This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vet66

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am an international student, in college in the US at the moment. I would like to keep my options open as to where I would like to work after completing my degree in vet med (US or Europe). Is there an advantage to choosing an international vet school (eg Glasgow)? Or does a degree from a US vet school allow someone to work in Europe as well?

thanks!
 
Hi,

I am an international student, in college in the US at the moment. I would like to keep my options open as to where I would like to work after completing my degree in vet med (US or Europe). Is there an advantage to choosing an international vet school (eg Glasgow)? Or does a degree from a US vet school allow someone to work in Europe as well?

thanks!

If you go to a US school, you are able to register for a license in the UK (provided your NAVLE score is high enough), without further testing - but you would still have to get the appropriate work Visas, etc. Elsewhere in Europe & Asia, it probably depends on the country, so you can look up the specifics (probably based on which languages you speak - i.e. you won't care about Poland's regulations if you don't speak Polish).
 
Hey, I'm a vet student from Ireland. Just so you know - in terms of if you ever wanted to work in Europe - vets here get paid significantly less. Think around 30,000 euro (~35k dollars) for a new grad. Given the loans most US vet students build up, working here is unfortunately not an option. Just something to keep in mind.
 
Anyone know if U Sydney required GRE scores? I don't see anything on their website about it and VMCAS website says to check with the school. Happy to email admissions there, but thought I'd check here first.