International Student (French), MS application, useful diploma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Olympias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

To make a long story I failed my 1st year of med school in France (they took 119 people over 1300 applicants in my university and I ended 350)
I am now trying to find studies in France 1st which will help me fill up the prereqs to do MS in the USA and save money for MS!!

I have a plan but I am not sure if it will help me in any way to get into MS (and I already know about the TOEFL, MCAT, LOR, research if possible etc..) that's where I need your help and advice because I really don't know WHAT to study to make it less alien in an american MS. The only thing I know is that I will need the best grades possible!

I have my eye on something called Chem, Bio, Physics, Health.
I will be studying :
L1 (1st year)
- chem (general and organic)
- math applied to physics
- english
- biochem
- bio mol
- genetics
- bio cell
What do you thing of this 1st year?

Then (L2), I am quite undecided between studying
- bio cell and physio or
- biochem and bio mol (2nd and and 3rd year) for my 4th year (bachelor in the USA I guess)
I wanted to do a master called biology and health which could lead me to a research master (I don't know if it even exist in the USA !) that I get to choose between :
- neuropsychology
-neuroscience
- immuno and tropical disease
- cancero
- physiopath

Master research (M2) means that I will spend at least 6 month in a lab. I was thinking about trying to do that one in the USA?..
I am sorry if it's quite long but before starting something new in September I would like to be sure that it will lead me to the right place..

Thanks in advance, this is an amazing forum :)

Members don't see this ad.

I failed my 1st year of med school in France
I don't think any US MD schools will admit you if you've already failed out of a foreign school. the AMCAS standardized application asks if you have ever matriculated in an MD school, so all schools would know. If you try to hide it and answer no, you can be expelled even after you matriculate. Maybe a carribean school?

Oh..I didn't know that. I am going to try to figure this out :) thanks! I can still retake the year in France.. I will see. I am going to e-mail them. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey - so...I'm an american in France now and am sort of familiar with how the French med school system works. The way I think about it is that you basically take the med school prerequisites that we take at university (gen chem, organic chem, bio, physics) all crammed into your first year of medical school and then it is sort of whoever does best (I thought that there was also an exam?) that ACTUALLY starts medical school. So it's sort of like the first year is not actually medical school but more of a year to take courses to prepare you for medical school. Isn't the first year (or 2)combined now with dental students and others (kinesiotherapie?) so that if you don't make it to medical school you would have other career possibilities? I think by this definition you would not have to say that you ever enrolled in medical school if you wanted to apply to US schools. I am a little confused about your ultimate goal as well - do you want to be a physician? In the US or in France? You would definitely need the equivalent of a BA or a BS to apply for MS programs in the states and it seems that you don't have either or those degrees, that's what you're asking about obtaining(equivalent to BA pr BS), correct? And are you hoping to obtain a MS so that you can later get an MD or for some other reason? I would be very willing to help you get the US system figured out. I write in English because I'm lazy but I speak (almost) perfect french so if it's easier for you to write in French go ahead and I'll just right you back in english. (your english is good I'm just saying it would probably save you a lot of time to write in french :p) I would even give you my number here if you want and I could help you over the phone - that actually might be easier. I didn't dare apply to schools in France because it would mean that I would have totally wasted 5 years of my life - I think for you it might be the same trying toget into the american system late in the game. I think your best bet would probably be to retake your 1st year and do better. Good luck and just let me know if you want more advice! Bonne chance!

The way I think about it is that you basically take the med school prerequisites that we take at university (gen chem, organic chem, bio, physics) all crammed into your first year of medical school and then it is sort of whoever does best (I thought that there was also an exam?) that ACTUALLY starts medical school.
So it's sort of like the first year is not actually medical school but more of a year to take courses to prepare you for medical school. Isn't the first year (or 2)combined now with dental students and others (kinesiotherapie?) so that if you don't make it to medical school you would have other career possibilities?

Yes to all, and next year there will be a "reform" and pharmacy will also take PCEM1..(in addition to dental, kine, midwife)

I am a little confused about your ultimate goal as well - do you want to be a physician? In the US or in France?
Ultimate goal : be a surgeon in the US

You would definitely need the equivalent of a BA or a BS to apply for MS programs in the states and it seems that you don't have either or those degrees, that's what you're asking about obtaining(equivalent to BA pr BS), correct? And are you hoping to obtain a MS so that you can later get an MD or for some other reason?
That's why I was thinking about this path.. I've just "quit" PCEM1 and I am looking for studies which will allow me to have a bac+4 (aka BS) and maybe some research possibilities (Master 2 Recherche) and I thought that this one would be great (possibilité de stage à l'étranger and while I will be "interning" or whatever I may be able to prepare my application)

No the MS is only to be able to do some research and have some lab experiences. The main goal is definitely to be a surgeon so no other reason :)

Thanks a lot ! Really :)