international students' acceptance in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cin1012

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if any of you are international students currently attending US med schools. If yes, what was your undergraduate experience/stats like, and what do you have to comment about international students application in general. I'm an international student on F-1 but I have been attending schools in the US since junior high. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

My cousin has been an international student since 1993, he's an F-1 visa holder till today. Here's his journey: 1993 he came as a junior in high school, did very good, ended up rank 3rd in the whole school. He then attended State University in NY and got his B.S. in Biochemistry with a 3.88 GPA and 33 MCAT. Graduated 1999 he took a year off to work using his 1 year working experience allowance on his visa and applying at the same time to U.S. Med school. He does have an extensive volunteer and hospital experience. All i know is today he is a second year medical student at Upstate Med school. So I know it is hard as hell for international students to get in but it is definitely not impossible. I know certain med schools take international student given that they get a degree from their undergraduate program, ex. University of Rochester. So if anything, get a second B.S. from U of R (probably an extra 2 years) and we'll see. Good Luck!

Dude,
You practically have to save the ozone layer to have a chance at admission to a US MD program. There are about 115 international entrees each year to US med school out of the 16000 or so that enroll. And remember, there are 45000-48000 people applying. One of my good friends from New Zealand applied to 9 US med.schools with a 37 MCAT, 12V, 13B, 12P. Not only was he well-qualified academically, his extracurricular work was very impressive as well. In the end, my friend ended up settling in an outstanding med. program in Auckland.
I wish you the best. But be realistic because if you are to do it, you must put in the time and money for applications. Well, this is not impossible, but you are going up against some crazy Vegas odds here. GOOD LUCK!

Don't worry. The US treats Jonny Foreigner better than probably any other culture.
Mikado