International student...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosoriire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international student, a junior majoring in Microbiology/Human Biology with a specialization in women's studeis at the Michigan State University. I have a 3.5 GPA (it dropped from a 3.7 last semester after I got a C+ in Organic Cem II and a C- in STT). I have considerable volunteer, clinical and leadership experience.
I am still trying to raise my GPA, and I worry a lot about my chances for getting into a Medical School here in the US.
What do you think my chances are?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to research very carefully into which schools will accept you. Mostly it will depend on what your status is in the US (ie what type of visa you have). Many schools will only accept US citizens and holders of a green card. Also, many loans and financial aid programs are only open to US citizens, so even if you are a permanent resident, you need to think about how you will pay for school without having these options open to you.
Good luck.

I am an international student with F-1 visa studying at NSU-COM.. let me tell you this.. it is getting harder and harder.. it is used to be not that of a big deal.. at least half of the US med school accepted international students like us (like 10yrs ago..) It is really hard now to get into Allopathic Med school (MD schools) and Osteopathic Med school now.. Most of the schools don't take us...
I got accepted luckily but sometimes you just have to be lucky.. Med School Admission Process can be unfair...

class of 03
NSU-COM

PS.. your stat sounds cool ... have you taken MCAT yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
my wrong..... you are a junior..
you probably haven't taken mCAT yet... I just wanted to tell you.. plan ahead..

class of 03
NSUCOM

I'm not really bothered about financial aid or anyrthing.. I am presently on a scholarship and partial funding by my family.... Will that help?

PS I never asked DoWannaBe.... What Medial Schools did you get accepted into?