Internship Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmtastic

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My question is about the 1500 hours of internship required for the NAPLEX. I know many states don't require us to report this any more but CA, which is where I live and intend to practice, does. Are we required to do intern work during those hours in order for them to be counted? I'm doing an "internship" at Walgreens right now but my work is almost all tech jobs. Are my hours still counted as "intern" hours? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!
 
My question is about the 1500 hours of internship required for the NAPLEX. I know many states don't require us to report this any more but CA, which is where I live and intend to practice, does. Are we required to do intern work during those hours in order for them to be counted? I'm doing an "internship" at Walgreens right now but my work is almost all tech jobs. Are my hours still counted as "intern" hours? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!
as long as you are working as an intern, those hours count. actually, alot of the work as interns is similar to that of techs, but also you can do whatever the pharmacist does, with supervision. hope this helps.
 
Any work you do which is signed off by a supervising pharmacist will qualify for intern hours. However....there is a limit to how many "academic" hours will qualify (like working in a lab doing research for example). I think those will only qualify for half.

Also....the hours you put in for a class - like a rotation, will not qualify for intern hours - you can't get class credit & intern credit for the same hours.

1500 hours is really easy to acquire during the course of 3-4 years.