International vet schools with zoo/wildlife programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelarson

MSU Pre-Vet Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been considering going abroad for vet school (to get the experience of living in another country), and I have a strong interest in zoo and wildlife medicine, conservation, and international work. Are there any noted programs for these? I prefer to go to a school that is AVMA-accredited, but let me know of other schools, too.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We have a new wildlife centre at Sydney which everyone is very excited about. But our programme is not especially wildlife focussed in any way.

Sydney has some postgraduate courses for vets that I think are meant to be good http://www.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/wild/

Have you considered the University of Pretoria? I'm not sure if their programme has much of a wildlife focus either, but being in South Africa you are surrounded by exciting wildlife opportunities. (Don't think it is AVMA accredited though???)

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at Pretoria a little bit, even though it is not AVMA-accredited. South Africa would be amazing... I would love to live there. And I did found out that tuition each year would be about $8,000!!! (assuming I did the currency conversion correctly). Would there be a huge disadvantage going there since it's not AVMA?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Onderstepoort is South Africa's only veterinary school, but its facilities and faculty are first-class. Not AVMA accredited and you graduate with an undergraduate BVSc, which is equivalent to a DVM. OP has slots for about 10 international students a year, and are on a quota to make their acceptance mirror the demographics of our country. I've been at OP and done a lot of field research on ungulates. South Africa is my home (along with the States), I speak Afrikaans, and I'd definitely love to chat with any of you interested in OP! Send me a PM if you like.

Cheers!

Is Onderstepoort associated with the University of Pretoria? Are they truly one-and-the-same?

Yes, the undergrad (BVSc) and grad (MMedVet, MSc etc) Veterinary Faculty at the University of Pretoria is at Onderstepoort (OP), while the prereq BSc in Veterinary Biology is at the U Pretoria campus. When South Africans refer to OP, we usually mean the veterinary school, but OP also encompasses the OP Veterinary Research Institute (OVI does a lot of tropical epizoology) and a biological vaccine plant as well. All work cooperatively...

I have recently been considering going abroad for vet school (to get the experience of living in another country), and I have a strong interest in zoo and wildlife medicine, conservation, and international work. Are there any noted programs for these? I prefer to go to a school that is AVMA-accredited, but let me know of other schools, too.

Thanks!

I have met a couple grads from Pretoria. The education sounds very extensive and excellent for a broad variety of species.

I went on a tour of the Ondestepoort facilities and they are incredible.

There was a girl dissecting a baby elephant as we went by!

As well as the remarkably economical tuition, the costs of living in South Africa are much lower than most places you might go to vet school.

Do you think OP is highly regarded enough to get a job in the U.S. as easily as graduating from a school in the States? I realize it is not AVMA accredited, but do you know if they have tried and failed, or were just never reviewed for accreditation? Everything I'm hearing on this board is very positive about their vet school... excellent facilities, broad curriculum, great capacity to work with wildlife, etc.

One more bump, just in case anyone else has a comment...

I was considering going to OP, and still am to some degree. I went and saw the school through a program termed "Vets in the Wild" provided through AUIP. Awesome program, good way to see the school.

The school looked good to me. It's bigger than some of the U.S. schools I've been through and older. While you aren't going to have your fancy MRIs, the quality of teaching I am sure is top notch.

My friend's aunt graduated from there YEARS ago. She had a hard time certifying to become a veterinarian over here, but I am not sure if that was just her personality or not. She did get certified, it's just another, extra obstacle to tackle. She still has a farm in Pretoria and visits there, but works out of the US now due to financial incentives.

I also went there through "Vets in the Wild" :laugh:

*high fives Hollycoza*

Didn't happen to have Garth as your tour guide, did you? Boy, he pissed everyone off on my trip but I thought he was a great all around guy with stressed out tendencies. ;)