enter that I don’t need a visa sponsorship and I am a permenant resident? Since I will be working on an EAD even if the greencard doesn’t arrive by July 1st of next year?(hopefully it will by then)
I went through the match last year and I did not match because I needed a visa sponsorship, I just don’t want to have an issue or something that impacts my application this year if I put pending status of PR?
Thank you so much for your help

Thank you. Would suggest selecting "Pending Application for Permanent Resident", "Conditional Permanent Resident", or require visa?

You should report your current visa status, which is "Pending Application for PR". You are not a Conditional Perm Resident -- that would mean you have a Green Card.

Hello,
I am an IMG and i applied for a greencard in April of this year through my husband who is a doctor and a US citizen. I recently received the approval for my EAD and I will be receiving the card within the next couple of days.
My question is: since I have an EAD and I am guaranteed a greencard (hopefully, because my husband is a US citizen) can I just enter that I don’t need a visa sponsorship and I am a permenant resident? Since I will be working on an EAD even if the greencard doesn’t arrive by July 1st of next year?(hopefully it will by then)
I went through the match last year and I did not match because I needed a visa sponsorship, I just don’t want to have an issue or something that impacts my application this year if I put pending status of PR?
Thank you so much for your help

You should report your current visa status, not what you think you will have. Nothing is guaranteed. Report that you have an EAD. Feel free to explain somewhere in your app that you're in the process of getting a GC.

You should report your current visa status, which is "Pending Application for PR". You are not a Conditional Perm Resident -- that would mean you have a Green Card.

You should report your current visa status, not what you think you will have. Nothing is guaranteed. Report that you have an EAD. Feel free to explain somewhere in your app that you're in the process of getting a GC.
Thank you! I appreciate your help.
Will a pending case of a GC have an impact on getting interview offers?

You've erased your posts, so I don't really remember all the details. In any case, if you have an EAD, just say that. You don't need a visa if you have an EAD. The OP on this thread didn't have an EAD and was hoping for a GC, that's a much more complicated situation.

Last edited:
i am in the same situation, i have EAD and pending application for permanent residency. However when you choose this option on Eras it just asks you the state where you reside. No option to choose whether you will need a visa or state you have an EAD.
A bit confusing.

Same situation here.. how did you end up handling this? I will have my GC very soon... hopefully it won’t be too late for residency interview invitations.

I have seen applications for PR take 6-12 months to be approved. Under what pathway are you applying? You've mentioned OPT, which suggests you're on an F visa.
hi, sir do u know how it affect to my match, if i am a conditional green card holder and mistakenly put permanent green card in eras application. i even didnt know i have conditional one, i am in match now.

hi, sir do u know how it affect to my match, if i am a conditional green card holder and mistakenly put permanent green card in eras application. i even didnt know i have conditional one, i am in match now.

Usually should not be an issue. A CPR allows you to work without a visa. I am going to assume that the reason for the "condition" is your marriage. Assuming that your marriage is healthy and you'll be able to apply for removal of your condition and get a permanent green card, it shouldb't be a problem. If you will lose your CPR and need a visa, that might be a problem.

In any case, there's nothing to do about it now.

Usually should not be an issue. A CPR allows you to work without a visa. I am going to assume that the reason for the "condition" is your marriage. Assuming that your marriage is healthy and you'll be able to apply for removal of your condition and get a permanent green card, it shouldb't be a problem. If you will lose your CPR and need a visa, that might be a problem.

In any case, there's nothing to do about it now.
thanks for your reply, really appreciate it. yes my marriage is in good condition, one more question, sir my CPR has an expiry and i came to know i have to apply for removal of my condition and they will send me extension letter for 18months until they send me the hard copy of green card for 10 years. sir do i have to have valid GC for 3 year to start my residency?? do we sign residency contract for 3 years at once or do we renew it every year.
i am worried because with 18 months extension letter i couldn't able to sign a contract for 3 years.
once again thanks a lot sir for your precious time.

Hello everyone.I am an IMG planning to apply for match this year.I have pretty decent CV with pending step2 CK which I am planning to take next month.My problem is that I have pending Green Card through my Spouse which I had expected to arrive by January,2019.But the dates are running really slow so I am not sure if I would be able to get it on time.As my spouse is a PR herself, I am not able to get EAD card and as my GC is in process, I do not qualify for J1 visa. So, my questions are:
1. If i do not have it by match day but have it by beginning of July,Is it acceptable?
2. I could apply fo H1b by going for step3 and probably I will if I can, But the no. of H1B visa sponsoring programs are very few and what happens If i get matched to one which doesn't sponsor H1B?
3.In the worst case scenario, if i match at a program and My Green card doesn't arrive by July. will I lose my spot?
4.What is the most accurate way to convey a program that I am a good candidate and most likely won't need visa but I might need the visa sponsorship or my residency might get little delayed if luck is not in my favor?

Please help me.Thank you everyone!
Hello Shashah21 I am in the same situation at present. Can you please guide me how you managed the visa situation? You can reach out to me at [email protected]. I will be thankful if you can provide me your contact details to have a word with you.