International Studies Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhamKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
International Studies is my major, Pre-Med professional program. How bad is that to have when applying to Med Schools? I know I also have Korean as my foreign language. It's considered a level 5 language, but it's not that worthwhile state-side.

(I was thinking of talking to my advisor if there is some sort of International Health degree- or if I can use the design your own degree option to achieve that.)

What about majoring in Health Care Administration and doing Pre-Med. Is that appealing to both Med Schools and hospitals looking to hire? Or perhaps Kinesiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That is not bad at all! I think most people on SDN agree that you need to major in what you like. As long as you can keep up your science and overall gpa you will be fine, and that major will also help you stand out.

I am a kinesiology major and unless it really interests you, don't do it because it can get annoyingly boring. I thought I liked it because I was a student-athlete and that's just the typical thing to study since we are all into sports and what not, but I found that I enjoyed the medical sciences and molecular sciences much better and it just became too basic for me. I am not trying to be arrogant, it really just didn't fit my personality and desires to learn.

Most people think that having a very different major is good. I say this to my friends all the time, if I had the chance to go back and decide what I wanted to major in, I would have chosen piano. It truly takes devotion, motor skills, and a different type of intellect to be a good piano player (rather say that than pianist). Do what you enjoy and just make sure you do well in pre-med courses and you'll be good.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My thought on Health Care Administration was moreover a career choice. I was thinking maybe a Doctor who knows how stuff needs to run and work and understands the business aspect to Medicine would seem appealing to a Hospital.

I do love international studies <3 Korea <33333. I hope I can scrounge money up or get in some program to go to the Olympics in Pyeongchang.

Possibly, but that's what an MPH will get you, not necessarily a bachelor's in health administration. If epidemiology is your thing, then why not attempt that before going in? It's not bad if you want to become a hospital administrator and practice medicine. Lot's of old guys just burn out and end up taking on an administrative role in hospitals.

MPH? And all I know is I love International Studies, but I know it's not highly though of.

masters in public health. like i said, it doesnt matter what your degree is so long as you crush the premedical courses and the mcat, while doing your part in the community and whatever it takes to get you inspired to have a career in medicine, youll be ok

For what it's worth, I am also an International Studies major, with Arabic instead of Korean. I started out in engineering, and wanted to work for the gov't, hence the arabic, decided it wasn't what I wanted to do, and am now a year away from applying to med school with not a lot of time to get all the ECs I wish I had. My only advice is get started on ECs if you haven't already.

I think IS is a valid major, your get exposed to a lot of complex issues and I tailored my degree toward global security and health. I love the major, and am now fitting in my pre-reqs(most taken care of in engineering, but not as well as I would have liked) and starting volunteering this fall. Am trying to get into a neurosurg lab with a prof this fall, and am going to try to find someone to shadow, maybe even that prof(also a neurosurgeon.) Point is, if you can fit in all the pre-reqs, ECs and experiences in with the IS degree, go for it.

I wouldn't redo my academic career, it gave me a life lesson and a newly found interest, even if it did hinder my gpa(3.4-3.6 by the time I apply). Do what you love and demonstrate that interest in your personal statement. I don't know how it will look trying to get involved at the last minute, but plans change, and I'm doing the best I can to catch up. Your degree doesn't matter nearly as much as what you learned in the process. In the end, it's a piece of paper to hang on your wall. The adcoms won't care what you majored in, just that you can apply yourself and do well. Best of luck to you.